Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How far of a shot is still an ethical shot with a compound bow?

How far of a shot is still an ethical shot with a compound bow?

How far do you think you can shoot an animal ethically? 30yds? 50yds? 100yds?

www.team-radical.com

Family Not By Blood, But By Tradition!

Whatever shot you can make EVERY time... or ...you know what I mean. If you were out with the guys and would bet 500 bucks you can make it..or what ever you price threshold is.... there should be some pain if you miss. I like the popcorn too...this will be of those threads. I use the double rule here... If I am comfortably hunting out to 40...then practice out to 80 yards.
    Bowtech INVASION "BLACK OPS"
    Archer Extreme AXT Driver
    CE BlueStreak 350s
    Rapids Archery Club
    Pope and Young Club... "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then..."

It depends completely on the shooter, his equipment, the animal and the situation. For example, for a shooter that doesn't pick up his bow until a month before the season and never shoots past 30 yards with his light poundage equipment shooting at an alert whitetail in a 20 mph wind at 30 yards might be unethical while Levi taking some of the shots he puts on his show isn't.

Whatever is in your comfort zone.Only the hunter knows that.I promise there is more bad shots inside 30 than outside...Just because there are more shots taken within that range.Just because someone hasn't practiced or is capable of longer shots.Shouldn't give them the right to question someone that spends the time and practices making long range shots.

No ethics allowed on AT shoot as far as you want.

Ethics are overrated....cut it loose!

Besides, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

I shoot and practice out to 100 but really will only take game from 0-70 unless the situation was absolutely perfect, I might consider 80-100
    >>-----------> OT7 CUSTOM BOW TUNING <-----------<<
    GIVING YOU TRUE ARROW FLIGHT WITH GUARANTEED RESULTS
    www.facebook.com/OnTarget7Shane
    970-301-0706

Quote Originally Posted by chuckatuk View Post
    Whatever is in your comfort zone.Only the hunter knows that.I promise there is more bad shots inside 30 than outside...Just because there are more shots taken within that range.Just because someone hasn't practiced or is capable of longer shots.Shouldn't give them the right to question someone that spends the time and practices making long range shots.
    Chuck I agree 100% Should be up to the shooter and his comfort zone!
    www.team-radical.com

Family Not By Blood, But By Tradition!

Regardless of the skill level of the shooter, the major factor in a hunting scenario is that you are launching an arrow at a live animal that can move or react to some aspect of the shot. What could have or should have been a 12 ringer on a 3-D target can easily turn into a gut shot or rump shot or head shot if the animal drops, twists or turns while the arrow is in flight. While some will contend that animals can react at close range as well as long range, many of us who have hunted for a while tend to prefer a chip shot over a hail Mary. Just because a modern bow will launch arrows past 100 yards in a relatively flat arc doesn't mean a bowhunter with a host of variables at hand is competent or wise in doing so..........
    "Reality is always your friend. The reason is almost a truism.......everything else is a fantasy." ~ Dr. Henry Cloud

Not everyone has the same ethics !!
    Custom powder coating for my AT friends Cerakote coating for my AT friends
    Bowtech RPM 360 Lightning Fast Easton HEXX 330's
    HOGG FATHER W/ Classic archery scope 4x lens
    Vaportrail Micro elite LD, Carbofast 24" Front 12" Back, Tony219er Custom threads !!!!

As far away as you can put it in the vitals and have enough energy to get the job done. It might be 15 yards for most of the bowhunters I know, and may be 100 yards for the best. Just put a clean kill shot on a relaxed animal and it's dead.
    Sent via my 1918 Bell hand crank phone

This topic will be argued until the end of time. While 30 might be pushing the limit for some here on AT and yet others can make the shot out to 50, 60 or 70 with ease. Just ask around and those who are honest can't deny the longer the shot is, the higher percentage of lost game. Some say that they live out west where shots of 50 and 60 yards are common but that doesn't make them ethical shots. Like said before, you should be willing to bet say 500 bucks you can make the shot and even then it does not take into account an animal might take a step and bingo, your killing double lung shot quickly turns into a gut shot and usually a lost animal.
    Team PSE, PSE Militia, DS Advantage sight Team FeatherVision

