Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aging deer measuring from eye to snout

Aging deer measuring from eye to snout

A few years back, I was told about aging deer, by measuring from the bottom corner of the eye, to the tip of the snout. If I remember correctly, 4.5 inches was 1 1/2 years old, and add a year of age for every 1/4 inch. (I THINK those were the numbers).

Later that season, I killed a buck that we thought was 4.5 yrs old, and did the measurement, and it was right on.

Coincidence? Or is this a half decent way to do it?

As far as i know, Cementum aging is the only somewhat accurate method of aging after 2 1/2yrs. Some deer have long snouts like people have big noses.

It's one of the measurements that you need to take (in mm) when you report a harvest in Illinois.
    Rytera Bullet-X (Nitrous-X).
    Goldtip Xt Hunter/NAP Spitfire, G5 Striker.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
    .....I don't want to continue to argue over AR.....

Doesn't sound very consisten as some deer have different genetics

Quote Originally Posted by Pittstate23 View Post
    Doesn't sound very consisten as some deer have different genetics
    I've always kinda found this hard to believe. I understand that some deer will have different markings, but I can't imagine deer having different length noses, or one being "taller" than another...IF they're the same age.

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    It's one of the measurements that you need to take (in mm) when you report a harvest in Illinois.
    Oh really? So every deer killed in Ill, when you check it in, that's a requirement? Interesting. Here in Va, they just ask a couple simple questions. Which county, which weapon, buck, doe, size of buck in terms of points.

no way would this work

our hill deer have short snouts

and our bottom land deer have longer and bigger balls
    I'm convinced that you can't make everyone happy.

So I'll just have to be content to confuse, annoy, and offend all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hood View Post
    no way would this work

our hill deer have short snouts

and our bottom land deer have longer and bigger balls
    Pics?
    #1 Rage fanboy & poacher extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by bsites9 View Post
    I've always kinda found this hard to believe. I understand that some deer will have different markings, but I can't imagine deer having different length noses, or one being "taller" than another...IF they're the same age.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1426496

Oh really? So every deer killed in Ill, when you check it in, that's a requirement? Interesting. Here in Va, they just ask a couple simple questions. Which county, which weapon, buck, doe, size of buck in terms of points.
    Yep. And for bucks you need to also measure the base of the largest antler, between the burr and the G1.

I do recall that every 1.5 year old buck that I have checked was in fact 110 mm from the nostril to the eye, and every mature buck that I have checked was much longer.
    The last one was 150 mm.

I doubt that it was 7.5 years old, but I am almost certain that it was over 4.5.

I really don't believe that there is ANY truly accurate aging method once a deer is over 2.5 years old.

A few years back, I was told about aging deer, by measuring from the bottom corner of the eye, to the tip of the snout. If I remember correctly, 4.5 inches was 1 1/2 years old, and add a year of age for every 1/4 inch. (I THINK those were the numbers).

Later that season, I killed a buck that we thought was 4.5 yrs old, and did the measurement, and it was right on.

Coincidence? Or is this a half decent way to do it?
    Not true. Deer vary quite a bit. The 4.5" isn't anywhere close. Eye to nose is an important taxidermy measurement, and they mostly range from 6.5 to 8". An 8"er would be 15 in your system. We all know our bucks don't last that long. Deer might have longer snouts as they age, but more than likely it's not predictable.
    '12 Elite Answer 60#

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksliver View Post
    Not true. Deer vary quite a bit. The 4.5" isn't anywhere close. Eye to nose is an important taxidermy measurement, and they mostly range from 6.5 to 8". An 8"er would be 15 in your system. We all know our bucks don't last that long. Deer might have longer snouts as they age, but more than likely it's not predictable.
    I think that it's important that we also measure from the same places.

This link shows where it is measured for Il deer check. http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/...nformation.pdf

Everyone knows that the # of points on the antlers is the deer's age. Also the grayer the face the older it is...

Quote Originally Posted by SamPotter View Post
    Everyone knows that the # of points on the antlers is the deer's age. Also the grayer the face the older it is...
    You got it!

Here's an interesting video.

Kind of like all people of the same age are the same height, have the same facial structure, etc, right .

It would take a lot of data to convince me this was even a semi-accurate way of aging. There is most likely a large amount of phenotypic plasticity in something like "nose length".

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksliver View Post
    well, thats kinda why i said I wasn't 100% sure of the numbers themselves. It might have been different...but with the same premise.

Quote Originally Posted by affe22 View Post
    Kind of like all people of the same age are the same height, have the same facial structure, etc, right .

It would take a lot of data to convince me this was even a semi-accurate way of aging. There is most likely a large amount of phenotypic plasticity in something like "nose length".
    well this arguement wouldn't convince me of a single thing. I know adult men who are 5'3'' and 125lbs., and I also know adult men who are 6'6'' and 350lbs. Have you seen a mature buck that weighed 80lbs.? Or a 1.5 year old weigh 250lb? No. Because for the most part, mature deer have the same bodies, so do the immature ones. I know people who have blue eyes, brown eyes, green eyes, blond hair, black hair, red hair....but for the most part, deer all look the same.

Comparing a deer to a human doesn't work. I've never seen a fawn, or yearling with a really long snout. And I've also never seen a fully mature buck with a short, immature looking face.

I have a 2.5yo and a 4.5yo european mounted next to each other. The 2.5yo has a longer snout and the 4.5yo is broader and deeper. I'm guessing that snout measurements are about as accurate in determining age as antler measurements.
    Liberalism: Saving America from the evils of hard work, personal accountability, and productivity, one brainwashed college student at a time.

BIG BENDY STICK WITH WHEELS ON THE ENDS ~ SMALL POINTY STICKS TO SHOOT AT TASTY ANIMALS ~ SHIRT WITH PICTURES OF TREES ON IT

Quote Originally Posted by blademaker22 View Post
    I have a 2.5yo and a 4.5yo european mounted next to each other. The 2.5yo has a longer snout and the 4.5yo is broader and deeper. I'm guessing that snout measurements are about as accurate in determining age as antler measurements.
    Whats your proof of age?

Pics? post em up.
    #1 Rage fanboy & poacher extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by crankn101 View Post
    Whats your proof of age?

Pics? post em up.
    good point.

DSCF1001.jpgDSCF1002.jpgDSCF1003.jpgDSCF1004.jpgDSCF1006.jpg

No proof. Just guesstimating based on their teeth and body sizes. Even if I'm wrong on the ages, the one with the longer snout is definitely younger.

The pics of the teeth show the estimated 4.5yo on top, the estimated 2.5yo in the middle, and a yearling buck on the bottom. It may be hard to see in the pictures, but the teeth on the 2.5yo and the yearling are almost identical (except that the 2.5yo has replaced his milk teeth with adult premolars). The older buck has significantly greater tooth wear. The 2.5yo is a pretty decent buck for the area, and I assumed he was older based on his antler size. Unless he only ate jello and applesauce, his teeth say he is a young buck though.

Measuring from the tear duct to the tip of the nose bone on the same side, the older buck measures 6.7" and the younger buck measures 7.1"
    Liberalism: Saving America from the evils of hard work, personal accountability, and productivity, one brainwashed college student at a time.

BIG BENDY STICK WITH WHEELS ON THE ENDS ~ SMALL POINTY STICKS TO SHOOT AT TASTY ANIMALS ~ SHIRT WITH PICTURES OF TREES ON IT

Teeth is the best way to determine. Still a little bit of guesswork.

Problem I've had.. Is that a lot of bucks won't hold still long enough to measure antlers or check of tooth wear..

Quote Originally Posted by blademaker22 View Post
    DSCF1001.jpgDSCF1002.jpgDSCF1003.jpgDSCF1004.jpgDSCF1006.jpg

No proof. Just guesstimating based on their teeth and body sizes. Even if I'm wrong on the ages, the one with the longer snout is definitely younger.

The pics of the teeth show the estimated 4.5yo on top, the estimated 2.5yo in the middle, and a yearling buck on the bottom. It may be hard to see in the pictures, but the teeth on the 2.5yo and the yearling are almost identical (except that the 2.5yo has replaced his milk teeth with adult premolars). The older buck has significantly greater tooth wear. The 2.5yo is a pretty decent buck for the area, and I assumed he was older based on his antler size. Unless he only ate jello and applesauce, his teeth say he is a young buck though.

Measuring from the tear duct to the tip of the nose bone on the same side, the older buck measures 6.7" and the younger buck measures 7.1"
    so which one is which? which one is the old one, the white one, or the yellowish one?

and, i'm assuming both deer were killed in the same area?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast