Thread: Need Your Input - Opening Archery Shop in Collin Co. TX

Need Your Input - Opening Archery Shop in Collin Co. TX

We are opening a small archery shop here in Princeton, TX. I would like to get some feedback on the best way to get the word out, what you like or dislike about the general pro shop, etc.. We have a FB page up but I'm confident that is not enough. Obviously word of mouth is the best but what is runner up? A grand opening, ads in papers, fliers at places like Cabela's......?

As a builder for 15 years I have learned that when it comes to service or selling the invisible, the single most important thing is to LISTEN to your customer. We have all had experience with those who are self proclaimed experts, and it is never much fun. We may be confident in our bow knowledge, but we DO NOT have it ALL figured out. We want to be different.... So that is why I am here asking for your wisdom and experience.
    Any input is appreciated.

Blessings
    Last edited by hitman846; January 28th, 2013 at 08:58 PM. Reason: non sponsor
    Dealers of Obsession, Xpedition, New Breed & Stevens bows. CollinCountyArchery.com Facebook

The key is to get the word out to locals. Market at shoots in your area... leagues, weekend 3-D, etc.
    PSE National Field Staff
    Factory Staff: Doinker stabilizers, STANislawski releases
    2013 PSE Supra Max
    Easton A/C Pro Field and FatBoy Arrows

Could you clarify "Market? Set up a booth? Take Demo bows? Wear a t-shirt and pass out cards? Just curious what might have the most impact.
    Dealers of Obsession, Xpedition, New Breed & Stevens bows. CollinCountyArchery.com Facebook

I think everything you mentioned would be a good place to start.Flyers at the outdoor stores nearby.If theres a county newspaper maybe putting in an insert would be good as well.If you could go to some 3d shoots and some indoor shoots with a booth like previously mentioned thats always a great way to talk to people so they can gauge you as well.Have a couple bows there maybe even do a drawing where they win a bow for a grand opening or a prize at a show would be good as well not to mention if you make them put their contact info on the drawing forms you can send them flyers and info about your store after that.just some thoughts.
    Elite Gt500 with a Code red rest and Trophy taker V5 sight

no problem asking people what they like and dont like about shops, but asking about the best way to get the word out is kinda silly, if you dont know how to get the word out then prolly shouldnt even try and open it up, dont think cableas is gonna let you put up fliers for your new shop to take business away from them also LOL does that make any sense that a competing business would let you take business from them willingly??? no competetor will help you get word out about another business thats in competition
    Hoyt Vector35 - QAD - Spot-Hogg - Doinker - Easton - FOB's
    Hoyt Dorado 50# - FMJ's
    T.R.U. Ball www.truball.com FOB's www.Starrflight.com Doinker www.doinker.com
    "If you dont stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!"

Quote Originally Posted by dwagoner View Post
    no problem asking people what they like and dont like about shops, but asking about the best way to get the word out is kinda silly, if you dont know how to get the word out then prolly shouldnt even try and open it up, dont think cableas is gonna let you put up fliers for your new shop to take business away from them also LOL does that make any sense that a competing business would let you take business from them willingly??? no competetor will help you get word out about another business thats in competition
    I've started 5 business, (2 have failed, I've sold 2, and currently still have 1 that is blessed to be doing very well). IMHO I have a decent understanding of marketing, sales and competition. I'm looking for perspective from the bow hunter. How does he like to receive his information What things grab his eye and cause him to trust his bow to a shop he has never set foot in. I am personal friends with the Archery manager at Cabela's and they will let me put a flier up if it relates to some type of competition, shoot or give away.