Quote Originally Posted by ontarget7 View Post
    I shoot and practice out to 100 but really will only take game from 0-70 unless the situation was absolutely perfect, I might consider 80-100
    I will admit I have one animal I could not find and the shot was at 50 yards
    >>-----------> OT7 CUSTOM BOW TUNING <-----------<<
    GIVING YOU TRUE ARROW FLIGHT WITH GUARANTEED RESULTS
    www.facebook.com/OnTarget7Shane
    970-301-0706

The longer the shot the less chance the animal will still be there when the arrow gets there. Animals are not paper targets, just about anyone can hit a basketball at 100 yards but animals move.

If everything were perfect (wind, clarity of view, calmness of animal, calmness of me, etc) I would take a shot out to 80 yards, no question. I practice that regularly and would have no ethical dilemma in taking or making that shot.
    "His arrow will flash like lightning." Zechariah 9:14
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30, CBE Tek Hybrid sight, QAD Ultra Rest HDX, Injexion Arrows & Blazers, QAD Exodus broadheads, TightSpot quiver, Stokerized SS1 stabilizer, Spot Hogg Wiseguy release, Zeiss Conquest HD binocs, Leica 1000R rangefinder, Kifaru Timberline 2 pack, Bark River Gunny Hunter blade, Kuiu clothing, Lowa Cevedale boots

1,000,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by MYMAXXIS View Post
    Whatever shot you can make EVERY time... or ...you know what I mean. If you were out with the guys and would bet 500 bucks you can make it..or what ever you price threshold is.... there should be some pain if you miss. I like the popcorn too...this will be of those threads. I use the double rule here... If I am comfortably hunting out to 40...then practice out to 80 yards.
    Couldn't have said it any better! We will shoot 80-100 yds for fun and that makes a forty yard target seem awful close.

SCFox

35 is my personal max if the animal is calm. If he's spooky I don't shoot over 25.
    Elite Energy 35 Blackou

For me 30 yards thats my comfort range for a animal, paper or target 60 yards

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoasthunter View Post
    1,000,000 miles
    Good answer...about as useful as all our other answers
    "His arrow will flash like lightning." Zechariah 9:14
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30, CBE Tek Hybrid sight, QAD Ultra Rest HDX, Injexion Arrows & Blazers, QAD Exodus broadheads, TightSpot quiver, Stokerized SS1 stabilizer, Spot Hogg Wiseguy release, Zeiss Conquest HD binocs, Leica 1000R rangefinder, Kifaru Timberline 2 pack, Bark River Gunny Hunter blade, Kuiu clothing, Lowa Cevedale boots

It all depends on your ability to make the shot. You are the only one that can answer your question...nobody else.
    *PSE Matt Forest Green "Dominator Pro 3D Max" for Outdoor 3D. (AKA: BOOGER) *PSE Matt Forest Green "REVO" for hunting. (AKA: YOGURT) ...........................May Da Schwartz Be With You!!!

Totally dependent on the shooter, their ability and the situation. Randy Ulmers effective range is a lot longer than mine. I think its safe to say that a lot of guys shouldn't be shooting at the distances they are, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Team-Radical View Post
    How far do you think you can shoot an animal ethically? 30yds? 50yds? 100yds?
    it depends on where you are hunting. i hardly ever shoot past 30 yards mostly 20 yards but, once an a while i killed deer at 50,40, - 50 is farthest i have killed deer. but, i only hunt in woods. if i was out west look out ! i would have clear shots sometimes and i can shoot 60-70 pie plate size groups whether i would shoot that far i will never know

It most certainly depends on the shooter, his abilities, his equipment, the shot placement offered, and the terrain.

I have increased my maximum distance to 40 yards. But everything must be right or I won't take the shot.

The farther the distance, the more time an animal has to react, or just move a little. That, in turn, can make the difference between bringing home the meat, or being out a long time looking.

My average shot distance is less than 20 yards.

Skeet.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

Every time you win an argument on Archerytalk you still lose because invetibly you're gonna tick off someone else.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast