Thread: Recommended arrows for new Apprentice 2

Recommended arrows for new Apprentice 2

After joining the site and searching and reading tons of information, I ordered a new Apprentice 2 for my 10-year old son for Christmas. Not knowing if he's really going to stick with this archery thing, I didn't want to spend a boatload of money, but wanted something that was high enough quality that he could shoot accurately. Like a lot of kids, if he can't get the satisfaction of doing it well, he won't stick with it. I think the Apprentice 2 will fit the bill, and I won't have to buy another bow for a few years.

Now my question now is what length of arrow is recommended. His draw length is 22 inches. Anyone with experience with this bow have any recommended arrows?

Arrow selection may depend on several factors. Do you want the arrows to use the same arrows for several years of your son's growth? Do you want them to be spined fairly accurately to the bow? How many pounds is your son drawing?
    IMHO I'd go with a 500 spine (probably too stiff now) and leave them a little long (24-25 inches). They'll handle into the 50 pounds of draw weight and will be able to grow at least three inches of draw length.
    Another factor is how your son will be shooting. If he will be losing and breaking arrows, then I'd recommend the cheapest 600 spine that I could find and cut them at 23 inches. As he grows and pulls more pounds, buy stiffer arrows. And, that may be a while.
    I do hope you have fun with your son and archery.
    Bear Staff Shooter
    Target bow: Anarchy HC. Hunting bow: Agenda 6.
    Traditional bows: Super Kodiak and AuSable

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. He's shot compound bows a few times, and he's pretty accurate. The first time he tried he surprised himself, which then led to wanting a bow for Christmas. Archery is all new to me, so I'm just reading and learning as much as possible.

I'm not 100% sure his draw-weight - probably about 30lbs.

I also have the Apprentice 2 under the tree for my 9 year old son. We went to the local shop and he shot at 22 length draw and 25 lbs of pull. I am just gonna let him shoot the same arrows I shoot this way he will just grow into them. I figure it would not hurt at this age at all shooting a longer arrow. Christmas morning is gonna be awesome cause he can not stop talking about wanting a bow for christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by pwyrick View Post
    arrow selection may depend on several factors. Do you want the arrows to use the same arrows for several years of your son's growth? Do you want them to be spined fairly accurately to the bow? How many pounds is your son drawing?
    Imho i'd go with a 500 spine (probably too stiff now) and leave them a little long (24-25 inches). They'll handle into the 50 pounds of draw weight and will be able to grow at least three inches of draw length.
    Another factor is how your son will be shooting. If he will be losing and breaking arrows, then i'd recommend the cheapest 600 spine that i could find and cut them at 23 inches. As he grows and pulls more pounds, buy stiffer arrows. And, that may be a while.
    I do hope you have fun with your son and archery.
    x2.
    "Spend more time shooting less time nitpicking you're shooting!"
    Hoyt VE+
    Tru ball
    B stinger
    Carbon Express

lots play into this. I have sold a lot of these and I tell people are you going to let him hunt with this this year or just shoot targets the first year to get used to it. Most say just targets the first year in that case I put them in aluminum easton Genesis 1820 this is what most of the 4H kids shoot around here they are nasp approved some people don't like them because the points are glued in and they are aluminum so if you miss and hit something hard you could bend them but the are fairly inexpensive seen them anywhere form $40-50 per dozen with target points in them.