a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can YOU tell the difference between .001, .003 and .006 arrows?

Can YOU tell the difference between .001, .003 and .006 arrows?

I've always bought .001 shafts because I'm one of those guys that doesn't want to leave anything up to chance, but I need some new arrows and I'm considering some in the .0025 (maximas) or .003 range.

Have any of you made the switch one way or the other and actually been able to tell a difference?
    The One Bow: Black Carbon Matrix with camo limbs
    Axcel and sure-loc sights
    Gold Tips Arrows
    Carter releases

The difference...mental and price for the most part. I haven't seen an archer that could tell the difference between .001 and .003

Spine consistency matters much more.

No I can't. I'm not that good!

As soon as I have to pay for them I feel the difference the most.

Out to 40, I see no difference in .001, .003, .006.

50+ groups open up with .006, but not by very much at all.

Out to 80, I cannot see a difference in .001 and .003.

Biggest difference between all them is the weight of my wallet after buying a dozen.

EDIT: just saw someone else agrees on the price.

Nope...

I can't tell any difference between Gold Tip Pro and XT Hunter's being shot side by side. I like shooting group's and the extra money the Pro's cost I can buy more XT's.
    2014 Hoyt Faktor 30 blackout on order
    Bow A Constrictor press
    2012 Elite Answer
    2014 Elite Energy 35 Black

Depends how good you are. For the most part, you can make a .006 arrow better by trimming your shaft from both ends.
    BowTech Pro Staff 2006-2012, Team QAD, Bowjax, NY State Bow/Hunter Education Instructor and Licensed Guide. NYSCC region 6 Archery Representative. Semper Fi

With a fixed blade broadhead on a .006 arrow versus a .003 arrow at 40 yards - YES
    With field points at 20 yards - NO

The difference for me is being really confident in my arrows and spending a extra 20 or so dollars to get the .001 arrows just makes me feel better, in all reality I have taken .003 arrows that I have came by and made them shoot the same hole with my .001 arrows with my hooter shooter and have shot 60x with them mixed together. I did notice that the .003 arrow moved more as I rotated the nock but in the end I was able to get it to hit right with the other arrows.

I am telling you that spine is more important than straightness and I have talked to more than one arrow manufacturer who told me the same thing and I really believe it. my xjammer pro shafts were .001 and when I shoot them through the hooter shooter they shoot a 3.5 inch group until I get them tuned to shoot the same hole where my gold tip ultralight pros and xxx pro shafts only move barely 1 inch when tuning the shafts to hit the same hole. Great spine consistancy is where ultimate accuracy comes from and a straight shaft is just icing on the cake.

I cant tell the difference. As many have said, I can definitely feel the difference when wallet gets lighter and lighter. It really helps my back problems!!
    Mathews Heli-M
    CBE Sniper Pro
    QAD HDX Black
    K-Tech 5 Stabilizer
    CE Blue Streak 350's

With today's arrows, most archers won't find a difference in performance. If you are an Olympic field archer shooting 70 and 90m targets, it matters. If you're a professional archer and need 11's on every shot to win in a 18m spot tourney (and have the skill to execute)... it matters. But for most of us, it really doesn't.

I've shot consistently high rounds with Fatboys (0.003). A former world champion used Fatboys in competition at Lancaster to finished 3rd in Recurve. I saw a number of archrs with Fatboys and Fullbore's, both of which are 0.003 . The larger diameter improves scores more that the variation in straightness diminishes them.

Nope, but archery is a head game... that's why I buy .001!
    Shut up and shoot!
    Genesis 27:3

I can still feel the difference by spinning them on my finger nail. Might not be able to see much difference shooting anymore. Straight nocks are more important than straight arrows. If there is a bend at or near the nock, then you may have an arrow that won't group. Low cost arrows are more likely to have one or two out of a dozen that need to be relegated to the coon/armadillo barrel.

$$$ is the main difference. The rest is usually in the mind. For 99% of shooters, they can't tell any difference.
    '13 PSE DNA 30" 60# 315 fps, Gold Tip Pro Hunter 5575
    09 Elite GT500 29.6" 66# 307 fps -Stage 1 Strings - Tater Tuned!
    Maxima Hunter 350 - Blue Streak Selects 350 Summit Treestands
    Slick Trick Mags, Treelimb Premium Quiver,
    "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

When I put a dozen arrows through a hooter shooter and they spray around a group like a grape fruit I see the truth, you guys who claim that you can't tell the difference because you aren't reo wilde or chance need to accept that your arrows are screwing your even more than the fact that you aren't a top pro. There is a reason I always had a favorite tournament arrow in my past that seemed to just be dead on and I spent weeks trying to shoot and find it, now that I have a hooter shooter all of my arrows shoot dead on and it doesn't matter which one I pick.

since you're asking, you're not good enough to tell a difference...putting you with the rest of us normal shooters.
    USA Level 2 Instructor
    2012 PSE Supra ME, 47#,ACC, Davis sight;2012 Dominator Pro 3D 55#; DS Advantage; ACC's
    Win-Win Inno Carbon Riser/Tropics 36#(38 tof), Redline arrows 690- DS Advantage-282grn@ 195fps
    2010 Hoyt Vantage Pro, XT 2000, Sprls, Sure Loc W BE 6X, ACC's 408g @ 259

In my experience, even those who paid for .001's haven't experienced .001's yet.

A few years ago, I tested quite a few arrows for straightness. Only one dozen actually achieved it & that was a dozen Bemans that were marked .003.

I hope that the tolerances have gotten better, but I take the approach of buying .003 arrows then building & tuning them to get the best groups. If I ever get to the point where I think that I'm good enough to make the LAS Shootup or the Vegas Shootoff, I'll invest in enough .001's to actually get a perfectly matched set & see if they are worth it.

Of course if you really want to feel bad about the money you spend on arrows, test the spine. As important as spine is, it's amazing that any of us can hit anything. I think that the manufacturers know that very few archers own spine testers, so they skimp on these tolerances.

JMHO,
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by td051 View Post
    Depends how good you are. For the most part, you can make a .006 arrow better by trimming your shaft from both ends.
    What he said. Someone once told me you can basically turn an .003 into a "near" .001 by cutting from both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Goocher View Post
    What he said. Someone once told me you can basically turn an .003 into a "near" .001 by cutting from both sides.
    Cut off equal amounts from each end and you would have a hard time seeing any difference in accuracy. Big part of the difference is cost and mentally knowing you are shooting the best arrow you can.
    Team PSE, PSE Militia, DS Advantage sight Team FeatherVision

Quote Originally Posted by ccumming View Post
    Nope, but archery is a head game... that's why I buy .001!
    '13 HOYT Pro Comp Elite (Spiral-X) 60# & 29½", 330 grains @ 290 FPS
    '14 HOYT Faktor 34 (Z5) 60# & 29½", 330 grains @ 302 FPS
    '13 HOYT Carbon Matrix G3 (Z5 conversion) 64# & 30", 330 grains @ 320 FPS
    '09 HOYT Katera XL (Z3) 64# & 30", 374 grains @ 295 FPS
    SPOT HOGG, B-STINGER, GOLD TIP, TROPHY TAKER, SLICK-TRICK, HOT SHOT, TIGHT-SPOT

yup.....
    color of the paint and weight of my wallet.....

If you buy a dozen .006 arrows, you will likely get a mix of arrows between .003 and .006 as .006 is the maximum allowable, not the rule.

I kinda wish there were .007 arrows in case I buy a golden bow and I can build a James Bond set-up.
    ______________________________ ______________________________ ______________
    WHoopety-DOOOOOO

The only time I see any difference between a .006 arrow and a .003, and even a .0025" arrow, is past 30 yards.

After 40 yards it becomes even more apparent.

However, the main thing I find is it's most always easier to get the higher quality arrows to spin true with broad heads.

Skeet.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

You cannot hit what you cannot see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast