a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mathews Bows for 2013 Chill & Creed Reviewed.

Mathews Bows for 2013 Chill & Creed Reviewed.

I had an opportunity to shoot both the Chill and the Creed tonight.
    I passed on the ZXT as it is essentially a Z7 Extreme.

The Feel
    Both bows are lighter than average, and much lighter than the Z series or M Series bows, yet they have nothing on the Heli (very few bows do). They both felt good in the hand. The Creed had the typical walnut grip and the Chill had the focus grip. Both were comfortable, yet I had a distinct preference for the focus grip. Before you buy I suggest you try to handle both as the feel between the two are significantly different.

The Draw
    The Creed had a very straight-forward draw, with what I perceived to be an immediate build in weight that stayed crazy constant all the way to the valley. Let's talk about the valley. Mathews is not typically known for having either a large valley nor a rock solid wall. The Creed has both and they are VERY nice. I would compare the valley and wall in this bow to be much more similar to that found in the bow tech products. With the wall being so solid and the valley so pronounced I did not feel the slightest chance of creep.
    The Chill was almost the exact opposite. It had a silky smooth draw that gradually builds weight very evenly through the entire cycle. It too has a decent valley, yet the wall leaves a lot to be desired. Think mashed potatoes. While I am far from being an engineer, I feel that a disservice was done in not putting a draw stop on the cam of this bow.

The Shot
    Both bows shot extremely well, with very little vibration and virtually no bow jump. The Chill seemed to be a little more dead in the hand after the shot then did the Creed, but the difference was negligible, and a quality stabilizer will surely make this a moot point. Both bows are equally quiet, with better than average performance as far as noise. Shooting in the 330's these bows are more than fast enough to drop larger game, yet fall into the category of average as far as speed is concerned.

In summary, the decision point between these two bows comes down to two distinct flavors... How do you like your draw cycle and how do you like your wall. While I wasn't too crazy about the wall of the Chill, I really enjoyed the draw cycle and how it felt in my hand, so much so, that I am ordering the Chill and not the Creed.

While like many of you I was disappointed when I saw the information on paper, putting these bows in your hand will tell you otherwise. They are simple, yet they shoot phenomenally well. I find it hard to believe that these middle-of-the-road products from Mathews would have impressed me, yet they really really have. Don't be short sighted and write these bows off because the information on paper is just "ho-hum". You really have to shoot them to know what it is all about.

I hope you find this review helpful.

Thanks for your straight forward and honest review. I will be purchasing a new bow. Other one was 17 yrs old and a limb cracked. I uave been looking at the helium. And since you stated that they dont compare to it, will you please explain why and what sets the helim so far above all others. Thanks. I would shoot them but until i can get away for a 1 1/2 hr drive to the closest dealer i will have to read up on them as much as i can.

I am about 28-28.5 in draw. Will be hiking in colorado for elk so weight is kind of a factor. And is 290 fps with 75 lbs of ke feasible out of the helim? Also, hows it shoot at 60 yrds? Thanks.

Good review I tried the chill yesterday also and was impressed
    Bowtech Insanity black ops 70lbs, HHA DS5519, Axion Pulse
    Mathews Chill black, 70lbs, HHA, Axion Pulse rest

Nice review. How was draw cycle of Creed vs Heli?

Quote Originally Posted by ddavis_1313 View Post
    Thanks for your straight forward and honest review. I will be purchasing a new bow. Other one was 17 yrs old and a limb cracked. I uave been looking at the helium. And since you stated that they dont compare to it, will you please explain why and what sets the helim so far above all others. Thanks. I would shoot them but until i can get away for a 1 1/2 hr drive to the closest dealer i will have to read up on them as much as i can.

I am about 28-28.5 in draw. Will be hiking in colorado for elk so weight is kind of a factor. And is 290 fps with 75 lbs of ke feasible out of the helim? Also, hows it shoot at 60 yrds? Thanks.

Sorry for the lack of clarity.
    I was only referencing the weight of the Heli that was no match for the others as it is considerably lighter (as the name suggests).

Quote Originally Posted by LetThemGrow View Post
    Nice review. How was draw cycle of Creed vs Heli?
    I have shot the Heli a few months back, yet I didn't get one off the wall to compare side by side like I did the Creed vs. Chill. I can't give you a precise answer. I definitely liked the Heli for the weight, and it shot beautifully, however I can't recall the details of the draw cycle well enough to comment.

I shot both today and preferred the Creed. I like the straightforward draw and solid wall.
    Hoyt Spyder Turbo #3 RKT 29"
    Gold Tip Velocity Pro 300
    Black Gold Ascent Single Pin
    Scott Longhorn III and Carter Like Mike releases
    Grim Reaper Broadheads

Bump

I was impressed with the Chill.

Good and accurate review. I think one thing that most people over looked is when making the cam and ideler wheel bigger it made the string angle alot less agressive more like a 34-35" ata bow and it holds and shoots like a longer bow I found it phenomenal. it's so repulsive how all these grow men are fussing and crying about what they see on paper and they have never shot the bow it's rediclious. All I hear is negative comments about something they have never seen or touched all I hear is crying like a bunch of 2 year olds that Dident get what they want. Go shoot them first then talk later and put your foot in your mouth
    2011 Mathews Z7 lost camo 65# 28"__ 2012 Mission Craze
    Easton axis FMJ ____________________Easton Flatline doa
    HHA DS XL5519 sight________________Apex Axim 4 pin sight
    8" BH custom stab in lost camo________NAP apache stab
    QAD Ultra rest______________________Wisk er biscuit

Good review
    Everything is obama's fault...

I shot the Chill, Creed, Heli, ZXT, Hoyt Spider, Elite & PSE Evo-7 back to back a few days ago. I have no allegiance to any mfg. & typically don't let cost dictate my decision.
    After spending over two hours shooting these bow, the one that stood out in my opinion was the Chill.. All of the bows had some excellent qualities. But over all, the bow that felt the best to me was the Chill... Do yourself a favor & shoot all the bows you're interested in back-to-back before making a decision; the bow that is right for you will pick you.... .

I have to admit that I was one of the guys who didnt care to even shoot the new bows because of the on paper specs, well I stopped by my local Mathews dealer yesterday and decided to give them a try. They had the Creed and Chill. I have to say that for me I was not impressed at all with the Creed but the Chill really impressed me! I love the way it draws, holds and shoots. Im glad I gave it a try, changed my perspective for sure.

Bump

Update - Ordered my New Chill on Nov. 8th, 2012, Today is January 3rd, 2013. Black Bow, Blue Cables, Strings, and Servings... *** Mathews? 56 days and no bow? Deer season is almost over in Delaware. Maybe I should just get a refund, and wait for next year's bows to come around. Nah, that only screws the dealer who is not to blame. Get it together McPherson! Ordered from Delaware Outdoors Smyrna, DE 19977. Not the dealers fault.

PS. I ordered a Mission Ballistic for my son 2 weeks prior to Christmas with the same color scheme. Haven't seen that one either.

Needless to say this Christmas turned out to be a very small one since the dealer has been paid in full and the bows never arrived.

Ya im going next week to shoot the helim and the creed side by side, iv shot them in the past but never side by side. I really liked both of them, its going to be tough for me. If you had to choose helim or creed, which one would you choose?

Nice review. I agree on the draw analysis. I prefer the Helim and Chill draw over the Creed.
    Prime time is nearly upon us.

Quote Originally Posted by garyproctor View Post
    Update - Ordered my New Chill on Nov. 8th, 2012, Today is January 3rd, 2013. Black Bow, Blue Cables, Strings, and Servings... *** Mathews? 56 days and no bow? Deer season is almost over in Delaware. Maybe I should just get a refund, and wait for next year's bows to come around. Nah, that only screws the dealer who is not to blame. Get it together McPherson! Ordered from Delaware Outdoors Smyrna, DE 19977. Not the dealers fault.

PS. I ordered a Mission Ballistic for my son 2 weeks prior to Christmas with the same color scheme. Haven't seen that one either.

Needless to say this Christmas turned out to be a very small one since the dealer has been paid in full and the bows never arrived.
    Same boat here. Black + Focus grip 60#, don't care too much about the rest colorwise, but I've not gotten a date of delivery either. Sure, I'm out of the country at the moment, but heck I'm paying DOUBLE for this order compared to what I'd pay back home. I guess they didn't make my order the first run and the second was pushed past the holiday season. I don't blame them for taking an holiday, but I don't see the point of the early introduction if they cannot produce steadily.

Then again, the longing for the bow to come in does make you like it more when it does come.

We were playing with the Chill, Creed & DNA the other day. A couple of buddies/customers that are pretty picky and know what they want in a high-end bow.

One thing that really made the Chill's shot even nicer... the Heavy Harmonic Stablizer over the "Lite". Interestingly.... we did not feel any difference with the Creed.
    Mathews Z9 - HHA Slider - Trophy Taker Pronghorn Pro - B-Stinger Stabilizer - Fletcher Shorty - Grim Reaper Hybrid - Gold Tip Kinetic XT - Trueflight Feathers (Always)... _____ going to try Mission Dagger XB this season as well - Gold Tip Laser 3 - HHA Optimizer XB scope & adjustable mount system____ ___ - _________ Facebook: Hunters Choice Archery Pro Shop

I shot both and i liked the Creed better.

Totally agree with the OP's write up but also throw in the Hoyt Spyder 30 and 34. I am looking for a new bow for my son and tried these out.

Love the back wall on the Creed but really disliked the draw compared to the others. Like the others have said the Chill wall is spongy, one of the worst I have shot in a while.

The draw on the Hoyt's slowly climbs towards what feels like a hump to me at the end, but then goes into a nice valley, something I am not use to in a Hoyt with a very nice wall. It was nothing like my Invasion that stacks up very fast up front levels off then goes into a valley that is comparable to the Chill.

So out of those 4 I would choose the Chill, very nice bow, but the wall is a deal breaker for me. And with my son growing still I really need to find a bow with rotating mods.
    Bowtech Invasion #70, IQ sight, 7" Octane stabilizer, Aerorest.
    Bowtech Soldier #60, IQ sight, Trophy Ridge Revolution rest.
    Winchester Thunderbolt, lefty, biscuit and an awesome youth bow!
    CSS (Custom Shooting Systems) System 1 #70 Muzzy Zero effect, No-PeeP.

I ordered a chill yesterday and was told 9 weeks to delivery.

Shot the chill, creed,DNA and the elite hunter. Nothing compared to the back wall of the hunter. I thought i would walk away with an elite, But gotta say way blown away with the overall performances on the chill. This was the last bow I thought I would chose but hands down the best best all the way through. Absolutely nothing in the hand after the shot. Back wall was a little mushy but when you shoot this bow, you willl be very impressed. Haven't decided yet but looking at the chill overall others it was just just a great feel you have to shoot for yourselves. Actually didn't want to buy a Mathews just to buy one, but the chill just felt perfect! Ordering my chill tactical tomorrow! Just do yourself a favor and shoot one. Like I said the elite back wall is awesome, DNA speed was too aggressive, creed drew nice but after the shot just nothing compared to the chill.

Update - Ordered my New Chill on Nov. 8th, 2012, Today is January 15th, 2013. Black Bow, Blue Cables, Strings, and Servings... Mathews is suck-in-gass IMHO at this point. I see someone above said 9 weeks.... I am working on week 10, and not a peep from the company. I have but 2 more hunting weekends left this year. Get it together McPherson! Ordered from Delaware Outdoors Smyrna, DE 19977. Not the dealers fault. This is the worst experience ever. Maybe I need to talk to a hoyt representative and make the switch?

Who is the Mathews Sales Representative for Delaware? PM me pls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast