a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow Press: EZ Green vs Bow-Time Machine

Bow Press: EZ Green vs Bow-Time Machine

Over $100 difference in price between the two. Can anyone compare? First, let me say that I don't really need the Bow-Time's draw board feature as I have a draw board built into my shop wall and I think it's easier to un-press the bow, take 3 steps and put it in the draw system, than it would be to reconfigure the BT from press to draw. Correct me if you think I'm wrong. Secondly, I want as little adjustment between bows as possible- I have a hydraulic press right now that works just fine but is a pain to setup for different bows.

I originally thought that the B-T's finger's were in-line with the frame, but it looks like they're perpendicular to it, just like the EZ Green's. I don't know whether I'd like the vertical feature or not- it seems more convenient to have both cams at the same height rather than having to stoop to get to one and stretch to get to the other like it seems like I'd do on the B-T.

Right now I'm leaning toward the EZ Green but if you can show me why the Bow-Time is better, then I'm listening.

2009 Hoyt Alpha Max 32 @ 27", 62 lb.- Hunting
    2011 Hoyt Alpha Elite @27", 57 lb. - NFAA
    2011 Hoyt Contender @ 27", 52 lbs- Indoor Spots
    2012 Hoyt Vector Turbo @27", 57 lbs- 3D
    Staff Shooter- 60X strings- http://www.60xcustomstrings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NM_HighPlains View Post
    Over $100 difference in price between the two. Can anyone compare? First, let me say that I don't really need the Bow-Time's draw board feature as I have a draw board built into my shop wall and I think it's easier to un-press the bow, take 3 steps and put it in the draw system, than it would be to reconfigure the BT from press to draw. Correct me if you think I'm wrong. Secondly, I want as little adjustment between bows as possible- I have a hydraulic press right now that works just fine but is a pain to setup for different bows.

I originally thought that the B-T's finger's were in-line with the frame, but it looks like they're perpendicular to it, just like the EZ Green's. I don't know whether I'd like the vertical feature or not- it seems more convenient to have both cams at the same height rather than having to stoop to get to one and stretch to get to the other like it seems like I'd do on the B-T.

Right now I'm leaning toward the EZ Green but if you can show me why the Bow-Time is better, then I'm listening.
    If you own a shop, I'd use approved presses. Just me.
    My Bows-'14 Hoyt Pro Comp Elite XL/Two '09 Hoyt Ultra Elite/'10 Athens eXceed 300
    Wife - '06 Hoyt UltraTec/'09 UltraElite
    Son - '09 Hoyt UltraElite GTX/'13 Hoyt ProComp Elite GTX/'14 Hoyt ProComp Elite GTX
    USA Archery National Judge/ Level 4 NTS Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Beastmaster View Post
    If you own a shop, I'd use approved presses. Just me.
    No shop. Just me and my 3 bows, my wife, my son.

Has anyone pressed a Diamond Atomic (24" ATA) with either of these presses?

Bow time machine is amazing, takes up less space makes it easier to work on the bow. And Jim is a great guy to work with
    2015 Prime Rival (ninja) 29.5/60
    Prime Cams for sale/ swap
    PM me for questions

If I recall, you can back an Atomic out enough to not need a press.
    My Bows-'14 Hoyt Pro Comp Elite XL/Two '09 Hoyt Ultra Elite/'10 Athens eXceed 300
    Wife - '06 Hoyt UltraTec/'09 UltraElite
    Son - '09 Hoyt UltraElite GTX/'13 Hoyt ProComp Elite GTX/'14 Hoyt ProComp Elite GTX
    USA Archery National Judge/ Level 4 NTS Coach

I have the EZ Green and works great for me. Nice and simple. I have a Bowtech and it presses this well..
    Last edited by Kiwi Bowhunter; December 5th, 2012 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Beastmaster View Post
    If I recall, you can back an Atomic out enough to not need a press.
    You might be right on that, but I don't know if I want to back out the bolts, turn the string, turn the bolts back down, repeat, when I could just toss it on the press. But, I'll check on that and see. If neither press works with it, it might not be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by quickcat18 View Post
    Bow time machine is amazing, takes up less space makes it easier to work on the bow. And Jim is a great guy to work with

Why is it amazing? Specifically, why is it $115 more amazing than the EZ Green? The look like pretty much exactly the same thing except that one's vertical and can do timing and the other's horizontal. Both adjust with a little crank, both work with fingers. What's radically different? I want some specifics.

Space isn't a problem- I have a whole barn. I think the BT might be _harder_ to work on since I'll be reaching for the top cam or stooping for the bottom one (and no, I don't want to adjust a tripod up and down...). I know for a fact that I'm about to turn my draw board into one that holds the bow horizontal instead of vertical 'cause I hate stooping for the bottom cam and stretching for the top.

I have no problem getting at either cam while standing or sitting (my chair is a taller one). You can check the thread I made on mine. The bow time machine is also a draw board and can be used a a vise. Most of the time you are pressing a bow do you work on the cams or are you working on the strings in the middle of the bow? The time machine puts the middle right in front of you and allows you to face the bow and work with both hands on either side of the cams without having to reach over the bow and try to see the other side, plus it has more clearance so you can get around the cams even put a sight on the bow while it is in the press. I put mine on a cart so I can get at my bow from almost any direction. It is simple and works great IMO
    2015 Prime Rival (ninja) 29.5/60
    Prime Cams for sale/ swap
    PM me for questions

Sounds like you have your mind already made up on which press you want ...
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30 , LimbDriver ProV , Viper H1000 , Trophy Ridge Arrows , Muzzy 3 Blade
    Hoyt AM 32 , Drop Zone , Viper H1000 , Trophy Ridge Arrows , Muzzy 3 Blade
    Hoyt Havoc -Tec , Drop Zone , Extreme RT900 , V.A.P. 1 Arrows , Muzzy 3 Blade
    U.S. Army 1981 - 1989

Quote Originally Posted by Dthbyhoyt View Post
    Sounds like you have your mind already made up on which press you want ...
    It sure does... no sense asking for opinions when you've closed your mind to options.

Get what you want... which I'm assuming is the EZ Green... after looking at all of the advertisement I'd get the Bow Time Machine if I had the cash on hand.
    TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow >>>-------->

Quote Originally Posted by NM_HighPlains View Post
    Why is it amazing? Specifically, why is it $115 more amazing than the EZ Green? The look like pretty much exactly the same thing except that one's vertical and can do timing and the other's horizontal. Both adjust with a little crank, both work with fingers. What's radically different? I want some specifics.

Space isn't a problem- I have a whole barn. I think the BT might be _harder_ to work on since I'll be reaching for the top cam or stooping for the bottom one (and no, I don't want to adjust a tripod up and down...). I know for a fact that I'm about to turn my draw board into one that holds the bow horizontal instead of vertical 'cause I hate stooping for the bottom cam and stretching for the top.
    looks are deceiving.The easy green press is just that a bow press. The bow Time Machine is a bow press,a crossbow press,a bow vice, and a bow time machine all-in-one package. You are comparing last chance archery's cheapest bow press to the BTM and you should be comparing it to one of their most expensive ones plus several add-on options to do the same thing the BTM does. One last thing by the time you pay for shipping and a couple of draw stop fingers that easy green press is going to cost you a lot more than $400. I think the BTM is $525 which includes free shipping 4 regular fingers and 2 draw stops fingers plus your choice of mounts.
    Owner Prairie archery
    Grangeville, Idaho

The Bow Time Machine is quick, simple and quick...I have an earlier model and the improvements made seem to have made it more of a complete press. Mounting vertically on a standard bench height, no problems reaching all areas, even on a long ATA bow, Pearson Advantage was the longest I've worked on.
    American Eagle Bows Custom by Joe Ciampa
    PSE DNA SP, PSE VENDETTA XL
    DARTON SL-3000 '79
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 34, Hoyt Faktor 30, Hoyt Buffalo
    Bear T/D and Gordon Knight '57

The time machine puts the middle right in front of you and allows you to face the bow and work with both hands on either side of the cams..... I put mine on a cart so I can get at my bow from almost any direction.
    That's a good point about being to work on both sides of the cam and when it's laying horizontal, you're right.... there's always something I want to see or check on the other side, even if it's just making sure the string/cable hasn't fallen off the post.

Most of the time, it seems like I'm working on the cams, not the middle of the bow. 90% of the time I'm twisting or untwisting stuff and that happens at the cams.

I saw the cart you made and thought that looked pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by grapplemonkey View Post
    It sure does... no sense asking for opinions when you've closed your mind to options.

Get what you want... which I'm assuming is the EZ Green... after looking at all of the advertisement I'd get the Bow Time Machine if I had the cash on hand.
    I haven't even gotten CLOSE to making up my mind yet. I have some questions about the presses that "amazing, wonderful, and simple" don't really answer. Actually, the BT is my first choice, and I'm leaning that way right now, but I just want to make sure that it does what I THINK it does. Advertisements only show you the stuff they want you to see- I want to know the good, the bad, and the ugly from people who use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Themiddleman View Post
    The bow Time Machine is a bow press,a crossbow press,a bow vice, and a bow time machine all-in-one package.
    One last thing by the time you pay for shipping and a couple of draw stop fingers that easy green press is going to cost you a lot more than $400.

I don't do crossbows and never will. Vice, though, that's a good point.... does it hold it firmly enough that the bow's not twisting and turning while you're trying to do something?

I'm showing $430 shipped on several Ebay sites and Last Chance says there are 2 bows that require adapters, but yeah... we're down to $85 difference now.

Do you know otherwise on the need to change fingers (on either press)? That's going to defeat the purpose of either press if I have to change fingers when switching between my bow, my wife's bow, my son's bow, etc. I would LIKE to be able to just press a bow with a minimum of changing, swapping, adjusting, etc. That's my biggest complaint with my current Omni- moving from my Maxxis 35 to my son's Diamond Atomic requires me to practically disassemble and reassemble the press. Once the Omni is set for a bow, it does a good enough job to justify the low cost, so before I invest 5x the amount of $$$ in a new press, I just wanna make sure the new one does what I'm expecting it to do.

When I watched the videos of both, they didn't change fingers, but, of course, they never show you the quirks of the press and I guess that's what I really want to know- do either of these presses have any quirks or downsides? Things you DON'T like?

TTT

I'm interested in the differences of these to presses also.

Love my EZ green and like the horizontal for adjusting strings/cables/yokes etc. which is probably the primary thing I use a press for. I think the vertical would annoy me for those purposes.
    "Every man dies, not every man really lives."
    Xpedition * Obsession * CBE/Spot Hogg * Stan Shootoff * Hamskea Versa Rest * B-Stinger * Swarovski Binoculars * Double Bull Archery Blinds * Stormy Hardwoods * John's Custom Archery (aka "Breathn")

...and if you think the EZ Green takes up too much space you must be working on your bows in a bathroom.
    "Every man dies, not every man really lives."
    Xpedition * Obsession * CBE/Spot Hogg * Stan Shootoff * Hamskea Versa Rest * B-Stinger * Swarovski Binoculars * Double Bull Archery Blinds * Stormy Hardwoods * John's Custom Archery (aka "Breathn")

My EZ green has done EVERYTHING I needed it to. Early-mid 90's bows to High end modern day compounds and the occasional crossbow when buddies are in a pinch. I also built a draw board for >30$. The only advantage i saw the Bow Time Machine had was the ability to utilize it as a vice and set up bows faster and more accurate. Not worth the extra $$$$$$$$$$ IMHO
    Elite Answer
    MBG Ascent/Vengeance Head
    Pro V
    ACC Pro Hunters
    Scott Releases

Fairly new user of a BTM. Compared to an EZ press at the shop I used to frequent here are my opinions only:
    Both are very easy to adjust. BTM I think is quicker because all adjustments can be made from same allen wrench and really with one hand. But if you work on multiple bows both require adjusting and is a no brainer on either model.

BTM advantages:
    space
    DB included and a very nice one at that - Can go from pressing to DB use in about 15 seconds (which includes moving fingers, attaching safety rope and beginning to crank)
    Wall, bench, tripod stand options
    Setting sight and rest, much easier to do with the bow held in the machine vertically. I don't use my vice anymore other than if I need to make finger adjustments to hold that particular bow.

Dis-advantages:
    If used in basement, might need taller ceiling for using DB or make new connector rod
    Does not have easy way to use a measuring stick for actual dl measurements
    I don't have my Elite anymore but had to have unique fingers at one time for Elite Cams (not sure about the very latest model Oct 2012)
    If have multiple bows with limb-stops on different opposite limbs, requires swapping fingers (about 2 min)

EZ Press:

Advantages:
    Easier to work on the strings. It is just easier to re-serve a string or tie in a peep with a bow horizontal.

Dis-advantages:
    space
    no DB (if need to obtain)
    Requires limb adaptors on several types of bows
    Harder to make cam adjustments if on back side of press

All other things considered as far as pressing, they do both very well. I think both are the same if swapping strings/twisting etc. The fingers on the BTM seem to fit my bows better, they press more on end of the limb vs. the tip of the limb. It definitely holds my bow more secure, but haven't seen any other advantages and don't think it affects any limb issues between the two. I chose the BTM due to included DB and vertical space savings (have a small basement room to operate). Both are quality machines and will last forever. The shop EZ I've used has been beat up so I can't directly compare on new vs. new, but there are details on the BTM to make it look nicer aesthetically if you care - neighbor thinks so, she thinks she shoots better since I've been working on the bows at home. That's all I can think of this morning, I'll update if I think of anything else.

i have both the ez press and time machine. i use the time machine about 95% of the time when working on bows which is alot anymore. i like the vertical press for me it is so much easier to work on the bow especially setting it up i can get to the cams very easy. i also have mine mounted on a steel saw horse so it is portable. i take it with me to all the ASA events and out of town hunting just in case. the time machine is alot faster at pressing which isnt that big of a deal but it nice going from bow to bow. the ez press does a good job but i am so much happier with the time machine. it just makes work alot faster for me and i have yet to find anything i could not press with it

stormsearch and smokin12ring- that was PERFECT, both of you. Thanks!!!!!

My Bow time Machine has the tripod stand. I can take it any where and do so.

If I broke my bow at a shoot or distant hunt I could easily tear it down and restring, sync, and time my bow.

It takes up no space either.

One thing I really like on the BTM is, due to the vertical bow position, is that you can pull back on the string, ensuring all the cables are in position and then relax pressure on the limbs. Maybe you can do it on the horizontal models, not sure how well that works for relieving tension.
    American Eagle Bows Custom by Joe Ciampa
    PSE DNA SP, PSE VENDETTA XL
    DARTON SL-3000 '79
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 34, Hoyt Faktor 30, Hoyt Buffalo
    Bear T/D and Gordon Knight '57

Quote Originally Posted by Themiddleman View Post
    The bow Time Machine is a bow press,a crossbow press,....
    I'm eating my words. I still don't have any plans to press a crossbow but because the BTM will do them, it will also do my son's Diamond Atomic, according to Jim. The EZ-Green will not.

I'm going with the BTM. Not just because it'll press the Atomic but because it seems like the vertical position isn't going to be a problem and _does_ have the advantage of being able to work on both sides of the cams at the same time. I don't really need the draw board feature, but I _could_ use it if I traveled with the bow or press, so that's something to consider. I think it would be nice to work on the peep and D-loop with the bow vertical. And if I mounted it on a tripod or post or something, it could be adjusted up and down if I wanted- I wouldn't have to do it all the time, but it could be done (easily). So, all in all.... BTM it's gonna be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast