Archery Talk Forum banner

Ten Point ACUdraw & ACUdraw 50

30K views 36 replies 24 participants last post by  1canvas 
#1 ·
Any comments on the ACUdraw or ACUdraw 50?

#4 ·
Being new to crossbow hunting I heard it was not wise to cock a crossbow in a tree stand. I bought the accudraw (the one that cranks). I know now it is pretty easy to use the accudraw 50 in a tree stand. Still I shot a button buck this week an hour before dark, cranked back the string and at last light shot a 138 inch dominant buck. The cranking is noisy, but very easy to do in a tree stand. Not sure how easy it is to use about the accudraw 50 in a tree stand. In addition my 10 year old can use the cranking device easier when he hunts with me.

#5 ·
I was having issues with the accudraw 50 on the crossbow I purchased (new) just before Christmas, ended up the spring broke. Called Ten Point they are taking care of it!

#7 ·
I bought a Tenpoint TL-7 crossbow in 2007 with the ACUdraw crank. It was very easy to cock the crossbow. The noise don't mater because I cock the crossbow at the truck then go hunt. I love Tenpoint products.:thumbs_up:cheers:

#11 ·
I have the 52 on mine. The only bad thing I have heard is that the clicking sound when cocking is a bit annoying on the 50. My next one will have the 50 on it for sure. Neck and shoulders are getting worse by the day.

#13 ·
I have the AccuDraw 52 on my Wicked Ridge Invader by Ten Point and it works well. Wicked Ridge advises that the cocking rope be waxed along with the bow strings and cables.

#14 ·
I was recently at Cabelas checking them out - I was only wanting to try the Accudraw and that sure was pretty sweet - The rep there was showing me that it had a couple settings - one that had the clicking sound and also a setting that you coulld crank it without the clicking sound. The big difference as he pointed out was safety in cranking it. With the clicker on and you had to stop drawing for some reason there was safety there that the crank would not reverse so if you were half drawn and had to stop for some reason it would stay there. With the clicker off - no such safety and if it slipped in your hand while cranking and you let go it would be almost like dry firing and the crank would rotate in the opposiite direction so fast that it would likely cause some type of bodily injury.

I'm guessing and being totally new and still trying to decide what to buy for my first crossbow is what the advantage of the Accudraw 50 is over the rope aid other than the crank? The 50 supposedly reduces effort to 50% of draw weight and isn't that pretty similar to what the ropes do?

#16 ·
Tped,
There is only one setting on the Acudraw and that is with the clicker on. Anything else is an accident waiting to happen. It was not designed to be used without the engage lever on.

The acudraw50 is quicker, quieter and cheaper, but it doesn't do as much work. Just depends on what you need.

#17 ·
I will admit that the rep at Cabelas did discuss the safety issue of not having the lever engaged and something I would probably not try. I did not try the Accudraw 50 but you are saying that it is quicker and quieter than the Accudraw - first why would that be the case? I am not an engineer and definitely don't get the quieter - quicker possibly due to draw effort as I'm taking the A-50 as taking the draw effort of a say 150lb bow to 75 and the full Accudraw takes that all the way to 6 lbs. so the gearing must be different to create that much reduction. I would love to save money like the next guy - right now I just don't know as I am right handed and my bicep tear is on the right arm - sure I can crank left handed and all but I don't want to cheat myself over $100 if the full Accudraw is much better. Right now I can barely pull a door open right handed and cannot open the top on a water bottle right handed but again that is right now and improving daily with therapy. Just trying to learn more as the original poster was as to the advantages and disadvantages and ultimate differences between the two. We have opinions as to what people above like having used them for their situation but not much in the way of actual technical data on them. Tenpoint website desrcirption - well - did they have a 10 word or less limit they had to meet?

#18 ·
Tped, This is my thoughts on the Accudraws, The Accu50 is on the bow more or less as an assistance to help with properly cocking the bow correctly and reducing the effort, whereas the Accudraw is on the bow to help aid the shooter (one who more than likely has a physical disability) in the process of cocking it properly.

#19 ·
brenth - so basically then the 50 is more of a convenience item and won't provide much more or a reduction than a rope aid but just make it easier to get drawn to the correct position whereas the true Accudraw actually provides the proper position but now makes the bow more accessable to those with a handicap issue..

#21 ·
The Acudraw 50 basically works the same as any standard rope cocker (50% draw weight reduction) except the unit is built into the stock. As Randy from TenPoint stated if you have a physical impairment the Acudraw (crank) is the best option.

Acudraw 50
Advantages - quicker to cock a bow and quieter than crank Acudraw, approximately $100 cheaper in price
Disadvantages - pulling about 45% more more draw weight than Acudraw

Acudraw
Advantages - About 45% weight reduction in cocking weight vs Acudraw 50. A lady, youth or physically impared person can easily cock a bow
Disadvantages - Slower to use, makes more noise, $100 more in cost

In either case I think both units are better than a standard rope cocker

#23 ·
My previous TenPoints all had AcuDraw50s B-U-U-U-T-T-T-T-T...I've reached a point in my life (74 years young) where I really like the AcuDraw. I ran the TenPoint Crossbow shooting area at the Archery Camp USA in Newburgh, Indiana this past June running 100 kids through camp. Each one shot at least 6 shots so we were very happy to have the AcuDraws in the bows. It took longer but it was a LOT easier on us "cockers".

Choice is what do you need in a cocker. Both will do an excellent job

#28 ·
I'm new to crossbows and trying to educate myself as much as possible. How hard is it to cock the bow back with an accudraw 50 in a stand? I will not be using a crossbow because of physical disabilities. Does the accudraw 50 making cocking any easier than a rope other than the convenience? Is it worth the extra $100 when I order it?

#29 ·
what i learned last night is thank god for the accudraw ! my bow locked up last night the arrow thing that comes down when you stick arrow it was staying in the up position . I had to let a little slack in the accudraw lock it. then hold retainer down and hold safety and pull trigger at the same time . their would of been no way with the A 50 . it would of dry fired .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.