Thread: hamskea versarest

hamskea versarest

anyone on here useing this rest? pro/cons. they look like they can take a beatin. c/s is awesome bob b.

I just bought one a couple of weeks ago. I have it set up as a blade type target rest right now but I plan on changing it over to a drop away for 3D in the spring. They appear to be built strong and the setups are very versatile. The included instructions make it simple to change the type of action you want on the rest.
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPX 70#, QAD HDX Rest, Tommy Hogg Sight, Doinker Tactical Stabilizer, GT Velocity Arrows, Slick Trick Broadheads

2013 Bowtech Insanity CPX 60#, QAD HDX Rest, Hog Father Sight, Doinker Tactical Stabilizer, GT Velocity Arrows

i have two and they are very well thought out.
    Shooting Hoyt now, dabbling with Bowtech...

Re: hamskea versarest

I have two and I'm still not a huge fan.

I hunted with one and it did fine. It's obviously high quality, solid construction and pretty quiet.

I put one on my indoor bow just for the purpose of clearing big four fletch feathers on a big helical. The only thing that clears better is the blade.... the rest of the "bridge" is a bigger/higher obstruction than any other rest presents. It's worse if you use the arrow guide on the bridge (something is needed, somewhere).

I recently took the other and put on a bow to test for 3d. It clears a lower profile vane with no issue..... as it also did on my hunting bow.

My thoughts....the bad: without micro adjust, the rest is over priced. I cant figure why anyone would run this rest as a blade when you can get better blade rests at half the price. It really needs micro. Mostly because adjustment is a pain.... especially under tension of the cord. The limb driven cord/attachment system needs improvement....as do all limb driven rests. Crushing it behind a bolt head and then inside a set screw makes it last through very few tunes.

The good: built like a tank. Very broad range of adjustments. Quality design and construction.

Here's how I replaced the cord and am much happier with the rest overall as a result....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Awesome rest used by several of the best winning pros in the industry.

Lots of good choices today and this is just one of many.

Guys at Hamskis know there stuff
    DB

Jame Jamison loves his and actually is very picky about what he uses. Got to find what works for you.

Here a video of Jame

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z...Picture390.mp4
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

It is known as the most adjustable, versatile, toughest rest on the market. I have heard from scores of people who can testify to this, and have not had the problems outlined above. I don't discount those, but I also don't completely understand some of them. You can make it limb driven from the bottom or top limbs or cable driven on the up or down cable. You can also use a bunch of different blades and sizes to guide the arrow. Like other limb driven models, it will usually guide the arrow longer than a cable driven rest and can be easily set up in the woods, without having to worry about setting the timing of the rest.

With the new Containment ring, which is similar to the TT Smackdown Pro, it is even better for hunting.
    "His arrow will flash like lightning." Zechariah 9:14
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30, CBE Tek Hybrid sight, QAD Ultra Rest HDX, Injexion Arrows & Blazers, QAD Exodus broadheads, TightSpot quiver, Stokerized SS1 stabilizer, Spot Hogg Wiseguy release, Zeiss Conquest HD binocs, Leica 1000R rangefinder, Kifaru Timberline 2 pack, Bark River Gunny Hunter blade, Kuiu clothing, Lowa Cevedale boots

The bridge is a clearance problem. I wrap the soft side sticky velcro around it to make a short arrow cradle.
    The cord does not need to be crushed with the bolt. Run it through the hole, then wrap behind that bolt you are using, and tighten it down. Cord lasts way longer than VT or AAE versions.

Quote Originally Posted by tmorelli View Post
    I have two and I'm still not a huge fan.

I hunted with one and it did fine. It's obviously high quality, solid construction and pretty quiet.

I put one on my indoor bow just for the purpose of clearing big four fletch feathers on a big helical. The only thing that clears better is the blade.... the rest of the "bridge" is a bigger/higher obstruction than any other rest presents. It's worse if you use the arrow guide on the bridge (something is needed, somewhere).

I recently took the other and put on a bow to test for 3d. It clears a lower profile vane with no issue..... as it also did on my hunting bow.

My thoughts....the bad: without micro adjust, the rest is over priced. I cant figure why anyone would run this rest as a blade when you can get better blade rests at half the price. It really needs micro. Mostly because adjustment is a pain.... especially under tension of the cord. The limb driven cord/attachment system needs improvement....as do all limb driven rests. Crushing it behind a bolt head and then inside a set screw makes it last through very few tunes.

The good: built like a tank. Very broad range of adjustments. Quality design and construction.

Here's how I replaced the cord and am much happier with the rest overall as a result....

sine labore nihil

Re: hamskea versarest

Quote Originally Posted by skynight View Post
    The bridge is a clearance problem. I wrap the soft side sticky velcro around it to make a short arrow cradle.
    The cord does not need to be crushed with the bolt. Run it through the hole, then wrap behind that bolt you are using, and tighten it down. Cord lasts way longer than VT or AAE versions.
    The cord they provide is definitely an improvement over the VT and AAE offerings.

Agreed. If you don't crimp it behind the set screw in the hole, the button head with a half wrap does a pretty good job... but still crushes the line with each adjustment and wears it out faster than I think is necessary. The little string I'm using now seems like it will last forever regardless of tunes and retunes....

I have had a total of 4 of these rests with only 1 issue witch was resolved fast, great customer service and a great rest. As others have stated the only problem i have with the design is a clearance issue at the bridge, i removed the rubber arrow holder and problem fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by LCA View Post
    I have had a total of 4 of these rests with only 1 issue witch was resolved fast, great customer service and a great rest. As others have stated the only problem i have with the design is a clearance issue at the bridge, i removed the rubber arrow holder and problem fixed.
    Even that "issue" which I haven't had, with regard to the bridge is adjustable with the use of washers under the screws to steepen the blade angle! That isn't something highlighted or in bold type in the instructions, because in most cases, the angle of the blade that the arrow rest is set from works flawlessly.
    This arrow rest's only flaw is the expense; but that isn't a flaw when you consider it will likely be the last arrow rest you'll have to purchase. You can have this arrow rest set up any way you want it to be set up.

I've tried the rest in all but one of the modes (cable glide activated), and it is easy to change over...and right back to the previous mode if you are ProActive and measure, mark, and write things down!

I especially like the larger bolts for adjustments, and see no need for any mirco-adjustments. Reason being is that once set, this rest won't move unless you decide to move it.

Money well spent for a great piece of equipment.

field14 (Tom D.)
    Just let it float and SHOOT THE SHOT! Author of: "ProActive Archery", "The Puzzled Archer", "The Puzzled Cyclist".
    -field14 (Tom D.)

Quote Originally Posted by field14 View Post
    Even that "issue" which I haven't had, with regard to the bridge is adjustable with the use of washers under the screws to steepen the blade angle! That isn't something highlighted or in bold type in the instructions, because in most cases, the angle of the blade that the arrow rest is set from works flawlessly.
    This arrow rest's only flaw is the expense; but that isn't a flaw when you consider it will likely be the last arrow rest you'll have to purchase. You can have this arrow rest set up any way you want it to be set up.

I've tried the rest in all but one of the modes (cable glide activated), and it is easy to change over...and right back to the previous mode if you are ProActive and measure, mark, and write things down!

I especially like the larger bolts for adjustments, and see no need for any mirco-adjustments. Reason being is that once set, this rest won't move unless you decide to move it.

Money well spent for a great piece of equipment.

field14 (Tom D.)
    No, that wasn't the issue i had... early models didnt have the bearing peened in securely and mine popped out. Hamskea got another rest out to me in a couple days and that was before i sent my defective one back. Oh and i have mine shimmed with all the washers supplied and it still hit.

With out a dought the best rest built. Period people can say all they want the bottom line is this you get what you pay for a rest that will last a life time.

hamskea versarest

I shoot field, 3D, indoor and also hunt. One rest does it all. This thing won't move a millimeter unless you want it to. Best all around rest on the market today!
    PantherCreekBowhunters.com

Tmorelli,

How did you attach your string to the spring on the limb? I didn't set mine up properly from the start, not great at following directions. The only thing that I need to fix is the cord.

I have two and I love them. Rock solid rests, pretty simple to adjust and made to last. I guess if I had to list some cons it would be how large the bracket is that holds the launcher arm. It makes it hard to get clearance when shooting the blade at lower angles. And even though I know it would take away from the strength of the rest, I'd still love a micro adjust version.
    Hoyt Shooting Staff, Doinker Silver Staff, Hamskea Shooting Staff, T.R.U. Ball/Axcel, Pure Perfextion Shooting Staff.

Quote Originally Posted by pronghorn View Post
    Tmorelli,

How did you attach your string to the spring on the limb? I didn't set mine up properly from the start, not great at following directions. The only thing that I need to fix is the cord.
    When you build the string, just leave the upper end loop unserved so that it's small enough that it goes down in the hook easily. I serve a short spot just to keep everything bundled in case of an issue and if you want, it can be slid up to the hook after it's installed. I then shrink tube it on the hook like the factory knot is done. Again, it's just insurance. While experimenting, I ran an open loop there and it never tried to come loose.

The end loop at the rest allows me to undo it for quick adjustments without adding wear each time. I can twist/untwist the string for length adjustment if I move the rest up/down, etc....

I really like my versa rest. It is tough and works really well. I had great customer service too.

If I needed to come up with a flaw because someone was holding a gun to my head - here it is. The launcher screws came loose after about 2,000 shots, even after I assured they were tight when I installed the rest, . I used some blue loctite to makes sure they did not come loose again. Then I needed to replace the felt on the launcher, with the blue loctite holding the screw I stripped the allan head on the screw. I dropped Hamskea a email and a few days later I had free replacement screws!

I had read on AT that someone else had an issue with the laucher screws coming loose.

Love the rest and only came up with the complaint because I thought it might be good for others to know that it might happen.
    Carbon Spyder Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by tmorelli View Post
    When you build the string, just leave the upper end loop unserved so that it's small enough that it goes down in the hook easily. I serve a short spot just to keep everything bundled in case of an issue and if you want, it can be slid up to the hook after it's installed. I then shrink tube it on the hook like the factory knot is done. Again, it's just insurance. While experimenting, I ran an open loop there and it never tried to come loose.

The end loop at the rest allows me to undo it for quick adjustments without adding wear each time. I can twist/untwist the string for length adjustment if I move the rest up/down, etc....

Thank you very much!