Thread: balancing speed and kinetic energy.

balancing speed and kinetic energy.

I plan on getting a new bow next year. a high country x10 and it looks like a great fast bow. what about arrow choices. i plan on getting deer crossing archery already have a few of those and like them. what is the best weight to balance both speed and kinetic energy?

what poundage bow will you shoot and well as Draw length,
    Custom Rudderbow Diamondback Skin Longbow 53#
    Hoyt Trykon xl
    Browning Ted Nugent Bloodbrother bow
    Bowtech Solution ls 350

the new bow will be a high country x10 at around 65 pounds at 28" draw length. i am shooting a bear encounter at 65 with 370 grain arrows. but i want a better balance of both worlds

Quote Originally Posted by kenny33 View Post
    the new bow will be a high country x10 at around 65 pounds at 28" draw length. i am shooting a bear encounter at 65 with 370 grain arrows. but i want a better balance of both worlds
    I notice that you don't include accuracy, consistency, and forgiveness in this "formula"? What good is high speed and high kinetic energy if you cannot hit a bull in the arse with a fiddle with said equipment?
    Just let it float and SHOOT THE SHOT! Author of: "ProActive Archery", "The Puzzled Archer", "The Puzzled Cyclist".
    -field14 (Tom D.)

shoot a 29 inch arrow with a 350 or 340 spine with a 92 grain brass inserts and 100 grain BH...that should work perfect for your set up
    Custom Rudderbow Diamondback Skin Longbow 53#
    Hoyt Trykon xl
    Browning Ted Nugent Bloodbrother bow
    Bowtech Solution ls 350

well im just looking for around a good weight and then ill pick the arrows. i really like the deer crossing archery arrows. they are affordable and very accurate. they are coming out with a heavier arrow so i am wanting to know what a good overall weight is to get the best out of both worlds.

ive been using archery calculators and if the new bow hits ibo it should be plenty of kinetic energy with any arrow thats 350-400 grains. over 300 fps

Quote Originally Posted by kenny33 View Post
    ive been using archery calculators and if the new bow hits ibo it should be plenty of kinetic energy with any arrow thats 350-400 grains. over 300 fps
    It will have (almost) the same kinetic energy with a 330gr, 390, 590 or 900gr arrow.

You can't balance kinetic energy and speed, it's always the same. Or the difference is pretty much insignificant.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenBubba View Post
    Jesus never killed anyone. In fact no one died in Christs presence. Muhammad was a killing machine.

i think im following ya. i think im going to go with around a 390 grain arrow is what im going to try for

I strongly suggest you use the search function and research the many variables of physics to help you qualify your decision, as your stated priorities of KE and Speed in your question, are not directly related to what you want to achieve with them.

Greater speed allows flatter trajectory, and your stated bow will be plenty fast for penetration purposes, no matter your final mass selected. Every archer will have an opinion on what is flat enough for trajectory for a given distance. KE is often misrepresented in its importance to anything relevant in archery. Ke is misrepresented in its direct correlation to importance in penetration unless you look at physics, which will show mass is more important than speed. Documented field studies affirm what science predicts will happen.

All this said, your priority for targets or game should first be a perfectly tuned system, that manifests itself by perfect arrow flight. Along with the equipment you will have to tune yourself.....I cannot figure myself out so cannot help with this one. When you understand how to tune your entire system, you will have the answer to your question above. Wish you the best.