Archery Talk Forum banner

Coyote problem HELP!!!

3K views 40 replies 34 participants last post by  Kstigall 
#1 ·
I live in a small town, and lately the coyotes have been comin into my yard and p****** and crappin everywhere!! And on my street 3 cats and a dog have been killed/taken by them. Tonight i came home and i saw one trottin down my street and he was HUGE!! I mean like i bet he was 50+pounds and wasnt even scared of me. i cant trap in town, cant shoot in town so what can i do? The town wont do anything cause its a danger to them and to us. There are 25 kids on my block and 15 of them are under 10. most are actually from 1-6 years old.

Im tempted to call the CO but he wont be able to do alot anyway. set a live trap and you'll get a cat or dog. cant put poisen out for obvisous reasons...

Whats you guys advice??

#7 ·
They have some nice subsonic .22LR rounds. Should be nice for up close and quiet. (Hear they sound like a pellet gun). I live in a housing community(renting) with fields not far off and hear coyotes every so often. Thinking about nocking on some doors. If I saw them as close as you have been and with no fear... Well we are on an archery forum. I'd notify the neighbors though and ensure they're on the same page. Bait and wait. Good luck.

#19 ·
I have similar situation & had one ready to take our little dog last night. I yelled & he split but being in city limits & edge of town + suburban permit for Archery Deer (my yard is legal) it's not a problem & I have shot AT a couple with the bow. Our season is closed so Bow wasn't handy. I just moved it to the back door today for a next time. S & S, ground is frozen.

#21 ·
Find a local trapper or contact the state trapper. They'll handle it in no time. Local sporting goods store should know the trappers.

Snares would be the cheapest method, but you need to set up outside of town where you won't catch dogs. You also need to know your state laws regarding loop size, break-aways and such in case you snag a deer or something nontarget.

Best get busy, though, they'll be back tonight.

Shadow Man

#33 ·
^^^ good advice!

If you have access to some meat scraps, i.e. a meat locker. Pick up a bunch of scraps, put them in some 5 gallon buckets and fill them up with water. Freeze them, then dump them out in an area nearby that you can hunt/trap. The frozen meatcicles keep them at the bait station longer because they have to work to get to the meat. If there are pets nearby, don't use snares.

#24 ·
im about 0.25 a mile from the edge of town. i might be able to set up in the west field and shoot some there. I dont mind them in town, its when they arent afraid of me and start taking pets then im going to step in

#25 ·
If you have a .22 with a bull barrell or a barrell that isn't tapered, then get a two foot piece of pvc pipe that fits snug over it and pipe clamp it down. Then put duct tape over the end of the pipe. I did it to my ruger 10/22 with a bull barrell and shoot normal high velocity rounds...its quieter than a pellet gun.

#26 ·
And a possible felony. Not that I havent done some fun stuff, just dont get caught with it.

#27 ·
UPDATE:This morning I went out for a drive lookin for some deer (got a spotting scope and camera for christmas so i wanted to try them out) and i took my .270 with me as i usually see 1 or 2 yotes. well i went out and i wasnt even .25 a mile out of town when i saw a MONSTER yote. i checked and double checked to make sure it was a yote and not someones dog being that close to town. well sure enough it was and he was 322 yards out and i MISSED him!!! He did a big jump and ran when i shot so i thought i got him, walked out no blood in the snow, no hair nothing. I could see my house thats how close i was and he running towards the town.

Im hoping that was the one i had been seein in town and hopefully i scared him enough that he wont be back!

#36 ·
Exactly what I was gonna say. Except you should drill a hole in the bottom of the bucket with a paddle bit, run a chain or cable thru and secure it to the bottom of a tree so when the yote goes to back out of the bucket, his head becomes trapped.

I've heard that once the yote has his head trapped in the bucket and begins yippin', the other yotes will turn on him and kill him. I guess it's pretty gruesome to hear cuz there's lots of noise....most of it not pretty either. When you check the bucket the next morning, you'll just find a yote head in the bottom of it.

I guy told me that he once trapped 7 yotes during the course of a week close to a town where you couldn't use a firearm/bow.

The only thing I would caution you about is the amount of noise that this solution could produce. Also, I suspect that it isn't legal either....not that many of the suggestions here are!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.