Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mathews Chill Review

Mathews Chill Review

www.ikesoutdoors.com Bow and Product Reviews, How-to videos and more
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ikesoutdoors

Good overview, thanks. It's interesting that different shooters can see things so differently. One of the reasons I ordered the chill was that I really liked the smooth draw cycle. I would say that was a positive of the bow.
    The One Bow: Black Carbon Matrix with camo limbs
    Axcel and sure-loc sights
    Gold Tips Arrows
    Carter releases

kind of wondering why they didn't put a wood grip on these bows...

Quote Originally Posted by Boludo View Post
    Good overview, thanks. It's interesting that different shooters can see things so differently. One of the reasons I ordered the chill was that I really liked the smooth draw cycle. I would say that was a positive of the bow.
    So true. I shot the Chill as well and one of the most striking features I found with the bow was the smooth draw cycle

x3.

Quote Originally Posted by Boludo View Post
    I agree, the Chill drew absolutely effortlessly for me at 70 lbs 28" draw. It was wicked smooth.

Did you see how dead that bow was after shot?!! I found the same thing. You could barely tell you shot an arrow. I did not find the draw to be much more difficult than my Switchback. I agree the finish of the bow is outstanding.

I really like the bow overall. I shot it after shooting several other Mathews like the Creed and the ZXT and I felt the draw was stiff in comparison. Like I said I knew I was drawing a speed bow. I will say the draw is much better than the Monster 7 I shot last year.

great informative video! helps out the first time bow buyer like myself!

I really liked the chill. The draw is the smoothest ive drawn in that IBO range for sure.
    MATHEWS CHILLR Lost
    HOYT FAKTOR 34 Max 1 (for sale in classifieds)

we just got one in the shop as well and i liked it a lot. smooth, fast and i thought pretty vibe free!!! I don't know if it nice enough to replace my Darton yet but it gives me something to nag the wife about...
    Hoyt pro edge elite
    Darton DS 3714

Practice with a purpose, and watch you X count grow.

I've shot a monster 6, 6.7, 7 and mr8 and none shot smoother for me than the chill.
    Romans 5:12

Chill is by far the smoothest two cam bow I have drawn that has speed in the 330 range. It's also dead quiet and shock free.
    Mathews Monster CHILL

Might be hard to pull back for the guy doing review because he's not strong enough to pull 70lbs. I know bowhunters that struggle to draw back 70lbs, but they don't lower the weight because it's a man thing!!!!!!

Now we need a 6" BH Chill........maybe we will get it at the ATA show??

Quote Originally Posted by TheKingofKings View Post
    Chill is by far the smoothest two cam bow I have drawn that has speed in the 330 range. It's also dead quiet and shock free.
    Man that makes it sound sweet.

I think Mathews doesn't go to ATA. They have there own show.

Thanks for that video Ike, love the stuff you put up, great going.

Could you do a quick comparison between the Ballistic (noticed you put that up yesterday) and the Chill?
    The few extra's on the Chill (mainly the grip) got me pretty much sold, but the price increase is so damned steep!

Personally can't stand the empty hole in the Ballistic, that sucker just begs for a dampener.

when the draw length is an inch long and you can not handle the weight the draw cycle is never good!!

Why am I getting so much criticism about this bow? The draw cycle in comparison to the other Mathews I shot was a little rough. I didn't say it was bad I simply said you know you were drawing a speed bow. I Have shot several other bows with a similar cam system and it feels very similar. And I do not have a hard time with 70lbs. The cam on this bow was a 28. My draw length is 27.5 so a half in should not be to long to get a feel for the bow. If the draw length is an inch to long for me than Mathews draw lengths must run long.

Quote Originally Posted by ike_osu View Post
    Why am I getting so much criticism about this bow? The draw cycle in comparison to the other Mathews I shot was a little rough. I didn't say it was bad I simply said you know you were drawing a speed bow. I Have shot several other bows with a similar cam system and it feels very similar. And I do not have a hard time with 70lbs. The cam on this bow was a 28. My draw length is 27.5 so a half in should not be to long to get a feel for the bow. If the draw length is an inch to long for me than Mathews draw lengths must run long.
    Don't mind the criticism Ike. It seems people in video's doing reviews can't be honest about handshock / drawcycles, and I'm SO THANKFULL that you were in that video. Man, I saw a vid on the PSE Drive, a $300 bow, that jumped all over the place upon shot and shoot the guys arm for a full second and he was telling that it had no shock and was dead in the hand. I call BS. So it draws heavy and it was a tad long for you. You should just tell what you feel and think, you did just that. Great work.

You can see when people struggle a little or a lot, if you know what you are looking at anyway. Some people seem to care too much about watchers thinking they are not as bad-ass as they want to be, because they couldn't handle a 85# bow. I say, shooting a grizzly with a 40# bow from 15 feet away and punching it in the skull before it hits the ground, that is being a bad-ass. I don't care if you can shoot a 120# bow into styrofoam with 500fps, nobody does.

Sorry for that rant, I just think you the man for being honest. Oh and I'm just referring to the negatives here (minor ones anyway), but in general.

Quote Originally Posted by ike_osu View Post
    Because most on AT refuse to admit that speed bows actually draw like, well, speed bows.

Mathews draw lengths have traditionally run long. Ease of draw is certainly a subjective matter. Some of us are stronger up front than all the way back to full draw. Others like me have a bad elbow and cannot handle stiffness up front.

I honestly do not think that Ike pulls most 70 lb bows well. It always appears to be a struggle to me. But it would certainly depend on the draw cycle.
    but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the Spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ dwells within you.....Romans 8

If the draw said 28 and your 27.5 then the mod. is running long from what I see, you grunted every time you drew so it seemed you were struggling with it. Not slamming you in any way just what I saw.

333 is hardly a speed bow these days, heck my 08.5 gt500 shoots around those numbers and is definitely not harsh on the draw.

Mathews Chill Review

Ya know, even if Ike does struggle...which I have never for a second thought he does..he is giving people an honest to goodness review of what to expect when the bow is almost at peak efficiency. What I mean is, what good would it do for him to do a review of a bow at 40-50#'s and say it's a butter draw...of course it is.

Ike is a hunter, he knows most hunters want the max, and at that max...how does it perform in terms of speed, hand shock, sound output, ease of draw (or lack thereof), shootability. These are important factors for die hard hunters.

He does a darn fine job IMHO of giving real world reviews. What good would it do for him to do everything 70#'s 30" 350 grains...nothing other than show how close to IBO the bow hits. He wants to show real world application. Not many shooters are 30", and not many shooters shoot 5 GPP... He's reviewing from a neutral hunters perspective.

Rant over.

Rock on IKE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast