Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Famous Yellowstone Wolf Shot

Famous Yellowstone Wolf Shot

World’s most famous wolf’ shot and killed outside Yellowstone
    By Dylan Stableford, Yahoo! News | The Lookout

A wolf so popular that she was referred to as a rock star by rangers was shot and killed in Wyoming just outside Yellowstone National Park late last week, wildlife officials told the New York Times.

The 6-year-old gray wolf, a tourist favorite known as 832F, was the alpha female of Yellowstone's "highly visible" Lamar Canyon pack, according to the Times. She had been fitted with a GPS collar that allowed researchers to track her movements. According to the newspaper, she was the eighth wolf fitted with the collar to be shot during this year's hunting season.

Last fall, Wyoming removed wolves from its list of endangered species, allowing them to be legally hunted on the Yellowstone Park border for the first time in decades.

On Friday, the Humane Society filed a lawsuit in federal court challenging the decision by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to delist wolves in Wyoming. At least 50 wolves have been killed in the state since Oct. 1, the lawsuit claims. (According to the Times, at least 87 wolves have been shot in Montana this season, and 120 shot or trapped in Idaho.)

"The decision to strip Wyoming wolves of federal protection is biologically reckless and contrary to the requirements of the Endangered Species Act," Jonathan Lovvorn, the Humane Society's lead counsel for animal protection litigation, said in a statement announcing the lawsuit. "Wyoming's regressive wolf management plan is reminiscent of a time when bounties paid by state and federal governments triggered mass killings that nearly exterminated wolves from the lower 48 states."

Ranchers say wolf hunting is necessary to protect livestock. According to National Park Service estimates, there are more than 1,700 wolves living in the Rocky Mountain region—most in Idaho.In Yellowstone alone, according to the park's annual wolf report, there were at least 98 wolves in 10 packs—plus two loners—at the end of 2011. And none was more popular than 832F.

"She is the most famous wolf in the world," Jimmy Jones, a wildlife photographer, told the Times.

According to Daniel Stahler, director of Yellowstone's wolf program, data from 832F showed she rarely traveled outside the park. When she did, it was "only for brief periods."

Bet she will make a great mount and congrats to the hunter.

Ha. I would bet the national park would pay the hunter for the animal so they can mount it there.
    2010 Hoyt Turbohawk, Fuse strings, stabalizer and quiver, Carbon Express, QAD rest, HHA sight, Rage 2 blade

More fuel for the "anti-wolf hunting crowd" Congrats to the hunters though. I think that would be pretty cool beside all of the negative press.
    If it's brown.....and is the deer I've been chasing all season......It's down.

Some people kill because they think they have to.

Some people just kill.

Gee. My heart is broken... I say good for the hunter.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill
    Smooth Stability ProStaff, Athens Archery Field Staff
    Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen.-Conan O'Brian

Kill em all!!

What wrong with that? Legally shooting an animal you have a tag for is perfectly acceptable b/c the state biologists have determined that the population is stable enough to hunt.

There's a reason we killed them out in the first place. They are an economic liability for the country.
    “In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” –Theodore Roosevelt

2010 Monster 7.0, 72#~31"dl - 1960 Kodiak 64", 42# - 2014 RER Vortex II 64", 35#

Good, shoot them all!!!!!!!!!!!!
    MATHEWS MONSTER MR6 2011
    MATHEWS MONSTER MR7 2011

Cool story, congrats to the hunter!
    Proudly KILLING whitetail deer...trail camera free, without scent containment clothing and with the use of mechanical broad heads since 1993!!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/buckchasers?ref=hl
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    I'm going to Africa this year, and I want to kill one. Just because I can, and I get off on killing things.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman14 View Post
    Kill em all!!
    Why am I not suprised the reckless Human Society is wasting more tax payer money. I'll second the notion.. Kill 'em all...

Good for him!
    2012 Elite Answer, HHA sight, QAD rest, Tightspot quiver, Torqueless grip, Ridgerunner sling, Stokerized 8" Hunter stabilizer, custom threads by Insight Archery, ACC Pro Hunters, Scott Sabertooth release, Slick Trick Magnum broadheads.

I don't see it being all that different than having history with a buck that you eventually harvest. I'm not totally against having wolves around but not hunting them would be just foolish
    It's not over 'til it's over

If he ate it, good for him.

If not, shame on him.
    Colorado water fowlers!!!
    Need goose decoys? I have over three dozen for sale/trade! Bigfoot B2's, Dakota sleeper shells, and a host of others. PM for details...

Quote Originally Posted by DoWorkSon View Post

If not, shame on him.
    Youre joking, right?

If not, shame on him.
    I guess you're against wearing fur.
    “In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” –Theodore Roosevelt

2010 Monster 7.0, 72#~31"dl - 1960 Kodiak 64", 42# - 2014 RER Vortex II 64", 35#

Formerly the great COWBOY state of Wyoming. Now, in the frozen north of Fairbanks Alaska

If not, shame on him.
    you eating all those spiders you're smooshing and flies you're swatting. How about the mice and rats? Snakes in the garden? Shame on YOU for casting the judgemental standpoint on ANY legal hunting.

If not, shame on him.
    Whats wolf meat taste like anyway Im sure its the most majestic of all the wild meats.

as a hunter`s we need to use the word harvest inside of kill ,these bunny huggers just don`t understand wolves don`t eat flowers they kill way to many healthy game animals. anyway congrats to the hunter for killing that dam wolf .OH ! i mean harvesting that game animal, if any bunny huggie wolf lover reads this !! also bunnie people, what we really need to do is put wolves in all city parks it would be so much better for wolves to just run free and play in the parks .

she rarely traveled outside the park. When she did, it was "only for brief periods."

This last excursion being the exception.

You know what's irritating. These humane society people think it's that easy to go out and shoot one. Here mr wolf, it's dinner time (human society mind). Well I have to be honest. I hunted this year where I have seen a total of 15 wolves in years past. Did I see one this year. Nope. They are tricky buggars. Sorry for the rant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Its not a trophy if its behind a 10 ft fence, that's a pet."
    Mathews Helium, MBG Vengeance 7 pin, QAD HDX
    Scott Mongoose NCS release/Tru-Fire Releases

Around here people are shooting the Red Wolves which has led them to stop allowing yote hunting at night in the eastern counties where they where introduced..People have killed 15 of the collared ones.They are offering 5000.00 reward for info leading to the arrest.The first person they catch will be made an example out of.

Sounds like a cool wolf got killed, but thats what happens in the world of hunting.
    New Breed Eclipse
    New Breed Archery

Congrats to the hunter. Wish they had open season here in AZ on the wolves here. Wolves don't discriminate, they will kill most anything they can and sometimes just for the fun of it.
    Team PSE, PSE Militia, DS Advantage sight Team FeatherVision

Quote Originally Posted by chuckatuk View Post
    Around here people are shooting the Red Wolves which has led them to stop allowing yote hunting at night in the eastern counties where they where introduced..People have killed 15 of the collared ones.They are offering 5000.00 reward for info leading to the arrest.The first person they catch will be made an example out of.
    They use the 3 S's here when one shoots a wolf, "shoot, shovel and shutup"
    Team PSE, PSE Militia, DS Advantage sight Team FeatherVision

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast