a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56

Thread: New broadhead is toxic!!!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    978

    New broadhead is toxic!!!

    Check these out. They are made by the former owner of TrophyRidge/Rocket Chris Rager. They look wicked. They'll probably destroy a target getting sighted in, but I'm going to have to play with these.



    IMG_0115-1400x880toxic.jpgFlying_arrow_xsection-1400x880toxicfront.jpg
    TAZ Archery - Woodstock, IL
    Elite, PSE, Bear
    Easton, Scott/CBE, Vortex

    Shoot what you like.....Like what you shoot!!!


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    493

    Re: New broadhead is toxic!!!

    Brass knuckles bent around a ferule?

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    978
    6 individual curved replaceable blades.
    TAZ Archery - Woodstock, IL
    Elite, PSE, Bear
    Easton, Scott/CBE, Vortex

    Shoot what you like.....Like what you shoot!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,853
    Actually they are only three blades per head. I took a look at them at the ATA and they look well designed.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Milan, New York, United S
    Posts
    2,941
    perfect for cutting a slim jim!
    Staff shooter...PSE ...Black Eagle Pro Staff...DOINKER Stabilizers Staff Shooter...Extreme Archery Sights!....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,276
    I bet they don't do well on hard bone. I also see these doing weird things on quartering shots. It'll be interesting to find out though.
    Bear Anarchy HC
    Bear Anarchy
    Bear Motive 6
    60th Anniversary Bear Kodiak Magnum 40#

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Norway, Lillehammer
    Posts
    3,800
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntinsker View Post
    I bet they don't do well on hard bone. I also see these doing weird things on quartering shots. It'll be interesting to find out though.
    I have the same thoughts about this head as yours.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    indianapolis,in
    Posts
    7,684
    You must not like penetration, seen these at ata..thought about buying to put on the hood of my car, nuri broadheads as well
    Team Overkill... Where bloodtrails are measured by feet, not yards.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Norway, Lillehammer
    Posts
    3,800
    I rather shoot a 2 blade mech with a 4" cut than this one...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,276
    May be a good turkey head. I also would think that this would produce a lot of noise flying through the air.
    Bear Anarchy HC
    Bear Anarchy
    Bear Motive 6
    60th Anniversary Bear Kodiak Magnum 40#

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntinsker View Post
    I bet they don't do well on hard bone. I also see these doing weird things on quartering shots. It'll be interesting to find out though.
    This is why I want to get them. I'd like to test them this summer to see how they penetrate.

    Quote Originally Posted by brokenlittleman View Post
    Actually they are only three blades per head. I took a look at them at the ATA and they look well designed.
    I must have misunderstood Chris's explanation. He said the replacement blade packs were 6 per so I thought it was 2 per slot.

    Quote Originally Posted by sethro02 View Post
    You must not like penetration, seen these at ata..thought about buying to put on the hood of my car, nuri broadheads as well
    If they're sharp enough, they'll penetrate. But that is why I want to test some, to see if that much cutting surface is too much drag
    .
    Quote Originally Posted by Norwegian Woods View Post
    I rather shoot a 2 blade mech with a 4" cut than this one...
    I'd rather put a hole in an animal than a slice. I have always preferred fixed 3 and 4 blade heads. Never been a fan of 2 blade anything....fixed or mechanical.

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntinsker View Post
    May be a good turkey head. I also would think that this would produce a lot of noise flying through the air.
    Owner claims they're quiet and stable. Only testing by regular guys will tell.
    TAZ Archery - Woodstock, IL
    Elite, PSE, Bear
    Easton, Scott/CBE, Vortex

    Shoot what you like.....Like what you shoot!!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,853
    Here is a pic from the show. I will also give them a try before deciding.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    9,316
    Be sure you check your state's regs before you try these. Their blade surfaces are not all in the same plane, making them illegal here in CO and other states as well.
    "His arrow will flash like lightning." Zechariah 9:14
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30, CBE Tek Hybrid sight, QAD Ultra Rest HDX, Injexion Arrows & Blazers, QAD Exodus broadheads, TightSpot quiver, Stokerized SS1 stabilizer, Spot Hogg Wiseguy release, Zeiss Conquest HD binocs, Leica 1000R rangefinder, Kifaru Timberline 2 pack, Bark River Gunny Hunter blade, Kuiu clothing, Lowa Cevedale boots

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,853
    Ttt

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowhuntr64 View Post
    Be sure you check your state's regs before you try these. Their blade surfaces are not all in the same plane, making them illegal here in CO and other states as well.
    You mentioned that in another thread. This is what the designer said in response to that.

    Thanks everyone for your comments and questions. First off these are legal. If you take one of the blades off and set it on a flat surface, the cutting edge of the blade all touch the surface making the cutting edge on the same plane. The pictures are showing the blades having a curve, but its the picture. Your not seeing the blade at a true broadside view.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    9,316
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenlittleman View Post
    You mentioned that in another thread. This is what the designer said in response to that.

    Thanks everyone for your comments and questions. First off these are legal. If you take one of the blades off and set it on a flat surface, the cutting edge of the blade all touch the surface making the cutting edge on the same plane. The pictures are showing the blades having a curve, but its the picture. Your not seeing the blade at a true broadside view.
    Maybe I am misunderstanding something...but the blades looked curved to me, in a three dimensional way. That is what makes them illegal here in CO. Of course if you lay them flat and squish them down they will not be three dimensionally...but that's not how you shoot them.
    "His arrow will flash like lightning." Zechariah 9:14
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30, CBE Tek Hybrid sight, QAD Ultra Rest HDX, Injexion Arrows & Blazers, QAD Exodus broadheads, TightSpot quiver, Stokerized SS1 stabilizer, Spot Hogg Wiseguy release, Zeiss Conquest HD binocs, Leica 1000R rangefinder, Kifaru Timberline 2 pack, Bark River Gunny Hunter blade, Kuiu clothing, Lowa Cevedale boots

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowhuntr64 View Post
    Maybe I am misunderstanding something...but the blades looked curved to me, in a three dimensional way. That is what makes them illegal here in CO. Of course if you lay them flat and squish them down they will not be three dimensionally...but that's not how you shoot them.
    I know what you are saying just posting what the designer stated. Either way I believe the only states that would have an issue if he is not correct is Pennsylvania and Colorado.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowhuntr64 View Post
    Maybe I am misunderstanding something...but the blades looked curved to me, in a three dimensional way. That is what makes them illegal here in CO. Of course if you lay them flat and squish them down they will not be three dimensionally...but that's not how you shoot them.
    that isn't what the designer meant by lying them flat.... if you lay the blade on a flat surface cutting edge down (without flattening them) even while being rounded it will be the same plane. if you did flatten the blade it definitely wouldn't follow the same plane.

    from the pic posted above..... it's just like cutting a miter on a dowel rod only hollow.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowhuntr64 View Post
    Be sure you check your state's regs before you try these. Their blade surfaces are not all in the same plane, making them illegal here in CO and other states as well.
    Is it because the blade is curved front to back instead of straight???
    Untitled.jpg
    TAZ Archery - Woodstock, IL
    Elite, PSE, Bear
    Easton, Scott/CBE, Vortex

    Shoot what you like.....Like what you shoot!!!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    York, PA
    Posts
    1,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntinsker View Post
    May be a good turkey head. I also would think that this would produce a lot of noise flying through the air.
    I thought "turkey" as well. Too much drag for good penetration on deer and up. You need sleek and straight to get through big critters. Drag on small critters is good. Especially on ones that can fly. An arrow stuck through the shoulders of a turkey, if it doesn't kill them super-quick, will keep them from flying.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Norway, Lillehammer
    Posts
    3,800
    Quote Originally Posted by 2lunger View Post
    This is why I want to get them. I'd like to test them this summer to see how they penetrate.


    I must have misunderstood Chris's explanation. He said the replacement blade packs were 6 per so I thought it was 2 per slot.


    If they're sharp enough, they'll penetrate. But that is why I want to test some, to see if that much cutting surface is too much drag
    .

    I'd rather put a hole in an animal than a slice. I have always preferred fixed 3 and 4 blade heads. Never been a fan of 2 blade anything....fixed or mechanical.


    Owner claims they're quiet and stable. Only testing by regular guys will tell.
    I also prefer a 4 blade head, but this is not a 4 blade. It is a 6 blade with curved blades.
    This will create very much drag and encounter very much resistance in animal tissue. Specially if it hits bone.
    I don't know what the total cutting surface of this head is, but I would rather have all that cutting surface done by a 2 or 4 blade cutting wide and straight to damage animal tissue further from the broadhead center than just making a hole.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    186
    cutting surface is 4,7"
    Its all about shotplacement......

    Ben Pearson Advantage (Target)
    I don't know yet (Hunting)
    Whalens Hooker Release , AXCEL Sight, Trophy Taker S/S.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    22,745
    Quote Originally Posted by 2lunger View Post
    New broadhead is toxic!!!
    Why are they toxic, are they made of lead or arsenic or something?

    And there is no way those could ever be explained as "cutting surface in the same plane".
    2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.
    2007 LH Bowtech Commander 60#, 32" draw, Limbdriver rest, BG 5-pin Flashpoint.
    2014 LH PSE Freak SP 70#, 32" draw, not set up yet.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    33,120
    Ill pass!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by Norwegian Woods View Post
    I also prefer a 4 blade head, but this is not a 4 blade. It is a 6 blade with curved blades.
    This will create very much drag and encounter very much resistance in animal tissue. Specially if it hits bone.
    I don't know what the total cutting surface of this head is, but I would rather have all that cutting surface done by a 2 or 4 blade cutting wide and straight to damage animal tissue further from the broadhead center than just making a hole.
    I agree with everything except the 2 blade part. Like I said earlier, i'm just not a fan of 2 blades. I think the design is radical and completely "out of the box", which interests me. Do I think it will have a problem on bone....yes. That's why I want to get some to test. Inside of 30 yds. on deer, I think they'll penetrate fine, after that, I have my doubts.

    New stuff like this peaks my curiosity, and deserves to be tested before I condemn it.
    TAZ Archery - Woodstock, IL
    Elite, PSE, Bear
    Easton, Scott/CBE, Vortex

    Shoot what you like.....Like what you shoot!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •