Thread: Best over the counter elk state?

Best over the counter elk state?

So I am planning an elk hunt for this upcoming fall (2013) archery season. Obviously whatever tag I get will have to be an over the counter. The cheapest that I've found so far are Oregon and Colorado. So basically I am asking which state you would choose and also which national forest would you hunt. This will be my first elk hunt and I am doing a DIY hunt. I read an article where Mark Seacat lists the top ten public lands for elk (the top 3 were Oregon's Siuslaw National forest, Montana's Beaverhead-Deerlodge National forest, and Colorado's White River National Forest).

Team Mimosa Outdoors

Mimosaoutdoors.com

Youre a year ahead of me.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman14 View Post
    Youre a year ahead of me.
    haha that's hilarious. I accidentally hit a 4. yeah fall 2013 season, it still allowed me to change it
    Team Mimosa Outdoors

Mimosaoutdoors.com

Montana isnt bad. Anything diy is gonna be tough.

Best over the counter elk state?

ID has a lot of good opportunities for DIY elk, and lots of public land. I shot the 6x6 in my avatar in ID in 2009 on a DIY solo hunt.

I guess I would have to say CO due to the number of elk.
    Lien2

I've done MT and CO. You'll have a lot more opportunities in CO to see and shoot elk. I've been to Deerlodge/Beaverhead twice now (brother in law now lives in MT). They just dont have the number of elk that CO does. % of success in MT is 1/2 of CO too.
    Aim small. Shoot BIG!

I have not hunted Montana, but I have ID, CO, and WY. I'd go to Wyoming. If you don't know where to go in CO, you will see far more bowhunters than elk.
    sine labore nihil

Oregon and maybe even Washington for sure....but dont tell anyone. The hunter pressure is light and they love non resident hunters- treat them like family...especially guys from Ca.
    It takes no more time to see the good side of life than to see the bad.”― Jimmy Buffett
    “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has” M. Mead

I live in Colorado and the pressure is tremendous in most of the otc units. I would think states like Idaho would have less pressure, but I do not know from experience.

well based on these posts it's looking like i'll be looking at oregon or idaho. haven't checked on idaho prices yet for elk tags. need to check wyoming too
    Team Mimosa Outdoors

Mimosaoutdoors.com

Orange County, People's Republik of Mexifornistan
    I was welcomed in OR and there was tremendous pressure on the elk. I'm certain they know when archery season opens because of all the bipeds calling. I hunted Rosies on the coast...if ya wanna know what that's like visit http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...hunt+adventure. OR is closer, I hope to get drawn in NV or AZ but if not, I will return to OR. I had my chance at a big 5X5 and one small decision blew it. Being 56 yards from a herd of 19 is something i will never forget. Good luck to you.
    ’11 Hoyt Carbon Element 65lb draw, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, QAD HDX drop-away rest, 8” Axion Gridlock 3D Hunter stabilizer, Archer Xtreme Carbon Vapor (camo dipped) quiver
    The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

well I just found out that utah has some over the counter units so I am now considering that also
    Team Mimosa Outdoors

Mimosaoutdoors.com

Don't think Wyoming has any non-resident OTC elk tags.