Thread: Adjusting Draw Weight on Hoyt Excel

Adjusting Draw Weight on Hoyt Excel

I have Black Max Limbs (45# - long) on a 23" Hoyt Excel Riser. I am trying to lower the draw weight by backing out the Adjustment Bolt. The manual says the bolts can be backed out a maximum of six full turns. My issue is that if I back them out more than two turns, I cannot physically slide the limbs back on -- when I slide the dovetail into the slot, there's not enough play to tilt the limb so that the groove cut in the end of the limb will catch the Adjustment Bolt which is now too high and keeps the limb from sliding all the way in. (see picture below). In fact, to back the bolt out 2 turns, I have to slide the limb on first, and then back the bolt out until it won't turn any more because of the tension on from the limb. Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks,

Kent

IMG_2575.jpg

Kent,
    I adjust mine with the bow unstrung and the limbs in place, but someone more knowledgeable than I should respond pretty soon.

Kent,
    Just remove the soft clear pads off of the limbs. All the Black Max limbs come form Lancaster's with the pads but they will sometimes cause some clearance issues.
    It will not cause any issues if you remove the pads and your limbs should fit. I use to keep them on all the BM limbs thinking the bow would make less noise but found that is not the case.
    Good luck

Kent -

Luv's correct. loose the plastic pads. If the limbs still feel tight, lube the "U" groove with a little string wax.

If the limb geometry is still an issue, turn the bolts in one turn, the difference will be less than a pound.

Viper1 out.
    “Simple and innocent, however, as it (the bow) appears, and capable as it is of being a trusty friend and ally, a bow is at the same time a watchful enemy, ready to take advantage of the smallest slight.”

Thanks! This is exactly what I needed to know and will take the pads off. I was afraid of stressing the dovetail, and this should solve that.

I couldn't imagine getting into this sport without this forum as a resource! I appreciate all the help.

Kent

I have a 21" Excel and Black Max limbs. I took the pads off but I can only get 3 or 3 1/2 turns out before they bind up.

So how do you get these ILF limbs off the riser? ... I assume just a sharp tug on the limb will do it, but wanted to be sure.

6 -

The limbs should slip in and out with a little force. Anything more and something is amiss.

Viper1 out.
    “Simple and innocent, however, as it (the bow) appears, and capable as it is of being a trusty friend and ally, a bow is at the same time a watchful enemy, ready to take advantage of the smallest slight.”

Thanks ... the limbs just pop out with little effort. I was able to reduce draw weight slightly on my 21" Excel while setting tiller about 1/8" higher on the top limb. Brace height measured 8-3/8" with a 61" string (actual length) on the 64" bow.