Thread: Arrow flight

Arrow flight

My daughter shoots a Martin 45# long bow and it seems the arrows fligh goofy. They are Golt Tip 3555's with feathers. I wonder if they need to be heavier shafts. What arrows are best with this set up?
    Strother SX1
    I can resist anything......except temtation!

I'm thinking the bow is 45@28 and she's not drawing 28"? If that's the case, the GT would be too stiff. Try a heavier point

Eyeball down the shaft to the arrow rest from the string centered on the limbs and see how far offset the point is to the side. Some longbows have quite an offset (say, three-ish arrow widths). If the offset is such, you may need a far lighter spine than you would for a similarly-weighted bow with a closer-towards-center rest.

The nock point on the string may need adjustment. Use a small strip of masking tape and experiment with different heights, ranging from 3/8" up to 6/8". You might hit magic somewhere in there. Ignore convention ... observe flight. (A split-shooter can nock over an existing nock to see what higher will do to the flight - a free test.)

Good luck.

arrow weight has nothing to do with poor flight - a well tuned arrow will fly straight at any weight. What is likely the problem is a spine issue - but it could also be that the nock locator is not positioned properly, the brace height is wrong, the nock fitting way to tight - or a combination of all.

We need more information to try and help you - what is her draw length - I tend to think that Jim might be right - but without knowing the details - it is impossible to say

Quote Originally Posted by nuttinbutchunks View Post
    My daughter shoots a Martin 45# long bow and it seems the arrows fligh goofy. They are Golt Tip 3555's with feathers. I wonder if they need to be heavier shafts. What arrows are best with this set up?
    A heavier arrow can definitely affect the dynamic spine.

Two arrows of the exact same static spine that weigh differently can fly differently out of a given bow.

My guess is your daughter's arrows are too stiff.

You can change that by going to a heavier arrow point or just buy weaker arrows.

Accurately matching arrows to your daughter's bow is primarily based on the bow's draw weight at her draw length. That info is than used with a spine calculator and/or a spine chart to find an arrow that should be some what close to the proper spine.

At that point the archer should do some tuning.

An archer really needs to have their form somewhat mastered to start any serious tuning or they will get inconsistent readings.

Here's a good link on tuning - http://bowmaker.net/index2.htm

Ray

Buy some CX predator 2 2040's with 125 tips and problem solved!!

Thanks, I have some things to check out.
    Strother SX1

GT1535s with 50 gr inserts and 125 gr points should work. Leave them long.

Quote Originally Posted by nuttinbutchunks View Post
    Thanks, I have some things to check out.
    Yes you do - and so does she.

I recommend BOTH of you read THIS:

http://bowmaker.net/tuning.htm

others have said it and I will give the same advice. 15/35's will work much better. I draw a wimpy 40lb draw weight recurve and have a 27.5 inch draw length and a 15/35 with a hundred grain tip does the job very well. That is an arrow cut to 29 inches. That is a Tradtech Titan. I figure the longbow would like a similar setup. Something with more give would fix it most likely. This is based on my experience.
    <+><

Quote Originally Posted by MrSinister View Post
    others have said it and I will give the same advice. 15/35's will work much better. I draw a wimpy 40lb draw weight recurve and have a 27.5 inch draw length and a 15/35 with a hundred grain tip does the job very well. That is an arrow cut to 29 inches. That is a Tradtech Titan. I figure the longbow would like a similar setup. Something with more give would fix it most likely. This is based on my experience.
    Thanks, I'll look for some of those.

Strother SX1