Thread: Help setting up my scrope properly.

Help setting up my scrope properly.

I'm new to this cross bow thing.So i need your help please.Here is my issue.I mounted my scope and leveled .I had a 4 foot level across the bow limbs.Making sure the bubble was dead on.Then i took a smaller lever and put across the top of the scope cover on top of the scope.Got that leveled with the bow limbs.Both bubbles where dead center.I tighten everything down. yes everything looks dead on.Now when i look thru the scope and i'm looking at the cross hairs in the scope.The cross are not straight.Vertical lines are on an angle to the left.It appears that i need to rotate the scope to the right to get the cross hairs to be straight.
    Is this normal or im i doing something wrong.Please help me here guys.

Deer hunting with my crossbow

Only two answers to this I can think of:
    1. The limbs aren't level to the riser. Use your small level on the riser and your big level on the limbs to see.
    2. Your reticle is not level to the scope. Only other thing I can think of if everything else lines up.
    Check out my Youtube channel, TWANGnBANG!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TWANGnBANG

some times the turret or cover are not always perfectly flat & also crosshairs in scope Put the level back across the limbs & also the small level across the rail, then line your scope up. also u can use a self leveling transit laser level if u have one to line the cross hairs up
    2011 Bowtech Strikezone 380 - Hawke XB30 - GrimReapers-Accuspines/Blazers-FireNocks - 438gn./370fps/131.35ke/19foc
    2012 Monster MR6 - HHA - QAD Ultra Rest - K-Tech - Carbon Impact - GrimReapers/Blazers
    2013 Middleton Black 375 SS - XB30 - 20" Accuspines - 29 grn. Aluminum Moon Nocks

1 of 2 things, you are not holding the bow level relative to the limbs, or the limbs are not the correct datum for aligning the scope.

Keep on messing with it until you can 'look' through it and it 'feels' natural to you. It's nice when the bubble level agrees with what you feel and think also. It's worth it to keep at it until you're happy with it.

You can take the scope hairs off level when you tighten it down if you aren't careful.
    Vermont State Let's Go Fishing Instructor
    Vermont Bowhunting Safety Instructor
    "Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it." TR
    TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Like the last post said, you have to tighten the scope rings equally or you can throw the scope off from being level if one side is tighter then the other.

#1. Draw or tape a level line on a wall some distance from your bow.
    #2. Go back to your bench and put a level across your limbs.
    #3. While looking through the loose scope, adjust your crosshairs to match the line on the wall.
    #4. Tighten down your rings sequentially and check everything again when you're done.

You are now in a state of optical harmony.
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE,
    Zeiss 3-12x50mmDuralyt, CamX Accuspine arrows, 100gr RamCats or Spitfire Maxx & Firenocks
    Swarovski, Leica rangefinder, Surefire & Fenix lights.
    Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor.
    NRA Life Member 1971 Join up and fight to regain your rights!

I do the same thing as Duke. But use a door facing instead of tape. Its already there and plumb

Quote Originally Posted by rt2bowhunter View Post
    I do the same thing as Duke. But use a door facing instead of tape. Its already there and plumb
    Years ago I used a plumb bob until I realized my utility room doorway IS exactly plumb. After I get my crosshairs "Square with the world" I look straight up at the sky to perfectly focus my eyepiece on the 'crosshairs' only.

The eyepiece (rear) is for focusing on the reticle, the objective (front) lens is for focusing on your target. The only time you can focus your eyepiece on the crosshairs AND the target simultaneously if if you have zero parallax shooting error.

Quote Originally Posted by rt2bowhunter View Post
    exactly what I do as well ! Then if the bow is shouldered and feels right and the crosshairs are good, I look at the bubble I mounted on the bow and use it as a reference if it isn't perfectly centered ..

level.jpg
    LS 390, HHA, HHA scope L-4
    LS 390 HHA, Vortex
    Crossbow Warrior Pro Staff
    NRA Member !

Good idea Randy i might rob that off you

no problem Joe, I put a 2' level on the limbs and a torpedo on the rail and put the bubble on the scope mount and all was aligned...
    I was surprised how "off level" I held the thing...lol
    LS 390, HHA, HHA scope L-4
    LS 390 HHA, Vortex
    Crossbow Warrior Pro Staff
    NRA Member !