Thread: Hoyt vtec tuning problem!

Hoyt vtec tuning problem!

I've got a 2005 vtec that i have owned for years and stopped shooting it about 3 years ago. I decided to pick it back up and set it up for a 3d bow. I had custom string built for it and they fit perfect. I have #7 cams on it. shooting a QAD HDX rest. started paper tuning and found a problem. cam lean. at full draw my cam leans to the left so i twisted the yokes to fix it. nock high through the paper!!!!! tried everthing and still the same. thought it was a fletching contact problem so i went to bare shaft. still the same. i checked the specks on the bow and my ata should be at 35 1/2''. its 36 1/2''? my brace should be 6 3/4. its 7''. what needs to be done to get this bow back to it's specks? is this causing a timing prob. i need help!!!!! i don't ever get this deep into a bow so i'm lost. please let me know experts cause this is out of my norm.

Quote Originally Posted by hgoen View Post
    I've got a 2005 vtec that i have owned for years and stopped shooting it about 3 years ago. I decided to pick it back up and set it up for a 3d bow. I had custom string built for it and they fit perfect. I have #7 cams on it. shooting a QAD HDX rest. started paper tuning and found a problem. cam lean. at full draw my cam leans to the left so i twisted the yokes to fix it. nock high through the paper!!!!! tried everthing and still the same. thought it was a fletching contact problem so i went to bare shaft. still the same. i checked the specks on the bow and my ata should be at 35 1/2''. its 36 1/2''? my brace should be 6 3/4. its 7''. what needs to be done to get this bow back to it's specks? is this causing a timing prob. i need help!!!!! i don't ever get this deep into a bow so i'm lost. please let me know experts cause this is out of my norm.
    With the axle length being 1" off and br. 1/4" off I would say you have the wrong str. & cable lengths. Check the hoyt tune charts for proper lengths and compare lengths with your new strings,also when measuring A-A & br. be sure you have the limbs maxed out (tightend down all the way).

inch off ata is a lot. did you check the string lengths before the install? was the bow in spec with the old strings?

I would double check the strings for proper length before I did anything. The high tear sounds like a cam sync or timing issue. are you measuring your specs with the limb bolts maxed out?

no the limbs are not maxed. i will try this now. the specks on the custom string package matched hoyt's speck's for a # 7 cam, but i didn't measure each. thanks.

so i maxed the bow out. the br got better 6 7\8'' but not 6 3\4 . ata is still 36 1\2. if the string is to long i can understand the ata problem, but if shorter strings were on the bow the limbs would come in twords each other to gain the 35 1\2 then would my brace get larger?? like i said i'm lost

Re: Hoyt vtec tuning problem!

I had the same bow and also had the same #7 cams and my bow measured 36.5" ata also. I think there was a misprint on the tune chart. I wouldn't worry about the ata or bh as much as would getting DL and weight correct. Just sync and time cams and shoot away. The vtec is a very accurate bow.
    Elite Energy 35

glad to hear you say that vtec 21. thought i was going bonkers. i didn't think it was possible for a bow to grow an inch in three yeas. going to take it to the shop for some timing help.