Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New archer looking for reasonably priced competition compound bow

New archer looking for reasonably priced competition compound bow

Hey all,

Forgive my ignorance. I have recently gotten into archery. I have taken lessons and rented a compound bow from my local archery range. I love the sport and am dying to buy my very own compound bow. The rentals at my range are pretty horrible. I have been reading up on everything compound bow related and am ready to drop some cash on a new setup for myself. My interest is in competition archery, and maybe some 3D archery as well. I completely understand that you need to "try the bow" before you buy the bow. The feel of the bow is a huge factor. I am very aware of that. Same as buying my motorcycle (LOL). The bike picks you...you don't pick the bike. I feel that buying a bow is similar.

My question is this... In my research, it seems that unless i'm willing to spend $500 or more - there isn't much out there for me. That's a big investment in a sport that I have just recently gotten into. Bows such as the HCA Eliminator, PSE Phenom, Maitland Zeus and Session are kinda out of my price range.

Does there exist a good $300-400 competition bow that I could purchase for basic indoor paper target/competition shooting that could carry me for a year or two before I want to upgrade?

Doesn't seem like one exists...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Check out some used Athens bows, specifically the Exceed 300. It's a great do-it-all bow. I used to own one but when the new Afflixtion came out I sold it and bought 2 of them. Athens bows have a lifetime warranty no matter how many owners the bow has had. Last I looked there were a few Exceed's for sale in the classifieds here
    Elite Energy 35/Americas Best Bowstrings Staff/Vendetta Archery Pro Staff/Black Eagle Arrows Prostaff/Hamskea Industry Staff/VaneTec Prostaff/TRU Ball/Axcel staff/Bust A Buck Staff

There are several quality used bows for sale on here that will do a great job for you.
    Mathews Creed 29.5/70 blacked out. Black eagle Rampage arrows.

Some very good bows can be had for that $$ I would bet from Mathews, Bowtech and Hoyt- something 6-8 years old should be fine- just make sure you get the right draw length- hard to have good form with too long a draw.
    It takes no more time to see the good side of life than to see the bad.”― Jimmy Buffett
    “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has” M. Mead

I think that you could get a very nice bow for that money.

If I were looking, I would probably look for a longer ATA, a slightly lower poundage (maybe around 60 pounds), and something a bit older than three years. I have an 08 Commander that is a dream to shoot and I believe you could find one of those in your range.

Good luck.

Misson archery has a target bow at a reasonable price.

Look at the PSE Phenom it's a budget minded target bow

I know where a person could possibly get a single cam black PSE Supra, 50 - 60 lb., new cables and string in like new condition for about the top of your price range............ all tuned and ready to kill X's! Might even be able to squeeze a spring steel rest out of him.

Quote Originally Posted by sixt3denied View Post
    Hey all,

Forgive my ignorance. I have recently gotten into archery. I have taken lessons and rented a compound bow from my local archery range. I love the sport and am dying to buy my very own compound bow. The rentals at my range are pretty horrible. I have been reading up on everything compound bow related and am ready to drop some cash on a new setup for myself. My interest is in competition archery, and maybe some 3D archery as well. I completely understand that you need to "try the bow" before you buy the bow. The feel of the bow is a huge factor. I am very aware of that. Same as buying my motorcycle (LOL). The bike picks you...you don't pick the bike. I feel that buying a bow is similar.

My question is this... In my research, it seems that unless i'm willing to spend $500 or more - there isn't much out there for me. That's a big investment in a sport that I have just recently gotten into. Bows such as the HCA Eliminator, PSE Phenom, Maitland Zeus and Session are kinda out of my price range.

Does there exist a good $300-400 competition bow that I could purchase for basic indoor paper target/competition shooting that could carry me for a year or two before I want to upgrade?

Doesn't seem like one exists...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
    Know when to walk away and know when to run.
    You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table."
    Supra ME,[/COLOR] DNA SP
    Stan ShootOff and JustX releases for hunting, foam and paper!

I also think it's hard to beat the PSE Phenom for the price.
    2013 PSE Stinger 3G @ 51lbs/27.5" - GT Pro Hunter - AAE Pro Blade - CBE Tek Target - TruBall Fang 3

For that price range not a new one, however you can find some used target bows for around that price on the classifieds here. Some used Mathews, pse, Idk of many used Hoyt's for that price. Even look in the hunting I have seen some hunting bows that would make some great target bows.

Go to the Classifieds and search Mathews. Look for a Conquest 4 (C4) There were several priced under $500 awhile back.
    Go to the Clasifieds and search Hoyt. Look for ProElite, UltraElite.

These bows eat, live, and breath target archery. And many older ones can be found in your price range.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction of target archery!!!
    Mathews C4 (3D)
    Mathews Chill w/rock mods! (hunting)
    GoldTip Staff
    TRU Ball Staff

I picked up an old Mathews Conquest 3 with a Toxonics sight, Spot hogg infinity rest and easton stab a couple years ago for just a little more than that. Even threw in a half dozen 2512 X7s. Most guys take really good care of their target bows, so I wouldnt be afraid to go used for now. That's what I did and I'll tell you right now, you'd better be prepared to spend a lot of money, because its very addicting.

Will find plenty used. Mathews conquest 4 or apex. Hoyt protec or ultra elite. Pse moneymaker or maybe supra
    Buddy of mine got all setup with a used pro tec and all accessories, arrows and release for around $500 or so. Hang around your local club or range and befriend the guys that shoot the target stuff you are looking at ask advice. Most guys that have been doing this long enough have some old stuff laying around that they will let you have for little or nothing. I know I have save stuff I know won't sell for much on here so I keep it until I find someone I can help out needs it
    Iowa Outdoor Store staff shooter

Quote Originally Posted by Gopherman View Post
    If I were looking, I would probably look for a longer ATA, a slightly lower poundage (maybe around 60 pounds), and something a bit older than three years. I have an 08 Commander that is a dream to shoot and I believe you could find one of those in your range.
    For instance, I just purchased a Commander in the AT classifieds for 165. Now, I have to buy mods for my DL, and obviously outfit with sight/scope/and rest. Might have to change the strings, but my Bowtech shop thinks they are fine, just need some new serving around the cable guards. Oh yeah, it was also converted to a shoot through system already.

I've bought everything used so far. Now, I also shoot left handed, so while there isn't as many things for me to browse in the classifieds, when it does show up, the deals can tend to be better, but then when I sell I get a little less too. Double edged sword.

I'm excited to see how I shoot it this indoor season.
    Strother Wrath - 60# 29.5" QAD Pro HD, Hogg Father, Doinker Elite Supreme Hunter, T.R.U. Ball Pro Diamond Xtreme

PSE Supra Max, NAP SmartRest, Doinker Elite Supreme, Spot-Hogg Hogg Father & Spark Pro, T.R.U. Ball Absolute 360/HT 3 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rattlinman View Post
    Go to the Classifieds and search Mathews. Look for a Conquest 4 (C4) There were several priced under $500 awhile back.
    Go to the Clasifieds and search Hoyt. Look for ProElite, UltraElite.

These bows eat, live, and breath target archery. And many older ones can be found in your price range.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction of target archery!!!
    yes you are right i seen one on there for 375.00 great looking bow and they shoot great also . good luck on what every you get ...

I just got a full set up by purchasing pieces from people on here and ebay. Found a great 2003 Protec for 200 and just purchased older models of everything else that I needed. Actually I eneded up getting 2 bows but one didnt fit my dl. Once you get your draw length squared away send me a pm. Mayne we can make a deal if my extra bow will fit you.

If i were you i would go towards a smaller bow company to buy used. Companies such as strother (the inspire), athens (exceed 300), and new breed (cyborg or eclipse) seem to have much lower resale values than one of the big four. Any of these bows will be much more shock free, newer, and alot faster than a conquest four too. I just got an inpire for 300.

I hate 7 year old bows!

My '05 Pro Elite

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vantage Elite +'s (77#, 60#, 55#) And a Matrix with Spirals for hunting
    Things I Like: Honey Badger Bowstrings, Gold Tip Arrows, Affordable Stabilizer Weights (ASW), Grave Digger Broadheads, and DS Advantage Products

Re: New archer looking for reasonably priced competition compound bow

Thinking of going with the PSE Stinger 3G. Huntersfriend has a RTS package for $535.00 I think it will be a good bow to get me started on indoor target/competition as well as outdoor 3D shooting. The package price looks perfect. It has a 7.75 brace height which should give me some forgiveness, 33" ATA, and is very easily adjusted for draw length and draw weight. Any thoughts guys???

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Wait, you went from asking about competition and target bows to wanting to get an entry level hunting bow?

Take one of the many suggestions in this thread and buy a used target bow. I don't think you'll be happy with that for indoor.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
    Strother Wrath - 60# 29.5" QAD Pro HD, Hogg Father, Doinker Elite Supreme Hunter, T.R.U. Ball Pro Diamond Xtreme

PSE Supra Max, NAP SmartRest, Doinker Elite Supreme, Spot-Hogg Hogg Father & Spark Pro, T.R.U. Ball Absolute 360/HT 3 Pro

I figured that the ATA was on the long side which made it a good all around bow. Its been described as a good cross-over bow. Some other forum members have said they use it for competition shooting... Just considering it as an option. I'm one of those people that dont like buying things used. I've read up on some of the less expensive competition bows and the reviews arent too good on most. Figured the stinger 3G was a good middle of the road option...

Well, I wouldn't consider 33 ATA on the long side.

If you started this thread with I want a hunting bow, and to do spots and 3d, then I'd think you would be fine with that. However you started with competition/target. I think you will hate the rest quickly for that, and maybe the sight with that package. The stabilizer isn't a target stab.

You wanted something to last you a year or two before you wanted to upgrade, I just don't think this is going to be it for your stated purpose.

Now, I've been shooting a couple of years now. Had a short hutning bow for a year, and upgraded to a Wrath hunting bow this last year. Now, everything was new on that first bow, and to sell the thing when I got my Wrath, I sold all of it with the bow for about half the price of just the bow.

That is fine, I got what I wanted/needed out of it. Now, I got my Wrath new, but sight and rest were used, saved a TON of money that way.

I wanted to get an indoor bow for this winter, and to shoot a lot more indoor stuff. I would have loved to have got a Moxie for that, but that isn't in the cards, I just happened upon an older bow that has a nice brace and longer ata. I don't know that it is/was a target bow specifically, but lots of guys have outfitted them to be, I also got a rest, sight and scope used for it as well.

I'm going to have around $400 into it when it is all said and done. When/if I want to upgrade it, the sight and rest will easily move forward, and all I would have to really look at is the bow.

I get not wanting to buy used, and especially over AT where you don't even get to see the guy, but I think you will really save yourself a lot of money and more importantly time shooting a bow that you really want to be shooting vs one you settled on because it was new and the right price.

Theres nothing middle of the road about a Stinger. You asked a question and got some great advice. If you are looking for a target bow, then buy a target bow. A long ATA is not 33". When people talk about long ATA they are speaking in the 37"- 40" range. Theres nothing wrong with used bows. I prefer new stuff too, but if you don't have $1000 or more to drop on a bare bow, you need to get something about 6-8 yrs old.
    It's your choice, but don't ask us what to do when you get the Stinger and it sucks for the type of shooting you want to do. And then you will try to sell it to go the route we are telling you to go now. But you wont be able to get $200 for a used stinger.

I shoot an Ovation for an indoor bow. They stopped making them in 06' but its a sweet shooting machine.

Ok guys. I get your point- lol. I am planning on doing mostly indoor shooting and want to eventually join the competition league at my indoor range. Was thinking outdoor 3D would be cool one day too. I have zero desire to hunt. So i will continue my research as well as shopping the used bow market on this forum and hopefully will find something i can afford. Another question: what kind of arrow rest is commonly used for target/competition shooting? Drop-away? I read that the whisker bisket damages fletchings. What are u guys using for target shooting??

Thanks again for all the advice...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast