Archery Talk Forum banner

looking for a finger sling link

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  TexARC 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I want to make a finger sling for a JOAD shooter.

Does anyone know a link that shows how to do this?

Todd

#3 ·
that's a great link and would work perfectly for an adult, but I'm dealing with an 11year old JOAD shooter.

I'm hoping to find a link that shows how to tie a knot that can slip of the thumb and another index finger and adjust the size of each

#6 ·
The method in the video showing the cow hitch/lark's head knot is the standard method used by archers all over the world. Any kid who can tie their own shoes can use this method and we have a number of kids in our program using. Teach it once and they won't have to learn another method later. Use a flat shoelace for better weight distribution.

You can use a commercial finger sling with sliders but they aren't self-tightening and don't distribute the weight as well.

#7 ·
For 6 year olds, i would use a commercial sling. their fingers will be fairly small. The larks head method is the most common method among shooters. But it does have its draw backs. Sometimes its too tight and will cut circulation as it is self tightening, other times it will be too loose.

This finger sling method is a little harder to learn upfront, but is perfectly snug on your fingers and very fast once you learn it. And you never have it too tight or too loose. I teach this one to our JOAD shooters once they complain the finger sling is too loose consistently or too tight.

http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/Natick_Archer/media/DSCN9742.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

Chris

#13 ·
Actually we found the shoestrings worked better for our daughters when they were 6 than most commercial slings, there are lots of differently sized shoestrings available.

I tie it in a slightly different motion which results in the same knot and is simple to do. My kids learned it in about 5 seconds when they were 6 years old.

Andrew

#8 ·
so all that info is fine, but it doesn't really answer my question.

What I'd like to know how (and started the thread find out about) is to tie the knots to create a finger sling like these. I realize that these one does not have any knots ,but what kind of knot would be used to tie these ends
Text Font Design Symbol

#11 ·
so all that info is fine, but it doesn't really answer my question.

What I'd like to know how (and started the thread find out about) is to tie the knots to create a finger sling like these. I realize that these one does not have any knots ,but what kind of knot would be used to tie these ends
View attachment 1585797
Those finger slings use the exact knot shown in the video. Each of the loops is a Lark's Head knot. The difference is that there is a clear piece of tubing used as a cinch to keep the knot from falling apart.

Here is how to make the same kind of finger sling using a shoelace and tubing:

Wire Technology Cable Fashion accessory Electronic device

Tie a simple overhand knot in a doubled shoelace to form a fixed loop.

Headband Fashion accessory Hair accessory

Tighten the knot, then form a symmetrical loop with the knot at the bottom, pull the loop wide and slip a tube over each loop end, on the left and on the right.

Cable Technology Electronic device Wire Tail

A tube slipped over the left loop end.

Rope Knot Fashion accessory Crochet

Feed the lace through the loop to form a Lark's Head knot.

Knot Snake Rope Scaled reptile Reptile

Repeat with the right side to form a symmetrical finger sling with a Lark's Head knot on either side. You'll have to adjust the overhand knot and the loops to find the correct size to fit your fingers and around the bow grip to form a sling that isn't too tight or too loose.

I used some surgical tubing from a stretch band to make the example since I had some handy, but you can use any sufficiently sturdy plastic tube that fits. The surgical tubing is actually a bit too grippy for easy adjustment, so the vinyl tubing used in the commercial sling is a better choice if you have access to some.

One notable difference between the commercial sling and the one in my example is the extra string hanging down. The commercial sling is a spliced loop for compact appearance, however there is no functional difference between the spliced and knotted versions and teaching splicing is beyond the scope of what I want to get into in a quick post.

#12 ·
I am currently shooting the para cord sling now because its summer and it is cooler then the shoelace one even though the shoelace one is more confortable, it's just that my fingers get warmer with it. I made the shoelace sling on the sowing machine so it's really strong leaving 2cm at each end of the sling to be to bring the lace through, the para cord sling was just a knot and i melted the knot together. Fairly simple.

Technology Electronic device Wire Fashion accessory Cable

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.