Archery Talk Forum banner

Custom Grips for Olympic Recurves

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  jmvargas 
#1 ·
My daughter shoots JOAD & FITA with a PSE X-Factor Riser and I'm needing to replace her grip. Current grip is a Jager Best 2.0 grip that came on the riser but it's large for her hand right now and her coach recommended we switch it out to something that fits better. Now that Loesch is no longer making grips, are there any other options out there currently for the PSE risers? Only things that come to mind immediately is ordering a Jager without the pad or contacting PSE to try and get a hold of a stock grip that would fit on the X-Factor. Thanks for any help or recommendations.

#3 ·
Get hold of PSE's customer service (phone number on their web site at the bottom of the page). The grip for the X-Appeal is the same as the X-Factor. I'm sure they'll be able to drop you one out in short order. They really are prety good grips, shaped about right. I do a little moding to them occasionally.....mostly thinning at the throat with a dremmel and sanding drum, but they really are good grips and need little help.

#4 ·
None of the grips mentioned will be any smaller than the one she already has. That's the problem. I agree - contact Paul and see what he can do.

#5 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. Little did I know that I would be on the training path to becoming a professional equipment manager when my daughter started archery. Must say though that hunting for parts and fiddling with the equipment is a very enjoyable part-time job, even if the monetary pay sucks :teeth:

Jim

#6 ·
unfortunately, archery can turn into a very equipment-intensive sport. Frustrating for young archers, for sure.

John

#11 ·
Since you are in Wimberly, Texas - contact Viking Archery at Canyon Lake, Texas. Scott Whiteford makes custom grips and made a nice one for my Bernadini. I think this is his number - 832-475-4433 or call the store, 830-227-5171.

#13 ·
You say that the 2.0 grip on that bow is a bit too big for your daughter. All of the 2.0 grips are pretty minimalized to the essential pressure points but if you want, you could order one of those grips without the palm pad and remove material from it to get it where you want it. The resin cast grips are very easy to alter. Plastic has no grain and conforms to the axiom "Have chainsaw file, will travel!" Since the general shape is already there, it should be easy to pare it down rather than start from scratch.

Paul

#15 ·
This seems like a good place for a quick preliminary review of the Jager Best 2.0. Ordered my Jager Best 2.0 a couple weeks ago and got it a few days ago. No problems or delays with the order or delivery.

I ordered the Black/silver swirl with a black palm pad. Whatever material Paul is using is surprisingly light weight and easily worked with a file - I suspect that's not a coincidence. Often products with some "heft" give an impression of inherent quality; I'm glad Paul resisted that temptation in favor of a light weight handle that allows the archer to apply weight (or avoid it) where they want it.

I was surprised how small the handle is. I'm 6' and of medium build; I'd say I have "medium" sized hands. I've used the stock Hoyt plastic handle that's shipping on the current Horizon risers, the stock wood handle on the Best Zenit, and a handful of PSE wood risers. The Jager is noticeably smaller than the Hoyt. Upon comparison to the Best Zenit handle, they are very similar with the exception of the flat cutout on the palm side, and the 2.0 is a little lower. But that palm cutout is enough to make it feel considerably smaller. I'm not familiar with the history of the Best 2.0 handle or the Italian company, but the similarities between the handles left me wondering if them sharing the name "best" was more than coincidence.

When shooting the bow, the reasoning behind the size and shape become immediately obvious. This is the most "positive" or "defined" grip I've used. The narrow angular shape creates a contact patch that is very defined - you immediately feel EXACTLY where the grip is in your hand. It's also centrally aligned with the riser presumably to minimize torque. In fact, the palm portion of the contact patch is barely wider than the bare riser itself. It creates a very secure and confident feel.

I've played with modifying past grips with two separate and distinct goals in mind - to make them have a more exact feel in the hand, or to automatically and consistently put the hand in the "correct" position. The Best 2.0 excels at that "exact" feeling. It does little to "correctly" position the hand for the archer, other than provide the feedback a knowledgeable archer needs to get it precisely there every time.

I've only shot about 100 arrows with the Best 2.0 so far, but I have to say I find it excellent so far and I'm looking forward to many more ends with this grip. Well done.

Gene

#16 ·
i have had (5) X-factors pass thru my hands and still have 2..

i have ordered several Jager grips starting from when they first came out in several configurations--ie--low/medium/thicker/slimmer...

i also have small hands--cadet small golf glove--and Jager grips are the best .....for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.