Thread: What size bow do I need?

What size bow do I need?

Hello,

I'd like to buy one of the three bows listed below but was wondering if any of them is the right size for a 5'4" woman with a draw length of 25.6"? Also, which would you say is the best quality of the three?

(In order of best to last)
    http://www.outdoorsexperience.com/ra...rixcustom.html

http://www.traditionalarcheryusa.com...sagetdbow.aspx

http://www.outdoorsexperience.com/greatreemohegan.html

Thank!
    Rachel

Sorry if this or a similar thread posts twice, my computer is being stupid and made me rewrite this thread.

You're fine with a 62" bow. Longer can't hurt a thing, but 62" is well within the norm for average folk.

I can't speak for the Ragim, but I own a Greatree Mohegan and also the Samick Polaris, a very close relative of the Sage. Either are excellent bows to start out on.

Your draw length is quite specific. Are you already shooting a particular bow?

The trick will be to get the proper arrows to match your bow's weight and draw length. Once you know the bow and poundage you want, then the forum folk (or a knowledgeable retailer where you get the bow) can help you match things up.

Keep in touch!

I see a lot of recommendations and happy reviews on the Samick Sage. The others are probably fine too but the Sage seems like a pretty popular bow.

I agree with Thin Man, don't worry about the bow beign too long, 62" will be fine. If you are just starting out, buy a light draw weight. I would buy the 25# or 30# model, at your draw length you would end up with a bow in the low to mid-25 range. Most bows loose or gain 2#-3# per inch above or below the marked draw length (28" for the Sage), but that might be a little different for a light bow. Either way about the only mistake you can make is buying one too heavy...assuming you are just starting out.

Rachel -

A lot is going to depend on what you want to do with the bow, your budget and tastes. All the bow you mentioned are very serviceable, but there are better options at a higher price.

Heed Easy's advice, the more serious you are about learning to shoot, the lighter and longer your first bow should be.

Viper1 out.
    “Simple and innocent, however, as it (the bow) appears, and capable as it is of being a trusty friend and ally, a bow is at the same time a watchful enemy, ready to take advantage of the smallest slight.”

Thanks all,

Thinman: I determined my draw length by taking my height in inches (64) and dividing it by 2.5 which came out to 25.6. I have tried other forms of measuring and all seemed to come out to 25-26".
    I used to shoot a while back until my longbow broke. I think the draw length on it was 28" but the writing was faded so it was hard to tell.

Viper1: I will be using it in my 100ft backyard for target practice only. I have a budget of $130 (preferably less) for the bow.
    My longbow had a draw weight of about 30lbs, that was a breeze to shoot. I'm thinking 30lbs on a recurve should shoot similarly to a longbow of the same weight?

Easykeeper: I thought if you buy a bow that's to short it will shoot way off? A chart I saw on a thread here said a person with a draw lenght of 25-27 should use a 64" bow but else where I have seen manufacturers say that a 62" bow has a draw length of up to 28".
    So should I just get a 64"? Viper did say the more serious you are the longer the bow you should buy.

I really like the ragim matrix, does anyone own one or shot one before? Seems solid to me with a good price.
    By-the-way, does any one know how to pronounce Ragim?
    Rachel

My daughter has a Ragim Matrix, 20# @ 28". The first one had a bit of a warp, but the dealer i bought it from swapped it without batting an eye. I have shot it, along with my ragim impala (40# @28") and I find it very nice to shoot. I have shot it to learn changes in my form, and I can't really say anything bad about it. I do not have a lot of experience, but for a low cost bow its money well spent.

What Viper implied is the longer a bow the smoother it will draw. I shoot 62" hunting type bows and I'm 5'9". My grandaughter, and two grandsons shoot 62" bows and they are 10-12 years old and not 5" tall yet. 62" would be the shortest I'd go with and you could go to a 66" target bow without hurting yourself. Remember, longer =smoother drawing. Short bows are not inherantly innacurate but they don't draw as as smoothly, and are a little more critical to shoot, and you get more finger pinch from the string.

On a very tight budget, a 62" generic recurve will get you there on Easy Street.

ILF Olympic style rigs can get one up to 72" ... this type of bow may not be in your charts for now.

"D" shaped (Hill-style) longbows have some rules-of-thumb concerning draw length and bow length, but this is not of concern if not looking at those.

Friends of my own kids visit and shoot my "guest" 62" light-draw recurve bows all the time with no problem. I even set one up for my sister ... who is possibly the most casual and nonchalant hobby shooter on the face of the planet. She loves it and forced me to repaint the limbs to suit her color tastes (champagne color, by the way ... which surprised me when finished as it is absolutely stunning in the outdoor sunlight!).

If your budget is bare-bones, you already know the answer to the bow question in the listings in your first post. More money is gonna fly towards arrows, tab/glove, arm guard, quiver, target bag, etc.

Strike while the iron is hot and let us know how it works out.

Good luck.

Thanks reddogge for clearing that up.
    Thinman, thank you for your helpful advice. Looks like I was making things way more complicated then they needed to be.
    Going to try to get a bow ordered by next week and when I do I will let you guys know.

Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by PrismaArcher View Post
    Easykeeper: I thought if you buy a bow that's to short it will shoot way off? A chart I saw on a thread here said a person with a draw lenght of 25-27 should use a 64" bow but else where I have seen manufacturers say that a 62" bow has a draw length of up to 28".
    So should I just get a 64"? Viper did say the more serious you are the longer the bow you should buy.
    I think it's been covered, but in general the longer the bow the better. My recommendation was based on the Sage that I mentioned, which I think only comes as a 62" bow, at least in the link you provided. Bow length preference varies, I have a 29" draw length and like my 64" recurves better than my 62" and 60" bows, but I can shoot the shorter ones as well. For all I know I'd really like one even longer than 64", but as a hunter there is handiness to consider...if you can call a 64" bow handy. For me it comes down to string angle, that's what I notice most when comparing bow lengths. I would think anything over 62" with your draw length would be fine...and once again if you can find a longer bow you like don't hesitate.