Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to Upgrade from my Switchback to a new Mathews need suggestions

Wanting to Upgrade from my Switchback to a new Mathews need suggestions

I have a Mathews Switchback and want to upgrade for the 2013 season. I am not a total speed freak, and I want a forgiving smooth bow. Can any Mathews experts give me their opinion on which Mathews to look into.

I have owned every bow since the SBXT. I would get a helim very smooth bow. I don't care for the creed the draw is harsh in my book. I love my helim.
    Life is like a coin. You can spend it any way you wish, but you only spend it once

I just did this also this year , had a 05 switchback and sold and bought the helim , glad i did . I also shot the creed at the time gotta agree its a little harsh on the draw .But your the one who needs to shoot and see for yourelf .

You probably should stick with the bow you have.

For what is available right now in a Mathews for you, the smoothest will be the ZXT.

Don't do it!! Or do it if ya want. There is only one bow I wish I still had and its the one your talking about upgrading from. That being said I have not shot the newest Mathews line. Currently shooting a Bear Anarchy and loving it. But a switchback at the right price would follow me home.....

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Mike. I still have my Switchback XT, and have Z7, Z7 Extrem, helim and shot the Creed you have the best and the smoothest there is. Before u get another bow go buy it and keep the SB for a while before u get rid of it, you will see what I am talking about, I would get rid of every bow I have except the SB,........Thanks Mark

Quote Originally Posted by straightedge123 View Post
    You probably should stick with the bow you have.

For what is available right now in a Mathews for you, the smoothest will be the ZXT.
    Agree ^
    Mathews ZXT 28" 70 / 400gr @ 280 fps 70ft-lbs KE
    60x black / flo green string & cable
    HHA slider / limbdriver
    Axion 4" / Ktech ksb1
    Redhead blackout / Rage

I agree, buying a newer Mathews is not necessarily an upgrade from the Switchback.

The only ones I liked better were the Dren and Dren LD, I'd take a used Switchback over any of their new "hunting" bows in the last four years.
    Thought they were taking a turn for the good with the Helim cam (even though I hated the platform), but they went backwards again this year.

I'd invest in a new set of quality strings, a good tune, and treat yourself to a new sight or rest. Save the rest of the money.

Another lineup to look at for smooth (like the old Mathews) and forgiving is Elite. They are really filling the smooth niche that Mathews abandoned (they added some speed and wall)

You have received some solid advice here. There is no way I would give up at least five hundred dollars and four inches of very beneficial axle to axle length for what little useful speed you would gain by making the trade you are contemplating. The Switchback is as good as any bow Mathews has ever made. Possibly the best they have ever made.
    For me, the most exhilarating moment in all of sports is when I come to full draw on a whitetail.

keep that switchback, it is a very nice bow.
    Lefty Mathews Mr7, Z7, Switchback XT, Reezen 6.5
    Perry's no peep
    Gold Tip Pro hunter 5575 with FOBs
    Muzzy 90's

The only bow I like better than the Switchback is the Prestige. If you are short to mid draw length it would work for you.

Somehow I knew I wouldn't be the only one.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like my switchback too. When I bought my switchback I shot a regular switchback and a XT and ended up going with the regular switchback. Last year I shot the Z7, Z7 extreme and Z7 magnum. My favorite of all of these was the magnum. It was a little more harsh but it really surprised me. I could shoot this bow for sure. At least give the Z7 line a try.
    Right now I'm considering a C3 or C4 for a target bow.
    Mathews Switchback, Ripcord code red, HHA OL-5519, B-Stinger stabilizer, TorqueLess custom grip, Carter Insatiable 3, easton flatline 400's
    Mathews Conquest 3, Torqueless grip, smooth stability stabilizer, Trophy Taker lizard tongue rest, Davis target sight, easton fatboy 400's
    Oregon Deschutes (sold)

I just bought a Switchback after selling my old one and shooting other bows for a few years. Robin Hooded several arrows right off the bat. I'm never selling this one . . probably be buried with it, too! Lol!
    Mathews Switchback XT and Switchback S2
    HHA Optimizer DS 5500 and OL 5019
    Ripcord Code Red Arrow rests
    Torqueless Grips
    NASP Instructor

Re: Wanting to Upgrade from my Switchback to a new Mathews need suggestions

Buy a new bow if you want but Dont get rid of the sb, you 'll most likely regret it if you do.
    If you fight fire with fire, all you do is burn your fingers too

I agree, i will not sell my switchback. Own switchback ,extreme, and helium. The extreme is my second favorite. Dont get me wrong, the helium is a great shooter, but like my switchback, and extreme better on smooth drawing. IF you do get a new bow keep the swictback. Especially that you wont get much for it, sad since it a great bow.

If you aren't worried about speed like you said, smooth and forgiving , EZ7 .......... Butter man , IMO the EZ7 is the more modern version of the SBXT.

Whatever you do, don't get rid of the switchback. Keep it as your backup at the least. Your best decision is to get yourself a matthews conquest target bow and shoot it all year round for general shooting and 3d and then just hunt with your switchback. Getting another hunting bow will just be another hunting bow that just needs to hit a ribcage at 20 yds and the new bows don't necessariily do that any better than the old switchback.

I just sold my switchback last fall it was a good bow.But it was a slug accurate but slow.I have shifted to more resent technoligy than single cams they are getting to harsh to draw trying to keep up they have jumped the shark.I have shot a lot of bows if I was in the market for a hunting bow I would buy a pse Hammer just a nice shooting bow with a smooth draw and surprising speed. The 20 year old sigle cam has been caught and passed.The switchback is a bow of the last decade.PSE,Hoyt, Bowtech,and other bow companys.Have marched on in the bow world I was a dedicated Mathews man for 13 years.There bows are dependable and I still hunt with one as a back up bow.Free you self and go see and shoot some NEW bows you will be surprised at what is out there in today economy for you money.

I shoot a SBXT and my son shoots the S2. I just bought the new ZXT. Kept my SBXT though. While the Z was the best of the new Mathews the SBXT is still the better bow. Don't listen to the garbage on speed. Anyone trying to convince you that you should buy a new bow because you Switchy is a slug really knows nothing about archery. The only advantage that the new bows have are speed, if you really consider speed an advantage. There are so many more important attributes in a bow than speed. Speed is just an advertising gimick to get fools to buy a new bow every year. Thats why companies advertise their speeds above what they really are. Then our experts on AT buy in hook line and sinker.

Get a new bow but keeps yours. Mathews has never built a better bow than the Switchbacks. I used to buy a new bow every year until I purchased my SBXT in 06. Finally got another bow in 2013. And guess what, they still are not better.

Completely agree, I got caught up in the speed and got an XLR8 at a really good deal, but am debating selling my switchback xt.

Sold an S2 which was the best bow i'd ever owned or shot, regretted the heck out of it. After trying multiple bows including a Helim i purchsed a EZ7 which felt the closest to the S2. I'm a little bit more accurate with it. It's rated at 321 which it will come nowhere near but that's fine with me. Helim felt good at 50-60 lbs so make sure to shoot one. I chose the EZ due to the added wt and longer ATA. Haven't shot any of the new Mathews. A lot of nice bows out now from most companies.

If your going to buy a new Mathews, try the Helim. It's by far the most accurate Mathews I've ever shot. I love mine.
    Bowtech Experience 30" 64# Black Ops
    Mathews Heli M 30" 65#
    Genesis 27:3

I still own my old SB I never shoot it anymore it fact it's kind of what I call permanent loan to a friend but a great bow none the less. I'm a Hoyt guy but that said I actually like the Mathews Chill this year not a fan of the backwall but I liked everything else about the bow. I also like the Creed more than last years Helium.
    "CRACKERIZED"
    CARTER'S ARCHERY
    (816) 232-2577
    www.cartersarchery.net

dont limit yourself to just one bow company
    Xpedition Xplorer 65# 28.5" 346Grain Easton Flatlines 290fps Rage Titaniums
    All things are possible to him who believes. Mark 9:23

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast