Archery Talk Forum banner

2013 Bear Encounter Review

69K views 103 replies 43 participants last post by  MI1 
#1 ·
I got a 2013 Bear Encounter RTH package this Christmas, and here is my review on it. The bow is set at 29 1/2" draw, 70#, and is shooting Easton xx75 2317's cut at 30" with a 125 grain tip.

The Bow shoots pretty quiet, isnt very heavy, is pretty consistant, and is a good size for moving back and forth in a treestand. I am very happy with it. The arrows i was shooting when i first got it were Carbon express speed freaks (cheap from walmart) with a 100 grain F-15 fixed blade broadhead. It shoots both the Heavy Aluminum arrows and the light carbon very well. I shot a doe on the 31st at 20 yards with a complete pass through; my first bow kill ever. I am overall very happy with my purchase of the Bear Encounter, but there are also a few things i am not totally satisfied with.
First, the allen screws for the sights' up/down and left/right adjustments were not included in the bow package, and are also not on the standard Allen Bow tool i have. i had to find one laying around my Dad's shop. That is just an inconvinience, but a little annoying.
Second, The whisker biscuit pulls at the full sized vanes on the larger aluminum arrows peeling them backward. They shot the carbon arrow's blazer vanes just fine, but it would have been helpful to know before hand that particualr biscuit was designed for carbon arrows only.
Third, whenever i bought the bow the only thing that was setup correctly was the nock loop. The sight was way to the side, the biscuit was canted up, the peep was really low, etc. The pro shop i bought this from seemed to be under the impression that it was already setup and tuned properly, coming from the factory this way, so they didnt check anything or correct it. This may have been fully the Shop's mistake, it may have been an advertisement miscommunication making shops believe it is entirely ready to go, or it may have been setup wrong in the factory. Either way i had to look up and learn how to tune it myself (which wasnt very hard, but it still made me seem like an idiot for shooting it as long as i did without realizing... )
fourth, the quiver. I love the design, its very compact and it works great. two issues though: First, with multiple shots the locking lever will loosen causing the quiver to shake or rattle. If you hunt with this quiver attached to your bow, it may cause a sound issue. I take mine off in the stand to shoot, so its not neccessarily a big deal for me, but that is one thing i noticed. Second, the arrow holders do not fit my aluminum arrows, they are too small. The two outside arrows get pushed out and wobble loosely. For the Speed Freaks it worked fine.

So overall, the bow is great for hunting purposes. Its fast, quiet, compact, accurate, and best of all affordable. Some of the accessories that come on the RTH package arent quite as satisfying though. Im going to be changing out the whisker biscuit for a drop away rest (a QAD ultra rest hd, ripe cord code red, or a trophy ridge revolution), ill be changing the quiver to a 6 arrow quiver (probably the g5 outdoors Head-Loc Rtap quiver if it holds aluminums better), and i may change the sight. I havent entirely decided on that yet because the sight on it works fine, but we'll see. If you shoot Carbon arrows, everything on the RTH packasge will work perfectly, but not quite so for the larger diameter aluminums. If you want a good entry level bow for hunting and just getting started this is definitely a good bow to look at. If you want high performance out of this bow, get the bow "plain" and accessorize accordingly, but if your looking at a cheap and easy hunting bow the RTH is the way to go. I would give this bow and package a 8 out of 10. could be better, but im happy.

have fun, shoot straight, and bag ya a big one.
Alex

See less See more
#3 ·
I borrowed my friends Bear encounte RTH 70# bow. I think the shop you went to really did you wrong by not helping you more with the setup and I wouldn't blame it on the package at all.

The allen bolts should be included and my bow multitune tool worked just fine on this bow to move the pins around.

This is an astoundingly great bow for the price. The whisker biscuit included is the quick shot I believe which I think is actually a great rest for hunting...it sounds like your aluminum arrows are actually too big for the rest, if there is not some light between your arrow and the whiskers on the top then you would need to buy the large whisker biscuit. My friends biscuit worked great and I was shooting nice groups @ 30 yards my first day ever shooting left handed.

I wouldn't buy the package now that I know more about bows. The sight is plastic and that just won't hold up hunting...it's great to get started and learn what you're doing until next hunting season though :)

#5 ·
I sell one of these bows every week. When I receive one, I set the rest square, put in a tube peep, check the timing and the draw length on the draw board, move the sight to the back holes so it's easier to adjust the windage and elevation then rough it in on target a shot or two. We charge a few dollars more for our package but the setup and slight changes we make help our customers in the long run. Excellent shooting bows! Very quiet, respectable speed and a great package for the money. In my opinion the best out there.

#6 ·
I just upgraded the whisker biscuit to a Trophy Ridge Revolution Arrow rest. The tech who put it on at Cabela's really didn't want to put it on and kept trying to sell me on a QAD. Sadly, I just don't have the money to invest that much into one component. I'm going to get a Bohning Lynx 6 arrow quiver soon for it. He also told me my arrows were rather large. They measured in at 617 grains. Lol. I'll be trying to find some cheaper, lighter arrows that I think will still give me the k.e. and momentum for great penetration very soon. But I'm very happy with the bow, it's very quiet (now the biscuit isn't scraping against my arrows every shot) and very consistent. I never needed a speed bow, so I like how it's fast enough to shoot those longer distances but not so fast you can't see where you hit the animal. I haven't really given the sight being plastic much thought. How would that not hold up hunting? Would it become brittle or is it just that plastic is weaker and will break if struck against a tree or something?

#8 ·
I have been shopping for a new bow. Really wanted to test the waters as it were. I tried the Bear Encounter first, and then this past weekend the Hunting Time Expo was in town, so I was able to try out ALOT of bows. I keep coming back to the Encounter. After reading this review, and various others, I think this is the bow for me. My plan is to get it bare bones. I know what rest, sight, etc. that I want. I will update as soon as I get it, and all set up.
Thanks for the review!

PS. What does everyone think about the narrow grip? I am upgrading from an older Bear Whitetail Hunter, so I am used to the HUGE grip on that one.

Thanks for feedback!

#9 ·
I have never had a bow with a huge grip, so I wouldn't know much of a difference. But I feel very comfortable holding the bow, shooting, etc. it feels very balanced and isn't hard to correct for torque. I like it.

#10 ·
I have the 2012 version of this bow and I as well think it is one of the best bows for the money! I have trouble finding a bow that fits me, I am 6'7" with a 32" draw so this fit perfect and I didnt have to spend $1k+ for a name on the bow. I was having trouble with the stock peep sight as well so I replaced with a tubed peep and it makes a huge difference. I want to take it to the range and get it chrono so I can see what its shooting for fps, just curious.

#11 ·
How are the Easton Bloodline's shooting through yours? I was actually just about to go but some with 150 grain Woodsman Elite's to tip it off...

#12 ·
I think it is hard to beat them for the money imo. I have the 330 spine because of my 32" draw and they are rock solid. I have robin hooded one alreadys and am shooting less than 2" groups at 20yds and have only been shooting archery since the beginning of January. Here are a couple of my groups, I am still in the process of fine tuning my sights so dont mind the center of the target but the groups are tight! The yellow circle and the black circle are 3".
Recreation
Bow and arrow Archery Compound bow Field archery Target archery
Outerwear Textile Pattern T-shirt Metal
Shadow Water Asphalt Reflection Black-and-white

#14 ·
IMHO almost all bows these days unless made with plastic parts are good quality and can shoot very well. I can shoot 3" groups with my wifes PSE MicroBurner that is a 27" DL and cost $120 new! Price doesn't have everything to do with quality, I didnt buy my bow for the name but more because it fit me well, was lightweight, was made with quality/name brand parts and is super smooth! Oh yea and it shoots great groups! I do like the fact that I can buy 3 of them for the price of a stripped Mathews.

#15 ·
I have one that I got for cheap at the Bargain Cave in Cabelas. 2013 model rth package for like 275.00. I think it shoots great. I will enjoy shooting plenty of deer with my bow that cost just over a hundred bucks (cost minus accessories) as opposed to a bow that retails 999.00.

#18 ·
That is a steal for that bow, I got my as a gift for Christmas so I got mine cheap too but what a deal! Retail for the RTH is $399.

#17 ·
Did you get the RTH package or are you going to add your own accessories to it?

#20 ·
Very forgiving bow!

Just got my start in archery this year with this bow. So glad my shop was out of the PSE Stingers. Got the 60# encounter and couldn't be happier. Pretty sure this group was my third time shooting at 20 meters. All I changed from the package was adding a 8" NAP Apache stabilizer. Will probably upgrade my arrows next.

Target archery Archery Shooting sport Recreation Electronics

#21 ·
Great shooting, I have been also have been shooting since the beginning of the year and have been gettign the same results as you with my Encounter. I can't say enough good things about this bow.
Darts Recreation Games Spiral Indoor games and sports
Games Darts Recreation Spiral Indoor games and sports

#22 ·
I bought some of those Easton Bloodline 330's two days ago, and here is my target at 20 yards. Flute Musical instrument Bansuri Drum stick Musical instrument accessory

30 yards.....

Iron Wood Metal Table Roof

I love it. I do have a problem already though. I got a meta peep and my installer told me my string is starting to break. 2 strands gone and the rest could go any shot. I've shot it ALOT so I don't think it's a quality issue, plus I'm hard on equipment. I'll be getting a new string very soon, I don't want to get slapped in the face by a 3rd bow.....

--Alex

#28 ·
I bought some of those Easton Bloodline 330's two days ago, and here is my target at 20 yards. View attachment 1588766

View attachment 1588767

30 yards.....

View attachment 1588768

I love it. I do have a problem already though. I got a meta peep and my installer told me my string is starting to break. 2 strands gone and the rest could go any shot. I've shot it ALOT so I don't think it's a quality issue, plus I'm hard on equipment. I'll be getting a new string very soon, I don't want to get slapped in the face by a 3rd bow.....

--Alex
Good shooting. Did you notice that the string was fraying before he changed the peep. I would hate to think that he nicked a few strands while swapping peeps and didn't own up to it.

#25 ·
Finally got to the range to sight in my bow and had some good results. I need to practice out past 30 yards but here are a couple pics of my groups at 20 and 30. My left arm strength is not so great so after I shoot 3 or 4 sets, I start to become unstable. Here is my last set of the day at 20 and my third set at 30 after getting my pin set. Not to bad for the first time shooting past 20 yards. This is a great bow to get into the sport as well as keep for many years. I still can't believe how quiet this bow is!
Art Illustration Crow Bird Modern art
Street art Deer Art Wall Tree

#26 ·
That is some nice shooting. Debating on getting a different sight. I can't achieve ring in ring with the stock sight and peep. Thoughts?

#32 ·
I think my peep sight is right where I want it, I am not sure if I have room to mover it without becoming uncomfortable. I am not sure where my first pin is, I will have to look. Thanks for the advice but I think I will keep everything where it is for now and when I get a new string do some adjusting. My groups are good and I am comfortable shooting my bow as it is. Also I hunt in MA so anything over 40 yards unless in a field is unlikely.

#33 ·
Really can't say enough about this bow. Replaced the package stabilizer and now the sight. Got my first, and hopefully last, Robin Hood today. Don't know if that is because of the equipment change or the two and half months of shooting or a combination of both. Makes me feel a little guilty about buying a Hoyt Charger earlier this week.

Target archery Field archery Archery Recreation Arrow

#34 ·
If you are shooting like that, why did you buy another bow lol?

#36 ·
I just started shooting this year and bought the Encounter. Thought I shot right handed since I am right handed. Turns out I am left eye dominant. It has been the opinion of everybody I have asked so far that I will have much better accuracy shooting left handed, especially if I decide to shoot 3D. Thus the reason I bought another bow.

#35 ·
Has anyone put the Encounter through a chrono? I am just curious what a real speed expectation should be. I like the price of this bow. My bow now is 10 years old and has a really long a-2-a. I don't bow hunt much anymore and I want something shorter and a fuzz faster than what I have been shooting. I know this bow isn't going to shoot amazing speeds, just curious what everyone is getting. That will help me pick the shafts I want to shoot. Thanks.

#42 ·
I'm shooting the Cx Maxima blue streaks at 29" and a 125 head that puts me in the neighborhood of 410 grains. With that and my bow at 70 I'm getting 273 fps.

I upgraded everything from the package already except the stabilizer, and that's coming very soon. Lol. React sight works AMAZING! I was having a little trouble at 40 yards with the 3 pin sight, now I shooting 4" groups at that distance and 6-8" at 60 yards. Those are with my broadheads too, not field points. Not entirely comfortable past 50 for hunting yet but by deer season I'll be picking the hairs I want to cut.... ;-)

--Alex

#37 ·
I don't have the Encounter, but I do have the Charge which specs is identical to the Encounter except it has a tad slower IBO rating (305fps as compared to 310fps for the Encounter). Shooting a 350gr. arrow at 60lb DW and 28"DL, I was getting 245fps through the chrono. Out of curiosity, I shot the same arrow and same draw weight, but at 29"DL and I was getting 255-256fps.

#38 ·
I too am curious to see the chrono speed but none of my local bow shops have one setup to use. If you are seeing those speeds at 60lb I can't wait to see what I am shooting at 32" DL!

I did make it to the indoor range yesterday and put out some pretty good groups I thought and this was after shooting Saturday too.

Shot 3 sets of 5 at 20 yds here:
Metal Drawing
Wall Ski Ski Equipment

Then shot 3 sets at 15 yds here:
Musical instrument Plucked string instruments

Then finished with a set at 20 yds:
Wall Tableware Metal

I am working on building my strength to shoot more so this last set was 45 mins later and my left arm was tired.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.