a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bow Review: Obsession Knightmare

2013 Bow Review: Obsession Knightmare

Ok, so I got home this evening to find a new 2013 Obsession Knightmare waiting for me. So, I slapped a whisker biscuit on it (just because it was handy and quick to install), tied a d-loop, and did some checking and shooting. Here is what I found/think about the bow. Finish- The bow is predator camo, and looks great. The finish on this bow is flawless! Although I'm not a finish guru or chemist, I can't find a blemish anywhere. It looks fantastic.

Knightmare Pic.jpg

Specs- This bow is a 55-65 lbs model, and it maxed out at 68 lbs. I measured the ata length at 33-1/2" on the nose, and the brace height came in at 6-1/4". It has a 28-1/2" module on the bow and actually measures 28-3/4". Feel- I like a bow that balances well, and this bow does just that. The bow just sits in your hand, like last years models. Possibly the biggest improvement on this bow vs last years models, is the grip. The grip on this bow was made for me! They did a great job of listening to the feedback about the grip on last years bow and as far as I'm concerned, they hit the nail on the head this year. I'll get into the draw cycle shortly.

Tuning/Speed- Ok, here's the good stuff. Right out of the box the cams were perfectly synched, so after installing the rest and d-loop I went straight to shooting. The draw cycle is very good on the bow, especially for the speeds that it is putting out. I will say that it felt like it ramped up quickly, and later when I did a DFC it showed this. Overall though, I thought the draw cylce was very nice, and as with most binary cam bows this one has a very nice valley and high letoff %.

On the shot it is just dead. If you shot last years bows, this one is more of the same. Extremely quiet, and absolutely dead on the shot. I initially set the biscuit at around 7/8" from the riser, and set the nock point at 1/8" high. I grabbed a couple of Carbon Express Mach 5 350's and got the paper rack out. I shot a couple of arrows and it showed a slight left tear, which is exactly what I was hoping for. I bumped the rest in towards the riser to right around 13/16" (25/32" to be exact haha) and shot a perfect bullet hole! I backed up and shot another perfect bullet hole! As most of us know, last years bows required shimming to get the bows to tune closer to center, but this year they seem to be right on the money with a properly spined arrow. Another improvement by OA.

Knightmare Bullet Hole.jpg

So, I got the chronograph and the light kit out for some speed testing. As said earlier, the draw length is measuring 1/4" long so it is at 28-3/4", and it is pulling 68 lbs. I shot 3 different arrow weights, and here are the numbers.
    Arrow 1- 442 grains- 293.3, 293.7, 294

Arrow 2- 381 grains- 312.7, 313.6, 313.6

Arrow 3- 345 grains- 327.8, 327.4, 328.4

Knightmare Chrono Reading.jpg At 28.75" dl, and 68 lbs, with only 6 grains on the string, On Target 2 IBO's this bow at 349 fps! OT2 though seems a little fast, so I ran the numbers on Backcountry IBO calculator as well, and it IBO's the bow at 345 fps. Any way you slice it, the bow is fast. And remember, these numbers are RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX.

My Easton Bow Force Mapper is out of commision at the moment, but I did a little DFC the old fashioned way with a vertical draw board on my Bow-A-Constrictor, a hanging scale, and a piece of graph paper. I marked the poundage at every 1" interval which I know isn't as accurate as the mapper, but still works. You'll notice that the bow builds fairly quickly and hits peak weight between 5"-6" into the draw cycle. But here is where I think you could eek a little bit more speed out of it. It only holds peak weight for about 3" at the front of the draw cycle, and then slowly drops about 3 lbs and sort of plateau's again for about 3" before dropping off into the valley. When I get some time I'll see about trying to get this thing to hold peak weight longer and flatten out the DFC.

I believe that Obsession Archery has definitely listened to it's customers and made improvements in every area that there were complaints. I forgot to mention the fact that I ordered this bow on Thursday December 6th, and recieved it today December 11th. Grip, speed, tuning, shipping times, etc seem to have all been improved. Go try the new Obsession Bows.

For some reason it won't let me upload the pic of the DFC. I'll try again later.

Excellent review, thank you for taking the time to write up such a detailed review. Sounds like a very solid offering from OA this year.
    Drape's Archery...The Best Archery Shop In Western NY!

I wish is would reach 31" draw I'd have one most likely
    2012 CPXL SH camo 52lbs 436 grain arrow 279fps.
    2013 Hoyt spyder LD
    2014 BT RPM 51.7lbs for wife 378 grain 271fps & 2012 Elite answer 52.5lbs wifes
    2015 bowtech Boss on order
    2015 Hoyt nitrum on order

Thanks for the great write up.

Any chance of getting some video of it in action?

Sounds like a winner! I so badly want to shoot one of these, I just need to get over the binary cams (I just figured out yolk tuning and got it down,,,lol).

Nice review thanks for sharing.
    A Redneck lost in a yuppie town

Thats not too bad good numbers pretty impressed looks great too
    "A country boy is all I'll ever be" Aron Lewis
    Stevens archery inception
    Black Eagle Archery Field Staff

Quote Originally Posted by ozzz View Post
    Thanks for the great write up.

Any chance of getting some video of it in action?
    I'm not sure. I'd have to find some time, and even then you probably wouldn't be able to understand me! I am from WV!! I'd just let the bow do the talking. Lol

Are they goin to make a longer ATA and BH Kinghtmare?

Quote Originally Posted by WVaBuckHunter View Post
    I'm not sure. I'd have to find some time, and even then you probably wouldn't be able to understand me! I am from WV!! I'd just let the bow do the talking. Lol
    Thatd be just fine!

Quote Originally Posted by bcycle View Post

Not

Re: 2013 Bow Review: Obsession Knightmare

Best KM review i have seen yet. Love the fact you mapped a dfc, cant wait to see it. And would love to see it again after you get a chance to play with timing. Take a few twists out of those cables and see what it does for the top of your dfc.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    Interested in a custom tune? Visit us at . . . . .

tatersarcherysolutions dot com

Re: 2013 Bow Review: Obsession Knightmare

Quote Originally Posted by bcycle View Post
    Not this year.

I got nothing. Im not near as cool as my Galaxy SIII

I would like to see the DFC too

Thanks Jonah! You done an awesome review. Lots of facts with a little commentary. So much better than most of the crap you see when people review bows.

Quote Originally Posted by SARASR View Post
    Sounds like a winner! I so badly want to shoot one of these, I just need to get over the binary cams (I just figured out yolk tuning and got it down,,,lol).

Nice review thanks for sharing.
    I aint trying to bust your chops, these are binary cams too. They just do not have the yokes on each end to tune like the Bowtechs.

OK, so here is the DFC that I plotted out the old fashioned way. For some reason, I couldn't upload from my computer, but it let me do it from my phone. Anyways, its not as pretty as the mapper's curves, but it is still an effective way to plot the dfc. You can see how it hits peak weight early, but just holds peak weight for about 3" before slowly dropping to about 65 lbs and flattening out again before dropping into the valley. I believe that with a little tuning that I may be able to "flatten out" the top of the curve, which would mean the bow would be holding peak weight longer throughout the draw cycle.

IMG_20121211_181605.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Burnt View Post
    I aint trying to bust your chops, these are binary cams too. They just do not have the yokes on each end to tune like the Bowtechs.
    Yes that's what I meant, I'm currently shooting an Iceman. But I have been looking at the Obsession bows with alot of intrest just never owned a binary system so for me just intimidated by the unknown.
    A Redneck lost in a yuppie town

Quote Originally Posted by SARASR View Post
    Yes that's what I meant, I'm currently shooting an Iceman. But I have been looking at the Obsession bows with alot of intrest just never owned a binary system so for me just intimidated by the unknown.
    I am sorry! I thought you might be comparing a Bowtech with yokes to this. I apologize again, but on the subject of the different cams- binaries are the smoothest drawing cam that delivers the most speed in my opinion. I also believe they are easiest to achieve a quiet shot from and usually there is less perceived hand shock when shooting a binary. They have advantages when tuning for max performance over a one cam as starting position or timing of the one cam has but one sweet spot. With that being said, I have never shot one but I heard the Iceman is one of the finest one cam bows ever made.

What is the valley like, or did I miss it? YOU KNOW what kind of cavernous valley I am used to!!!

Hits peak weight 6" into the draw cycle....am I reading that right?

Quote Originally Posted by FritoLay View Post
    Hits peak weight 6" into the draw cycle....am I reading that right?
    That is correct. It hits peak weight right around 6" into the draw cycle, maybe a skosh before.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Burnt View Post
    What is the valley like, or did I miss it? YOU KNOW what kind of cavernous valley I am used to!!!
    . You wouldn't know what to do with this much valley! Lol. You would think that the bow locked up on you.

Ok, so in my initial review I gave you the numbers right out of the box. There was no need for synching the cams, because they were perfectly synched from the factory. I showed you a draw force curve of the bow right out of the box, and showed that the bow was only hitting peak weight for 3" of the power stroke.

Now, here is after a little tuning. I plotted a new DFC, and this one shows the bow hitting peak weight at about 6" into the draw cycle just like the first one. Where this one differs, is in how long the bow stays at peak weight. This DFC shows the bow staying at peak weight for 9" of the power stroke.

This bow has a 20.75" power stroke. To figure the power stroke of the bow you take:

draw length-brace height-1.75"= power stroke
    28.75"-6.25"-1.75"= 20.75"

So out of 20.75" of power stroke, 9" of that is at the bows peak weight. This is much better than 3" that we previously had.

Here is a pic of the new DFC.

Knightmare New DFC.jpg

Was there a speed gain?

Knightmare New Chrono Reading.jpg

I shot the same 345 grain arrow as before and here are the numbers:

This is an average of 332.2 fps which is 4.4 fps faster than the average right out of the box which was 327.8 fps.

Also, it is in the information here, but just want to mention the fact that the draw length and peak weight remained the same as they were out of the box.

Oh, I also forgot to mention that after the tune Backcountry IBO calculator puts the IBO at 349 fps, and On Target 2 puts the IBO at 353 fps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast