a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Covert SLS

Covert SLS

Anyone else shooting the SLS? I bought one this year and love it. Shot 2 deer with it, and plan to shoot a turkey this spring with it. My wife enjoys shooting it as well..........

I was thinking about getting one Hawkeman, shot one and liked it,,, my brother in law is getting one for Christmas and I want to spend a little time with his before dropping any coin, they do shoot well !
    LS 390, HHA, HHA scope L-4
    Excalibur Matrix 380, RH Custom string, Trigger Tech, HHA
    Crossbow Warrior Pro Staff
    NRA Member !

Re: Covert SLS

I was looking at this bow as well. I can't seem to find many reviews out there I guess because it is so new. Any information would be appreciated.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Well, this is my first crossbow so i cant really compare it to anything else. But what i can tell you is that it shoots great, easy to cock without crank. My wife can cock and load it herself. The front tactical grip is very nice when in treestands, I mostly hunt on the ground and use a shooting stick, so i dont use it much anyways. i like the light up scope, it has different brightness and colors..........ive seen some scopes that turn on and its too bright, but this one is nice. the bow itself isnt too loud, my brother has a horton and its quieter than his..........i hope this can help ya. i just love this bow.

Thanks alot for the info. It definitely looks like a nice bow for the money and you can't beat the fact that it comes with carbon express arrows also.

they are very narrow and fast, and heavy! I had loaned this one out, probably sell it late summer.

001_zpsd2767238.jpg

I handled one some weeks ago and I will echo the heavy part! But they are compact, too. I am keeping the SLS on my radar though...
    Regards,

steve-in-kville
    Ben Pearson Colt * Parker BuckBuster 175 * Parker Challenger

Are you happy with the bow Lenny? I did notice that they are heavy but I don't think i will mind that.

Got my bro - in - law set up today , wind's howling but I knew he wanted to shoot it .
    When we unpacked it Christmas eve the vanes were smushed and ruined so I brought the arrows home and refletched with
    Blazers, ,,wrong move, they bottom out badly !! dang it ! (not really what I said , but this a family show )
    Still with the wind and vane issue was able to shoot well @ 20 yds. for him , zeroed the scope at 20 yds, in 5-6 shots ...
    Moved out to 30 and scope was dead on ! I mean dead on ! a little right windage adjustment and ,,, tac drivin!

Not crazy about the trigger , a good bit of creep and kinda rough feeling right before it lets go but not bad , it should smooth in time .
    It cocks very, very easily , we used the cocking sled the first time but had a bit of difficulty removing the sled after cocking due to string angle and scratched the anodizing a bit , so we went to the rope cocker and was impressed how easy it was to cock.

It is a little heavy but not enough to bother, settles the bow real well and reduces perceived shock.
    The front fore grip concerned me untill I shot it free hand, it really does steady the bow well when pulled tight to the shoulder, I liked it.
    The arrows are Maxima hunters weighed in at 386 grn, and shot well ...
    The bow was shipped with the cams terribly out of time, plus the vane issue and still shot very accurately , I told him get some GT Laser III from our dealer here and I will time the cams and he should be very impressed!

I also was testing to see if the AB Target that I got him for Christmas would stop my 380 from 10 yds and hold up , it performed as described and seems to be a good field tip target for $39 !
    This is his first crossbow and he was grinning from ear to ear !!
    NRA Member !

Great review, rxx75! How bad is the trigger on a 1-10 scale?
    "Never judge a man... Till you walk a mile in his swamp." -----Swamp Donky

Well... maybe a 5? , I shoot sz 380s so nothing else compares, with that said, it does have a good bit of creep with additional stiffness when the butter meets the bread if ya know what I mean, it's listed @ 5 lb. and it's probably every bit of that, the trigger is my biggest gripe.
    Got it timed today and its a good shooter even if the Blazers bottom out in the trough ? the rep I talked to today said his does too a little bit?
    chronied it at only 340, I didn't want to keep twisting cables to try to get near that 355 mark (chrony may be inaccurate ). it shoots good though, I could just about bust nocks all day with it @ 30 yds....

Oh , the rep also said they are putting timing marks on the new ones ! I wish all compounds came with em !
    and they know about the smushed vanes and are addressing that as well !
    NRA Member !

I hear ya on the SZ vs SLS trigger comparison... Be nice if they all had the timing marks but a fellow can always manage by indexing the cams inside or outside limbs with a marker. Use holes in cam and marker as reference. So long as strings are settled in an tiller distance match should be good to go.

Also 340 fps is pretty close to advertised speed with a 390 gr arrow/bolt.
    "Never judge a man... Till you walk a mile in his swamp." -----Swamp Donky

I like mine

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeman20 View Post
    Anyone else shooting the SLS? I bought one this year and love it. Shot 2 deer with it, and plan to shoot a turkey this spring with it. My wife enjoys shooting it as well..........
    I got one last fall and opening morning shot a nice doe at 35 yards. It went right through her. The bolt went another 10 yards and burried itself in the ground up to the vanes. I feel comfortable shooting it at 40 yards and can consistently get 3" groupings. The front grip is really nice and helps to steady the bow. The only two complaints I have heard is they are a little heavy and the way the trigger feels. Neither one of those issue concern me enough to regret buying it. I am very please with it.

let me add to the covert sls. you can use the nitehawk bow press with the smaller turnbuckle to change out the string and cables. just saying

Well, I had mine since August. Sighted it in and shot it about 50 times total. While hunting this evening the black metal base that the scope rings bolt to came loose. The whole assembly that the arrow nock, safety, scope mount and I suppose the trigger as well will easily move forward, backward and side to side about 1/4". Yeah. That's a big problem. Great bow right up until that moment. Now the rut has started in Michigan and I get to take this POS back to Bass Pro Shops and/or call Carbon Express and see what they want to do. I'm done with CE stuff forever.

Hope you have better luck.

E.

When said HEAVY... what is the exact weight of the SLS, i have heard anywhere from 7.5 to 11 pounds? 10+ lbs is a bit much for a bow...

I just bought the SLS and it will be here Monday-Tuesday....my first X-bow and I'm sure I'll have questions

Does anyone know if there's any trigger adjustment on the sls?