Archery Talk Forum banner

pse stinger 3g

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  22WVBOWHUNTER 
#1 ·
I'm recently getting back into archery and considering a pse stinger 3g, any feedback is appreciated

#3 ·
I have had a 2011 Stinger hp (the year before they released the 3g) since about sept. 2011 and it's a solid bow, most of the things that I would change about it PSE fixed when they released the 3g, the strings aren't the best but I have shot thousands of shots with them didn't NEED to order new strings until this monday (two broken strands, and constant stretching) overall it was a good purchase for a bow to learn on. I would bet you wouldn't regret buying one.

#5 ·
The Stinger 3G is an amazing bow, at any price. Don't think that just because it's the cheapest bow PSE makes, that you are giving anything up. If I were you, I wouldn't blink for a second when considering the Stinger 3G. If I were to pick on the bow at all, it would be the factory strings. I had to readjust my Dloop and peep sight a lot while the strings were settling in. It took my strings over 1000 shots to fully settle, but my peep and Dloop haven't budged in thousands of shots. If I could do it again, I should have replaced the factory strings sooner, with a custom set from 60X, to save the headache of the constant peep alignment. You can usually get a set of custom strings from 60X for right around $60-$65, and they are worth every penny. With a well made set of custom strings, you install them, shoot them 50-100 times (one shooting session worth for me), and then install your peep sight, and tune your bow. Then you can forget about your strings and peep sight, they won't budge.

P.S. If you don't mind the rubber tubing aligned peep sight, you can shoot the Stinger 3G right out of the box, with no problems. I did for a while, and had absolutely no problems. I ended up breaking the rubber tubing a couple of times, then just pulled it off, just to see how stable the peep sight would be without it. I had to keep readjusting my peep sight rotation, by separating single strands on each side of the string, and moving the single strands to the other bundle of threads. A little headache to do, but it was worth it. I love my Stinger 3G, and don't have a single regret buying it. The factory strings are extremely durable when they finally settle, and I lost my shot count at over 5,000 shots.

You won't find anyone say anything bad about the Stinger 3G, other than the factory strings. That says a lot about a bow and what to expect. Don't let the factory strings keep you from buying the bow, as you can always shoot it with the rubber tubing aligned peep sight until the strings settle, and then for $5 you can get a nice aluminum peep sight with no rubber tubing. Or do what I should have did, and put a set of custom strings on it, and forget about it. If you think about it, a string is an extremely important part of a bow, and for such a cheap price, why not have the best? I would put a $50-$65 set of 60X or Twisted Archer custom strings on a $1000 PSE or a $1300 Hoyt, and you can have that same top quality custom string on a Stinger 3G. A $299 bare bow price, plus $50-65 for a custom string if you want, and you will have a bow that you can shoot until your arms fall off.

#6 ·
Another 3g owner here, like everyone above said, you're not gonna beat it for the money. Heck they could even up the price on it, (don't tell PSE that) and I still woulda bought it. I even sighted my bottom pin in today at 80yds and got a 6-7" group. Just like Hayden said above, I can pretty much pile them on top of each other at 20 and 40yds. So its a very accurate bow once you get adjusted to it and get it sighted in, and I'd never shot a bow before three weeks ago. I love mine, every other 3g owner i read about loves theirs, not trying to pressure you into it, but you won't regret buying one. I'm thoroughly impressed with it.

#7 ·
Like the rest, I've had great luck with my 3G - put a set of custom strings on it from twisted archer, installed a new peep and have a great bow. My advice to you would be buy it bare and pick up the accessories you want for it. I've ended up replacing the stock peep, sling, sight, and stabilizer - I pretty well paid 100.00 for the whisker biscuit...

#8 ·
I'm sure someone out there possibly has a better deal, but I just went with the package Huntersfriend.com put together. I didn't price piece by piece to see what it comes out to but for the bow, peep, sight, sling, stabilizer, release, rest, 6 arrows, 6 field points, pack of broadheads, Hard case, for $535, seemed a good deal to me for a package that complete. Check them out, price the same stuff out individually, maybe I coulda saved a few bucks maybe not. I thought it was worth it though. Unless you do specifically want certain items, but I'm happy with the options they give you in their package. Only thing I want to change is the stabilizer and thats only because I want a camo one to match my bow, not because I think the included one doesn't perform well.

#9 ·
have a 3g as well and like stated great bow for the price...but yes i would recommend replacing the strings right away..the stock ones are a pain to deal with..

#10 ·
I bought a stinger 3g a few weeks ago and have been shooting the heck out of it. I love it thirty mins and the range at sportsmans and have been hitting gold every time. I joined a bow hunting league at a local range and have been shooting right with the guys that have been shooting for years. I didn't think it was two bad for really just picking up a bow when I got my 3g.

#11 ·
My first bow...

Liking it plenty. The range of adjust-ability is great, and at least at 20 yards (my normal distance, haven't really pushed that so maybe I'll have complaints later) I can't see what else I would need. I am sure if I shot the top bow from each manufacturer and came back I may have some complaints, but its been working great.

I think most people will tell you the string is crap. That is true. My peep STILL moves around constantly after daily use for a few months now. That's pretty ridiculous, The tube does an OK job of straightening it out, but at some point it will be cocked. I have a bow-master press, so I just flip the peep around 180 and attached the tube from the other side. Done that twice now. Early on it wrapped the tube all the way around the strings and cables, so I just slipped it off its nipple, unwound the tube and reattached... Its stupid but has been OK shooting wise. When I have a couple more bucks I will likely replace them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.