Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47

Thread: Media Bias

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Regina, Sask. Canada
    Posts
    613

    Media Bias

    First of all I watch Fox News most of the time . If you look at any of the "main stream" media , ABC , CBS , NBC or cable news MSNBC you only get the liberal point of view . These guys are so in love with Obama and the Democratic so deep an objective view is not possible . I always thought that a true journalist was supposed to be objective and provide a balanced view .I guess these main stream media reporters are not real journalists . They only cover stories that are favorable to the liberal communities . I realize that FOX NEWS does a lot of stories on Republican and conservatives but at least they present a balanced view, unlike the bald faced lies coming from the main stream media.
    I think if the Republicans want to improve their status they should buy a few news networks so they can get the facts out there.
    Mach 10



  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    The real NY, 250 miles NW of Manhattan
    Posts
    13,113
    A balanced view?

    Holy crap. If you don't recognize Fox as the most biased of a bunch of biased sources, you're not really looking. I think you may be giving them a big pass because they happen to agree with your favorite party.
    "'Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise': thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CA, inland empire
    Posts
    25,572
    balanced?
    Not as smart or as good looking as punch master but I charge 1/4 of what he does & I take coupons

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Calhoun County, Michigan
    Posts
    630

    Media Bias

    Media & Balanced do not belong in the same sentence. I do not watch to news, I like to form my own opinions, not have some ****** in a suit with a big paycheck give me his or her point of view.

    All the money wasted campaigning for both sides and the stupid inaugural ball- good thing we gotta cut troops.

    Moral/Common sense compasses in the main stream media and in DC land are so jacked up I don't understand how they function.
    ~ Rise Up Son, Shoot Bear ~

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    MCMINNVILLE OR
    Posts
    7,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Spreggy View Post
    A balanced view?

    Holy crap. If you don't recognize Fox as the most biased of a bunch of biased sources, you're not really looking. I think you may be giving them a big pass because they happen to agree with your favorite party.
    No, A big pass is a NBC interview with a pedophile from NJ without asking about the investigation of his involvement with underage hookers in the dominican republic.


    http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sh...s-about-fbis-h
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." - Verbal Kint in The Usual Suspects

    As it is said in Lindy Wisdom's verse: "There ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."



    Charter Member: NCWID
    NAASP

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    14,475
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach 10 View Post
    First of all I watch Fox News most of the time . If you look at any of the "main stream" media , ABC , CBS , NBC or cable news MSNBC you only get the liberal point of view . These guys are so in love with Obama and the Democratic so deep an objective view is not possible . I always thought that a true journalist was supposed to be objective and provide a balanced view .I guess these main stream media reporters are not real journalists . They only cover stories that are favorable to the liberal communities . I realize that FOX NEWS does a lot of stories on Republican and conservatives but at least they present a balanced view, unlike the bald faced lies coming from the main stream media.
    I think if the Republicans want to improve their status they should buy a few news networks so they can get the facts out there.
    Mach 10


    OMG. Seriously?! Fox is the main stream media. What do you do when you want to determine what the 'truth' is? Turn on Fox; why? because like everybody else who claims 'their' news source is the unbiased, fair and balanced one, you don't want to hear the 'truth', you simply want validation of already rigidly held beliefs; Fox tells you what you're already programmed yourself to believe. Same with those who would claim MSNBC and Keith Olberman are the foundation of upright and guiltless journalism.

    I love the unintentional irony of your suggestion that the Republicans buy a few more networks so they can get the 'facts' out.
    "Brew your own beer, blow up your TV, kill your own beef, build your own cabin and piss off the front porch whenever you bloody well feel like it." -Edward Abbey

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Somewhere between cradle and grave.
    Posts
    21,227
    Quote Originally Posted by mattawamkeag View Post
    I love the unintentional irony of your suggestion that the Republicans buy a few more networks so they can get the 'facts' out.
    At least we buy ours with our own money. I'd better put some more thought into that seeing the LSM are prostitutes for the Left...I don't know how they are paid off yet.
    A man may fish with the worm that hath eat of a king, and eat of the fish that hath fed of that worm.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    MCMINNVILLE OR
    Posts
    7,808
    Quote Originally Posted by mattawamkeag View Post
    OMG. Seriously?! Fox is the main stream media. What do you do when you want to determine what the 'truth' is? Turn on Fox; why? because like everybody else who claims 'their' news source is the unbiased, fair and balanced one, you don't want to hear the 'truth', you simply want validation of already rigidly held beliefs; Fox tells you what you're already programmed yourself to believe. Same with those who would claim MSNBC and Keith Olberman are the foundation of upright and guiltless journalism.

    I love the unintentional irony of your suggestion that the Republicans buy a few more networks so they can get the 'facts' out.
    Yeah, the truth game was all sewed up until Dan Rather and Mary Mapes were "retired"

    which network pulled the gm pickup truck exploding gas tank??? I know it wasn't Fox.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." - Verbal Kint in The Usual Suspects

    As it is said in Lindy Wisdom's verse: "There ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."



    Charter Member: NCWID
    NAASP

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CA, inland empire
    Posts
    25,572
    Quote Originally Posted by mattawamkeag View Post
    OMG. Seriously?! Fox is the main stream media. What do you do when you want to determine what the 'truth' is? Turn on Fox; why? because like everybody else who claims 'their' news source is the unbiased, fair and balanced one, you don't want to hear the 'truth', you simply want validation of already rigidly held beliefs; Fox tells you what you're already programmed yourself to believe. Same with those who would claim MSNBC and Keith Olberman are the foundation of upright and guiltless journalism.

    I love the unintentional irony of your suggestion that the Republicans buy a few more networks so they can get the 'facts' out.
    Not as smart or as good looking as punch master but I charge 1/4 of what he does & I take coupons

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    14,475
    Quote Originally Posted by ELKARCHER View Post
    Yeah, the truth game was all sewed up until Dan Rather and Mary Mapes were "retired"

    which network pulled the gm pickup truck exploding gas tank??? I know it wasn't Fox.

    Please. I'm not advocating for the Left side of the fence here; they're just as culpable as Fox. You can't seriously believe in the 'sanctity' of 'journalistic integrity' at Fox. They take events of the day and tack on their subjective spin because they know exactly what it is you want to hear. There is a statue of Pavlov occupying a prominent place in Roger Ailes trophy case.

    Just admit you listen to Fox because it is a balm to your conscience and soul, we understand. People listen to John Stewart for the very same reasons they listen to Limbaugh. Doesn't make either one of them right, just comforting.
    "Brew your own beer, blow up your TV, kill your own beef, build your own cabin and piss off the front porch whenever you bloody well feel like it." -Edward Abbey

  11. #11
    You can't trust ANY of them!

    NOT ONE!!! Not even National Public Radio.

    If you want to know what's going on MINUS the American government propaganda, you have to go here..... http://www.aljazeera.com/category/country/united-states
    Last edited by Logos; January 28th, 2013 at 03:02 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    MCMINNVILLE OR
    Posts
    7,808
    Quote Originally Posted by mattawamkeag View Post
    Please. I'm not advocating for the Left side of the fence here; they're just as culpable as Fox. You can't seriously believe in the 'sanctity' of 'journalistic integrity' at Fox. They take events of the day and tack on their subjective spin because they know exactly what it is you want to hear. There is a statue of Pavlov occupying a prominent place in Roger Ailes trophy case.

    Just admit you listen to Fox because it is a balm to your conscience and soul, we understand. People listen to John Stewart for the very same reasons they listen to Limbaugh. Doesn't make either one of them right, just comforting.
    I posted those examples of downright fabrication as opposed to your examples(didn't see any) of spin
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." - Verbal Kint in The Usual Suspects

    As it is said in Lindy Wisdom's verse: "There ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."



    Charter Member: NCWID
    NAASP

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    14,475
    Quote Originally Posted by ELKARCHER View Post
    I posted those examples of downright fabrication as opposed to your examples(didn't see any) of spin
    So it is going to be your continued contention that Fox News speaketh nothing but the truth? So be it. Enjoy the warmth and comfort of your repeated validation. As for examples of Fox blatant 'pants on fire' reporting hubris, simply go to PolitiFact any day of the week, there's always at least one example of a complete falsehood committed by your Sainted network on a daily basis.

    ...why do you think they're above reproach? They aren't. They occupy the same gutter as all the others. Certain people will say horse poo smells far worse than cow poo, others will roll their eyes and exclaim "How can you say that?! Cow poo obviously smells worse than horse poo!" Which do you prefer?
    "Brew your own beer, blow up your TV, kill your own beef, build your own cabin and piss off the front porch whenever you bloody well feel like it." -Edward Abbey

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Spreggy View Post
    A balanced view?

    Holy crap. If you don't recognize Fox as the most biased of a bunch of biased sources, you're not really looking. I think you may be giving them a big pass because they happen to agree with your favorite party.
    Fox is not the most biased, they are just biased conservative which gives any liberal heartburn. They all have their bias. I do agree with the OP that a lot of the media has given strong deference to Obama. There is a lot they could call him on and do not.
    Be REEZENable

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    MCMINNVILLE OR
    Posts
    7,808
    Quote Originally Posted by mattawamkeag View Post
    So it is going to be your continued contention that Fox News speaketh nothing but the truth? So be it. Enjoy the warmth and comfort of your repeated validation. As for examples of Fox blatant 'pants on fire' reporting hubris, simply go to PolitiFact any day of the week, there's always at least one example of a complete falsehood committed by your Sainted network on a daily basis.

    ...why do you think they're above reproach? They aren't. They occupy the same gutter as all the others. Certain people will say horse poo smells far worse than cow poo, others will roll their eyes and exclaim "How can you say that?! Cow poo obviously smells worse than horse poo!" Which do you prefer?
    those are some real good examples that you have sited. NOT. Give me one that matches what I posted, the dan rather "fake but accurate" story
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." - Verbal Kint in The Usual Suspects

    As it is said in Lindy Wisdom's verse: "There ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."



    Charter Member: NCWID
    NAASP

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    14,475
    Quote Originally Posted by ELKARCHER View Post
    those are some real good examples that you have sited. NOT. Give me one that matches what I posted, the dan rather "fake but accurate" story

    Why do you have a problem admitting that Fox has right wing bias? I don't get it.

    So examples of Fox out right information manipulation qualifies for journalistic integrity? You don't have a problem with that? I'm curious, let's hear what you think the word 'integrity' actually means.
    "Brew your own beer, blow up your TV, kill your own beef, build your own cabin and piss off the front porch whenever you bloody well feel like it." -Edward Abbey

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    MCMINNVILLE OR
    Posts
    7,808
    Quote Originally Posted by mattawamkeag View Post
    Why do you have a problem admitting that Fox has right wing bias? I don't get it.

    So examples of Fox out right information manipulation qualifies for journalistic integrity? You don't have a problem with that? I'm curious, let's hear what you think the word 'integrity' actually means.
    just give me an example so I can judge your metrics
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." - Verbal Kint in The Usual Suspects

    As it is said in Lindy Wisdom's verse: "There ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."



    Charter Member: NCWID
    NAASP

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    14,475
    Quote Originally Posted by ELKARCHER View Post
    just give me an example so I can judge your metrics

    I have Elk. I told you that PolitiFact and Factcheck can cite multiple examples of Fox news erroneous reporting. That you choose not to recognize those examples is your choice. PolitiFact is just as hard on the Left wing media.

    "You didn't build that" Fox taking words out of context and spinning it to their viewers particular bent. Bias. Fox says Obie called Romney "A Felon!" He didn't. Bias. Fox ignoring its very own poll showing Obama ahead of Romney, along with 3 other national pollsters showing the same, ...and highlighting the only poll that wrongly showed Romney ahead: Rasmussen's. Bias.

    You can't be that blind to Fox's intent, can you? Lawyers for Fox news successfully argued in a Florida court that the 1st amendment gives them the right to lie and distort news reports on public airways. An Appellate court in Florida upheld the decision that allows Fox to twist 'news' to fit its own agenda. "...there is nothing illegal about lying, concealing or distorting information by a major news organization."

    The court maintained the the FCC position against lying and distortion was only a 'policy' and not a law. Murdoch cries out; "We have been totally vindicated!"

    ...glad you hold them in such high esteem.

    Roger Ailes is the father of Fox; what more need be said as to it's legacy?
    "Brew your own beer, blow up your TV, kill your own beef, build your own cabin and piss off the front porch whenever you bloody well feel like it." -Edward Abbey

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,065
    I would call Rupert Murdoch the father of Fox News. Murdoch put the Fox network together and hired Ailes, a former republican strategist and NBC executive, away from left leaning cable channel Americas Talking (now MSNBC, yes you read that right) to come and start Fox News.
    I think it was brilliant from a business viewpoint. There were plenty of left leaning news sources at the time so why not offer an alternative. Fox has grown huge, frequently earns top ratings competing effectively with other networks.

    So here is an NBC executive who ran a left leaning cable channel now running Fox News.
    Be REEZENable

  20. #20
    No use.....they think lying, concealing, distorting and twisting are honorable if used to help the Tea Party.

    War is peace. Lies are truth.

    “So long as they (the Proles) continued to work and breed, their other activities were without importance. Left to themselves, like cattle turned loose upon the plains of Argentina, they had reverted to a style of life that appeared to be natural to them, a sort of ancestral pattern...Heavy physical work, the care of home and children, petty quarrels with neighbors, films, football, beer and above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds. To keep them in control was not difficult.”
    ― George Orwell
    Last edited by Logos; January 28th, 2013 at 06:37 PM.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    MCMINNVILLE OR
    Posts
    7,808
    Quote Originally Posted by mattawamkeag View Post
    I have Elk. I told you that PolitiFact and Factcheck can cite multiple examples of Fox news erroneous reporting. That you choose not to recognize those examples is your choice. PolitiFact is just as hard on the Left wing media.

    "You didn't build that" Fox taking words out of context and spinning it to their viewers particular bent. Bias. Fox says Obie called Romney "A Felon!" He didn't. Bias. Fox ignoring its very own poll showing Obama ahead of Romney, along with 3 other national pollsters showing the same, ...and highlighting the only poll that wrongly showed Romney ahead: Rasmussen's. Bias.

    You can't be that blind to Fox's intent, can you? Lawyers for Fox news successfully argued in a Florida court that the 1st amendment gives them the right to lie and distort news reports on public airways. An Appellate court in Florida upheld the decision that allows Fox to twist 'news' to fit its own agenda. "...there is nothing illegal about lying, concealing or distorting information by a major news organization."

    The court maintained the the FCC position against lying and distortion was only a 'policy' and not a law. Murdoch cries out; "We have been totally vindicated!"

    ...glad you hold them in such high esteem.

    Roger Ailes is the father of Fox; what more need be said as to it's legacy?
    None of that comes close to what I posted. "You didn't build that" was a typical example of socialist theory (backed up by lyeawatha warren) Not aware of obi calling Romney a felon, but cutter (obama spokesperson) definitly acused him of committing a felony. All pollsters are not always correct but Rasmussen was consideredto be accurate by most,

    Besides, you did not name the speakers and quite possibly are relating to "opinon" factions, such as Juan Williams, Mara LIasson and others. There are quite a few liberal speakers on Fox--along with Shep Smith.

    Do watch Fox or just read about what they may have said as reported by your above sources?

    What About Bret Baier, Evan Bayh,Neil Cavuto, susan Estrich, Alan Colmes, Bob Beckel, Nina Easton
    Britt Hume and of course Krauthammer

    Fairly balenced to me, and that is a small list

    Still no equal in your examples to the Dan Rather story
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." - Verbal Kint in The Usual Suspects

    As it is said in Lindy Wisdom's verse: "There ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."



    Charter Member: NCWID
    NAASP

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    14,475
    Quote Originally Posted by ELKARCHER View Post
    None of that comes close to what I posted. "You didn't build that" was a typical example of socialist theory (backed up by lyeawatha warren) Not aware of obi calling Romney a felon, but cutter (obama spokesperson) definitly acused him of committing a felony. All pollsters are not always correct but Rasmussen was consideredto be accurate by most,

    Besides, you did not name the speakers and quite possibly are relating to "opinon" factions, such as Juan Williams, Mara LIasson and others. There are quite a few liberal speakers on Fox--along with Shep Smith.

    Do watch Fox or just read about what they may have said as reported by your above sources?

    What About Bret Baier, Evan Bayh,Neil Cavuto, susan Estrich, Alan Colmes, Bob Beckel, Nina Easton
    Britt Hume and of course Krauthammer

    Fairly balenced to me, and that is a small list

    Still no equal in your examples to the Dan Rather story

    I don't remember the Rather thing, I never watched him; I always thought he was more about himself than the news he was supposed to be reporting. But if he did outright lie he should have been fired on the spot, any of them should. They're screwing with our trust. I won't follow MSNBC or Fox for those very reasons. Fox admits to skewing information to the right to suit a right wing philosophy and MSNBC does, and says, exactly the same thing.

    Every one of those personalities you mentioned is ideologically situated on the right, it's how that organization is structured. Do you think Rachel Maddow could walk into Fox and get a day job along side of them? Olberman? I understand you feel Fox represents a 'fair and balanced' approach to journalism. It speaks to what you already believe or want to believe of people; we all have personal bias's. I don't share yours, it isn't a big deal, the truth is probably out there in the middle somewhere. Charles Krauthammer/Paul Krugman both well educated, very bright, very opinionated, ...very opposite. Choose your poison. I know Krauthammer is right and Krugman is left; they know it too, and they aren't afraid to let you know it either. So who's right? Truth becomes a casualty of personality cults and ratings.

    Do you not find the Florida case troubling? A 'News' organization going to court to defend its 'right' to manipulate, distort, and fabricate the 'news' of the day? ...and winning?! That doesn't raise red flags for you?
    "Brew your own beer, blow up your TV, kill your own beef, build your own cabin and piss off the front porch whenever you bloody well feel like it." -Edward Abbey

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Northeast Indiana
    Posts
    15,671
    Quote Originally Posted by mattawamkeag View Post
    I don't remember the Rather thing, I never watched him; I always thought he was more about himself than the news he was supposed to be reporting. But if he did outright lie he should have been fired on the spot, any of them should. They're screwing with our trust. I won't follow MSNBC or Fox for those very reasons. Fox admits to skewing information to the right to suit a right wing philosophy and MSNBC does, and says, exactly the same thing.

    Every one of those personalities you mentioned is ideologically situated on the right, it's how that organization is structured. Do you think Rachel Maddow could walk into Fox and get a day job along side of them? Olberman? I understand you feel Fox represents a 'fair and balanced' approach to journalism. It speaks to what you already believe or want to believe of people; we all have personal bias's. I don't share yours, it isn't a big deal, the truth is probably out there in the middle somewhere. Charles Krauthammer/Paul Krugman both well educated, very bright, very opinionated, ...very opposite. Choose your poison. I know Krauthammer is right and Krugman is left; they know it too, and they aren't afraid to let you know it either. So who's right? Truth becomes a casualty of personality cults and ratings.

    Do you not find the Florida case troubling? A 'News' organization going to court to defend its 'right' to manipulate, distort, and fabricate the 'news' of the day? ...and winning?! That doesn't raise red flags for you?
    You don't remember 'Rathergate'?

    That's when it was revealed that Rather and company actually forged documents to substantiate claims made about GWB's military involvement. Rather ended up justifying it saying basically, "Well, this is what the documents did look like…we just don't have the originals..."
    Vicit agnus noster eum sequamur

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ojo Caliente, New Mex
    Posts
    544
    I watch Fox news exclusively, none of the other major networks come close to the quality reporting of Fox. I only watch the local CBS station for the local weather. The best news analysts have migrated from the other networks and are reporting for Fox, what does that tell you. You want the truth, you want the truth, you can't handle the truth!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    14,475
    Quote Originally Posted by Indychris View Post
    You don't remember 'Rathergate'?

    That's when it was revealed that Rather and company actually forged documents to substantiate claims made about GWB's military involvement. Rather ended up justifying it saying basically, "Well, this is what the documents did look like…we just don't have the originals..."

    I don't. I wonder what was going on in my life that I missed that?! Seriously? Rather forged documents?

    I gotta go look this stuff up. Is that why he 'retired'? He should have been very publicly fired and drawn and quartered.

    I never used to watch him simply because I didn't 'trust' him. We tend to fall into patterns and the news is no different. I used to watch MacNeil/Leher because they at least would try and offer two sides to a story; let you decide.
    "Brew your own beer, blow up your TV, kill your own beef, build your own cabin and piss off the front porch whenever you bloody well feel like it." -Edward Abbey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •