a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: BCY Bearpaw serving tool

BCY Bearpaw serving tool

Anyone using it and would you recommend it ? Trying to gather tools for servicing my own bow.

PSE Stinger 60 lb / Nighthawk,Prowler,Limbtree.
    PSE Vendetta 60lb / Nighthawk,Raptor.Limbtree.
    PSE Spyder 60lb MOBU / to be set up for fishing.

did not like it at all, if you want to get one that is great and will never give you issues just get a beiter and be done with it, my second choice is aae cavalier. problem with alot is all the spools dont fit correctly and they are real inconsistent on the tension, making it hard to do properly when its pulling hard then lets a ton out real easily, it will be jerky with tenison. Bearpaw wasnt as bad for that as others but its tall and thats where i couldnt get to like it myself. spigarelli are great too from what others say.
    Hoyt Vector35 - QAD - Spot-Hogg - Doinker - Easton - FOB's
    Hoyt Dorado 50# - FMJ's
    T.R.U. Ball www.truball.com FOB's www.Starrflight.com Doinker www.doinker.com
    "If you dont stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!"

Quote Originally Posted by dwagoner View Post
    did not like it at all, if you want to get one that is great and will never give you issues just get a beiter and be done with it, my second choice is aae cavalier. problem with alot is all the spools dont fit correctly and they are real inconsistent on the tension, making it hard to do properly when its pulling hard then lets a ton out real easily, it will be jerky with tenison. Bearpaw wasnt as bad for that as others but its tall and thats where i couldnt get to like it myself. spigarelli are great too from what others say.
    +1 Can't beat a Beiter! I have all three types and ended up buying two more Beiters so I did not have to use the other types.

I've got a Beiter, Bearpaw, and a Spigarelli. The Bearpaw for the money is well worth it for the guy only servicing his own bow or for working on a jig.
    The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmuley View Post
    I've got a Beiter, Bearpaw, and a Spigarelli. The Bearpaw for the money is well worth it for the guy only servicing his own bow or for working on a jig.
    Ditto that. For someone doing strings professionally, or for a proshop that may be replacing a ton of servings every year, the Beiters are the better choice. For occassional use every once in a blue moon, the Bearpaw will work fine.

Is tension control a main factor in deciding which one to buy? How much tension should be used when serving a new string or cable, and is that relevant to why one should by the Beiter?

Tension is a key factor,yes..to much tension can cause peep rotation,and serving seperation...what theyre talking about is the tendency for some serving tools to back of tension during use which is just a pain if you dont catch it right away..as far as how much tension you should serve with,every maker has theyre own preferences..usually somewhere between 2-5 lbs..if you want a good string then buy good tools,as the old saying goes a man is only as good as the tools he uses..i myself use the bcy server,mainly cause thats what works best on my motorized winder..i took deezlins advise and change the washers and put a rubber gromet on the bolt head side and a nylock wingnut so it doesnt accidentally lose tension..im waiting for an emerald bobbin to show up cause its something i havent tried and i like the design...but who knows,it may end up in the spare box with a few others or it may be my new fav tool..

i just make strings for myself and family but i have 2- of the bear paws that i use with my n/w spinner and have not had any trouble with them.

I like the bear paw my self and have never had any trouble with it and it's probably the best bang for the buck but the beiter is better but it's also twice the price but it's worth it if you will be doing alot of string building but i still like the bear paw and think it is a good serving jig.
    2011 Bowtech Destroyer 340 Stokerized HHA OL5500 W/third axis Octane batamweight Bowjax everything limbsaver Torqueless Competion grip
    Baldy's strings & tune g5 vaportrail limb driver pro v Carbon Express Blue Streak Select 350's Grim Reaper Razorcuts & Accunocks
    Tru Ball Beast Tru ball boss x 63 lb 30'' draw 358grain arrow @322fps

Thought I would resurrect this thread. I just picked up a Bearpaw and a spool of Angel Majesty. The problem is that the spool is solid and the retaining washers on the jig are made for spools that are slotted. Any remedies?

I use only the aae's the work great and are simple to use.

Quote Originally Posted by dwagoner View Post
    This ^ I had to modify the bear paw to even get it to work. The fit of the parts was very poor.

I had a bearpaw, got rid of it. the tension is inconsistent and the whole rig is far too light. get a Beiter and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by reylamb View Post
    Ditto that. For someone doing strings professionally, or for a proshop that may be replacing a ton of servings every year, the Beiters are the better choice. For occassional use every once in a blue moon, the Bearpaw will work fine.
    I disagree. the cost difference is a lousy $20. they hold their tension properly and the weight is right. even if you do one centre serving a year I'd rather do it right for the tiny cost.
    This space intentionally left blank. Independent thought isn't welcome.