Thread: Need advice! 2013 PSE Brute-X or Sinister?

Red face Need advice! 2013 PSE Brute-X or Sinister?

Hey, all. Following a 15yr hiatus from archery (I'm 37), last summer saw me re-engaged and now totally caught back up in the sport (albeit focused season-wide on bowhunting). In any event, as you might imagine, quite a bit has changed in the world of archery... And I've even upgraded my circa '94 Golden Eagle Predator (aside: wow, is a 70lb bow w/ 55% let-off unmerciful), from 26" Easton 2312s (30" draw with an overdraw - ha) to... CARBONs. LOL

Well, now that Christmas is near, I **believe** that I've hinted enough to talk the dear wife into a special gift: a new PSE! While I have come to prefer the feel of Hoyts and PSEs, I really have taken to the Brute-X in Skullworks as an awesome "bang for the buck" budget-bow. To me, it feels great... However, for the exact same price, we can purchase the new 2013 PSE Sinister (again, in Skullworks), which is lighter (3" shorter ATA), has a slightly faster cam and has PSE's new string stop.

Question: While I haven't shot the Sinister, it looks like a neat bow -- and comparable to, if not better on paper than, the 2013 Brute-X. With PSE's RTS package, both bows are setup identically. Sooooo... If you were me, which bow would you buy, and why it over the other? First-hand experience with the different cams would be valuable. Also, general thoughts as to pros and cons of a short ATA bow that shoots ~7fps faster vs. a slightly longer ATA bow that might (?) prove more steady would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance very much for your advice.

Best,
    CD
    Powhatan, VA

I wouldn't overlook the Drive either, great bow with the smoothest cams that PSE makes on it.
    Sometimes nothing is a really cool hand.
    Semper Fidelis to all of my fellow Marines, past and present.

Authorized Dealer for PSE, G5 Prime and Strother Archery

Quote Originally Posted by mtn3531 View Post
    I wouldn't overlook the Drive either, great bow with the smoothest cams that PSE makes on it.
    Thanks! I have heard really great things about the Drive. Honestly, I prefer single cam bows (although I admit my bias is a holdover from yrs past, when keeping cams in sync was a chore)... That being said, I am highly impressed with the Prophecy; however, it's honestly out of my budget (as is the Drive). ...Which leads me, following the past year's rave reviews, to the Brute-X. And, then when I saw the Sinister for the same price, it's AMP cam intrigued me...

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to shoot the Sinister, while I know I like the Brute-X. I've shot a few extreme-ATA bows such as the Mathews Z7 Extreme, and don't mind the short ATA (I shoot from a treestand, with shots being 15yds to 50yds max); however, I hate to pull the trigger on a bow, in the case of the Sinister, without at least having heard several folks rave about it to the same extent as the market has embraced the Brute-X.

I can purchase either bow, with identical RTS accessories (PSE Aries sight, WB, mongoose quiver, wrist-sling, Flextech stabilizer, factory peep & d-loop), for $499. The primary differences come down to the cams, ATA, and, minimally, the new Backstop2 string stop on the Sinister. (I assume both bows come with the same string, which I would anticipate perhaps upgrading next summer). I would like to purchase a bow that will continue to perform for four seasons (and, ideally, I'd like for my new bow to stick around for awhile -- e.g., I loved the Hoyt Rampage XT, and was really disappointed that Hoyt discontinued an awesome budget bow). Said another way, I guess I want to make sure I am buying on the leading edge (within my budget) rather than buying on the phase-out...

Sorry to be long-winded. I tend to obsess over details, and want to avoid buyer's remorse.

Sooo... For $499, which is most likely to be the wisest choice (e.g., this time next year, which bow will be/remain a flagship among budget-bow reviews)? (My hunch is that cam technology will be a primary consideration...)
    2013 Brute-X RTS in Skullworks or 2013 Sinister RTS in Skullworks

Thanks again -- hope others will chime in!
    -CD