Thread: Olympic Recurve setup recommendation

Olympic Recurve setup recommendation

I would appreciate any thoughts/recommendations for an olympic recurve setup.

After 20 years away from the sport, I started shooting again a couple of years ago. My current bow is a Hoyt Contender Elite compound and I would like to get back into recurve shooting as well. Unfortunately, there is not much opportunity for me to try out bows where I live, and local archery shops don't really carry olympic recurve bows, so I'd like to at least get some input from other shooters. I'd love to try before I buy, but that's not really feasible.

I'm 5'11" tall, and my draw length is 29"

I'm currently looking at getting a Hoyt Formula RX riser and Hoyt Formula Carbon 720 limbs.

My biggest question right now is whether to go with a 25" or 27" riser, and whether to go with short, medium, or long limbs? What combination thereof?

Any help would be great, especially if you're of similar height and draw length! Thanks!

I'm the exact same height and DL and went with the 25" riser with long limbs giving you a 70" bow.

Hi, With your DL at 29" (maybe will be longer on an olympic recurve) You should get as 25" riser and medium or long limbs.
    Regards
    Norman
    Win & Win Sebastian flute Forged Plus 25" riser and Premium SF Carbon Limbs(Mediums)) #24
    Shibuya Dual Click Sight, SF Axiom stabilizer and side bars, Shibuya DX Plunger and SF magnetic rest. Cavalier Elite Tab. Carbon Express Medallion XR 1000 spine
    Cartel Bow Stand and Cartel Midas Hybrid recurve case. Bohning Quiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman2 View Post
    Hi, With your DL at 29" (maybe will be longer on an olympic recurve) You should get as 25" riser and medium or long limbs.
    Regards
    Norman
    It is fashionable to use the 27 inch riser with medium limbs to get a little extra speed and a longer sight window, as compared with the 25 inch riser and long limbs. Either will work for you unless you plan on shooting light arrows at short distances (field archery) in which case you'll need the longer sight window provided by the 27 inch riser.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Here's some additional questions--

Does the height of the riser affect the draw weight? So for example, would limbs that draw at 35# at 28" on a 25" riser still draw at 35#, 28" on a 27" riser?

Stacking--Do longer or short limbs tend to stack at a higher rate past the rated draw length (28" I'm assuming)?

Stacking 2--Will the height of the riser have an affect on stacking, assuming the same limbs are used?

I'm not sure where this interest in longer and longer bows came from, but ever since Bernardini released their 27" Luxor and created the opportunity to have conventional 72" bows (and then W&W and Hoyt followed suit) - all the sudden we all need longer bows...

Look, I have probably the longest draw length in the competitive fita recurve field at 32.5". And I've comfortably shot 70" bows for many years now, only going to 72" bows for 3 of the 10 years I've been competing. Heck, my hunting recurves are only 62" and 64" long!

Unless a person is truly an ape, there really is no need for a 27" riser, unless a company pulls a fast one and changes the geometry, reducing the deflex, in which case the limbs will stack sooner and you may need a longer bow. But then, the longer bow will be a little slower, so you've already lost some of the performance you "gained" by shooting a bow with less deflex anyway...

There is no free lunch in physics.

For 99.9% of archers, those with a draw length up to 26" can comfortably shoot 64" bows. Those drawing up to 28" can comfortably shoot 66" bows. Those up to 30" can easily shoot 68" bows, and apes like me can still use 70" bows...

Stop the madness!

John
    Renegade Archer

.....i've heard a lot of good things about the formula bows but their limited available options of replacement limbs vs the ILF bows still bother me..

as far as any performance advantage is concerned i'm also not convinced there is any...

....but that's just me...
    two x-factor(25") set-ups with sure-loc supreme/ quest-x /hoyt super rest,cavalier champion II rest,beiter plunger and clicker, soma cex2 29" rod, doinker chubby backweight,fomax damper,jager grips....70" 26# samick athlete limbs..68" 34# border HEX5-H mk2 limbs..32# 68" border CXG limbs...mckinney II 725 arrows...PLUS spigarelli explorer II barebow riser..