a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Best Wyoming Archery elk Unit

Best Wyoming Archery elk Unit

Hello fellow archery elk hunters. I have 6 elk preference points for Wyoming. Any suggestions for the best unit to put in for with decent odds at being drawn? Historically unit 7 has been highly spoken of, but I'm not sure I want as much pressure as that unit seems to have. I've been putting in for unit 7 but maybe I should switch. Any thoughts?

you might get 7 with 6 points. I wouldn't burn points there unless i had been all over that unit and had a tested plan in place though. With max-1 you're out of the running for the best units.

From what I have seen of 7 its on a down cycle. Alot of pressure on the public and alot of money to hunt private. I would go big horns if I had 6 points.
    knowing that you performed to the best of your ability is the only comfort in the time of defeat....

If you have lots of time to scout, 7 can still be good but you'd better go in having a plan B... and a plan C, plan D, plan E, etc... because with 5000 tags and limited public access its likely that someone else has the same plan. Not sure what the answer is because I'm looking myself...

Re: Best Wyoming Archery elk Unit

PM elkman6x6. He'll tell you where to go.
    You can't shoot a big one if you shoot a little one first.
    You can't shoot anything if you aren't out trying.

Re: Best Wyoming Archery elk Unit

Quote Originally Posted by 123 4/8 P&Y View Post
    PM elkman6x6. He'll tell you where to go.
    That's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by mcinteer1 View Post
    That's funny.
    Where's manboy when you need him?
    knowing that you performed to the best of your ability is the only comfort in the time of defeat....

Thanks for all you input guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Looney View Post
    you might get 7 with 6 points. I wouldn't burn points there unless i had been all over that unit and had a tested plan in place though. With max-1 you're out of the running for the best units.
    Unless you pony up the extra $ for the special license. I hunted 7 in 2007, it was OK.

Quote Originally Posted by mcinteer1 View Post
    That's funny.
    Lol! As said, 7 takes some homework...
    ______________________________ __
    (2010 & 2011 BowTech Destroyer 340) HardWoods HD
    (2013 BowTech Experience) Ninja
    BlackGold, CarbonTech, G5, Octane, RipCord, RidgeRunner Slings and 60x Strings -
    'I'm get'n stupid loose and I'm a lefty!'

I can draw 7 this year too but in spite of all the "big bulls and lots of them" comments I sometimes see, I Gil has me scared.
    When you look at the property layout, a big bunch of the National Forest is private and or landlocked and no way to get there. They have most all those roads covered. Not sure I want all the hassle. If you don't draw an HMA your pretty much screwed or you pay trespass.

Bob. I have hunted it in 10 and 11. If you scout it you will have a chance to kill a bull.

Don't mean to scare anyone... people just need to realize that it's not the same area it was 8-10 years ago. I needed every minute of the 20 days I scouted last summer... I hadn't drawn in a couple years and was stunned by the number of archery hunters... some of them miles and miles from the roads. 16 might be an intriguing option...

I was amazed to see archery hunters where I did too when I hunted it. We were in 7 miles from trailhead, and bump guys. I think the biggest problem is guys paying trespass fees to try to get a better route onto the public. Drive across the private and hop the fence to hunt. They looked at me about as funny as I looked at them. Still a great hunt, but we didn't see a bull like the one that one hunter in our party killed 6 years ago. 370 7x7

JRN11 should chime in soon and help out! . He knows WY pretty well.
    Darton Archery Factory Staff Shooter - Check out the upgraded Darton DS-series at
    www.dartonarchery.com

VaporTrail Archery Platinum Staff Shooter - Looking for micro-adjustment in your rest? Check out out the NEW VaporTrail Micro-Elite Rest at www.vaportrailarchery.com

Quote Originally Posted by dbackinstructor View Post
    Where's manboy when you need him?
    big horns........a few areas worth burning points.....p/m/ sent
    Compounds.....a crossbow without a stock..... ya its still archery...
    Trad bows.....a compound without wheels.....ya its still archery...
    Crossbows.....a compound with a stock....ya its still archery......
    Archery, its why we are all on archerytalk,...... so stick togather and help preserve all our interest, not just your own!

I feel your pain looking for a new area while my body holds out now only have 2 points been hunting 11 will never draw again we got a nice 6pt couldn't get herd bull if you would go there PM me and I will tell you our spot but go archery and early the locals will overrun you .