Archery Talk Forum banner

Famous Yellowstone Wolf Shot

9K views 146 replies 84 participants last post by  James Vee 
#1 ·
World’s most famous wolf’ shot and killed outside Yellowstone
By Dylan Stableford, Yahoo! News | The Lookout

A wolf so popular that she was referred to as a rock star by rangers was shot and killed in Wyoming just outside Yellowstone National Park late last week, wildlife officials told the New York Times.

The 6-year-old gray wolf, a tourist favorite known as 832F, was the alpha female of Yellowstone's "highly visible" Lamar Canyon pack, according to the Times. She had been fitted with a GPS collar that allowed researchers to track her movements. According to the newspaper, she was the eighth wolf fitted with the collar to be shot during this year's hunting season.

Last fall, Wyoming removed wolves from its list of endangered species, allowing them to be legally hunted on the Yellowstone Park border for the first time in decades.

On Friday, the Humane Society filed a lawsuit in federal court challenging the decision by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to delist wolves in Wyoming. At least 50 wolves have been killed in the state since Oct. 1, the lawsuit claims. (According to the Times, at least 87 wolves have been shot in Montana this season, and 120 shot or trapped in Idaho.)

"The decision to strip Wyoming wolves of federal protection is biologically reckless and contrary to the requirements of the Endangered Species Act," Jonathan Lovvorn, the Humane Society's lead counsel for animal protection litigation, said in a statement announcing the lawsuit. "Wyoming's regressive wolf management plan is reminiscent of a time when bounties paid by state and federal governments triggered mass killings that nearly exterminated wolves from the lower 48 states."

Ranchers say wolf hunting is necessary to protect livestock. According to National Park Service estimates, there are more than 1,700 wolves living in the Rocky Mountain region—most in Idaho.In Yellowstone alone, according to the park's annual wolf report, there were at least 98 wolves in 10 packs—plus two loners—at the end of 2011. And none was more popular than 832F.

"She is the most famous wolf in the world," Jimmy Jones, a wildlife photographer, told the Times.

According to Daniel Stahler, director of Yellowstone's wolf program, data from 832F showed she rarely traveled outside the park. When she did, it was "only for brief periods."

See less See more
#6 ·
Gee. My heart is broken... I say good for the hunter.

#8 ·
What wrong with that? Legally shooting an animal you have a tag for is perfectly acceptable b/c the state biologists have determined that the population is stable enough to hunt.

There's a reason we killed them out in the first place. They are an economic liability for the country.

#19 ·
as a hunter`s we need to use the word harvest inside of kill ,these bunny huggers just don`t understand wolves don`t eat flowers they kill way to many healthy game animals. anyway congrats to the hunter for killing that dam wolf .OH ! i mean harvesting that game animal, if any bunny huggie wolf lover reads this !! also bunnie people, what we really need to do is put wolves in all city parks it would be so much better for wolves to just run free and play in the parks .

#21 ·
You know what's irritating. These humane society people think it's that easy to go out and shoot one. Here mr wolf, it's dinner time (human society mind). Well I have to be honest. I hunted this year where I have seen a total of 15 wolves in years past. Did I see one this year. Nope. They are tricky buggars. Sorry for the rant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 ·
Around here people are shooting the Red Wolves which has led them to stop allowing yote hunting at night in the eastern counties where they where introduced..People have killed 15 of the collared ones.They are offering 5000.00 reward for info leading to the arrest.The first person they catch will be made an example out of.

#29 ·
Im not sure where i sit on this one. On one hand if the populations where not controlled by people they would get out of control and start killing all other game but on the other hand this story is bad press for hunting. ???

#30 ·
I am not saddened a bit by this report, as the state apparently saw a need to lower the population of wolves and one that a lot of folks saw on vacation was killed in the process. If a wild wolf can become a "rock star", that says a great deal about the way humans preceive animals in the wild and their Disney conception of the food chain. An acquaintance from MT told me in 2009 that the wild wolf population in his area was decimating the elk herd and I have no doubt that he was being factual or honest. Sportsmen invest much into the process of game management and the reintroduction of wild wolf packs have proven to put a serious challenge to the free ranging elk and mule deer numbers where they are flourishing. The results are wolf seasons where the predators are likewise hunted for being too prosperous in their breeding. Sniff, sniff..............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.