Thread: hunting in VA

hunting in VA

What is the whitetail hunting scene in va. I might be relocating down there for work. Currently I'm in NY. Also any decent state land or should i really focus on private clubs?
    2013 Elite Hunter 30in draw 72#, HHA OL5500, QAD Ultra HDx, Victory Vap V1 .300
    Helix Broadheads

Depends on which part of the state you're talking about. Which area??

Herndon would be the location of the job. Not sure where i might actually live. So Herndon and surrounding area.
    Helix Broadheads

I hunt Chesapeake, Va beach. Public land (Dismal, Cavalier WMA, and Wakefield WMA ). Pretty good deer hunting around here, I will say quite a few hunt clubs around seems like allot of the private lands already leased.

Doc
    - Givin out Dirt naps -

Me: 12' Bear Encounter 28" Draw 60# shooting CX Piledrivers w/ SLICK TRICK 100's
    The Wife: 12' Bear Encounter 27" Draw 50# shooting CX Mayhem Hot Pursuit w/ G5 Montec

There's a good amount of public land to hunt here in VA but I believe private land is really the best bet.

A private club East of the Blue Ridge means dog hunting clubs. If you do happen to find a piece of private land to hunt you are stilling going to have to contend with dogs ruining your hunt once the general firearms season opens. The majority of dog hunting clubs have no regard for property boundries or private property.

The George Washington National Forest comprises most of western side, so there is plenty of public land to hunt.

Overall, VA has numerous public hunting opportunities throughout the WMA http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/ . Also, a lot of military bases have some type hunting program.

Ahh dog hunting...not something I've ever had too contend with in NY.
    Sundays are no hunt days in va also right?
    Helix Broadheads

Quote Originally Posted by jessejamesNY View Post
    Ahh dog hunting...not something I've ever had too contend with in NY.
    Sundays are no hunt days in va also right?
    No hunting on Sunday.

Some nice bucks to be had if you can find them.
    All for HIS glory! / Hunt hard or go home!
    09 Elite GT 500 Ninja / 08.5 GT 500 G1 camo
    T.R.U. Ball Shooting Staff / Vapor Trail Shooting Staff
    Steves Archery / Twin Oaks Archery

Was just reading up on hunting regulations. And i thought NY was complicated lol
    Helix Broadheads

Assuming you'll live near work, you should look into urban archery. They allow it in Fairfax, Prince William and I believe parts of Loudoun county. It's amazing the amount and quality of deer you can see in a little 5 acre back yard.

If you prefer being out in the wilderness than GWNF is your best bet. I occasionally hunt a small piece of private property near there. The deer numbers aren't great, but the amount of other wildlife you see is entertaining. Bear, turkey, fox, coyote, occasional gamebirds, bobcats and more bears. The country up there is beautifu too. C.F. Phelps WMA is pretty close too, but that place can be a bit of a zoo on saturdays.

You might be able to find large pieces of private land out in Loudoun, but most of the 'farms' there are equestrian centers. Permission is reportedly hard to come by if you don't already know the owners.

You're also very unlikely to run into dog hunters this far north. I've never seen or met anyone that runs them up here. I believe that's a bigger deal down south in the peidmont area.