Thread: Target Arrows & Low Poundage

Target Arrows & Low Poundage

So I just bought my wife a bow. She has absolutely no interest in shooting anything but paper and foam (indoor and outdoor). She watches me shoot spots and 3D and has taken an interest in it.

I want to give her every possible advantage to keep her spirits high as she learns - and I believe good equipment is key to confident shooting.

I am completely baffled by what arrows to get her at her low DL (25.5) and DW (~40#). Looking for something in the 22 or 23 series if possible.

Shaft?
    Shaft length?
    Tip Weight?

Bow setup:
    Hoyt Vicxen
    #3 Cam.5 Plus (DL and DW above)
    Limb Driver
    B-Stinger Stabs (weights TBD)
    Release TBD (leaning to thumb trigger)

Any and all feedback greatly appreciated!
    OK Archery DST40
    AlphaMax 35 - "Deer Shiner" Blue Fusion

Reaper Custom Strings

I will double check on OT2 tonight, but you could go with Easton Axis 600, 100Gr points, cut to 28" to start. Should get you in the ballpark, reasonably priced. See how they group. If that seems a little too soft, cut an inch off and see how they group.

Thanks! Let me know what OT2 comes up with.
    OK Archery DST40

Reaper Custom Strings

check out the Black Eagle Challenger Ultra lightweight shafts. They are made for 30 to 50 draw weight bows. I am thinking of getting these for my wife for indoor spots.
    Darton bows, Extreme Stabilization stabilizers, Bodoodle rest, Black Eagle arrows, Sword sights, 60X strings.

I think an Easton Fatboy 500, cut at 25" with a 80 grain tip would do great. Might be a little stiff, but maybe Praeger could run the numbers on those too.
    Lien2

OT2 says you'll need something in the 600-650 range. Here are some options:
    ST Axis Jr (.650 spine) w/90 Gr point, cut to 28"
    Epic ST 600 w/120 Gr point, cut to 28.5"
    Gold Tip Ultralite Entrada ULE 600, w/120 Gr, 28.5"

I'll stop there, as most 600 arrow 28.5" w/120 Gr point will fall into the good, tunable zone.

darton3d

check out the Black Eagle Challenger Ultra lightweight shafts. They are made for 30 to 50 draw weight bows. I am thinking of getting these for my wife for indoor spots.
    The Black Eagle Challenger Ultra Light arrows are 500 spine, and would need 200 Gr points. Good arrow, but would be slow on your wife's bow.

Lien2

I think an Easton Fatboy 500, cut at 25" with a 80 grain tip would do great. Might be a little stiff, but maybe Praeger could run the numbers on those too.
    That would be crazy stiff, the Fatboy 500 would also need to be 28.5" w/200 Gr points.

Pick a 600-650 spine ( I didn't include the expensive target arrows which are all available in that range, but if you are willing to drop the coin, pick your favorite brand) and build as noted above.
    A 500 spine arrow is not a good choice because with the amount of weight you'd need to get it to be in correct dynamic spine will result in an FOC over 20%. Nose heavy and slow.

With typical vane and nock, you'll end up with a 365 Gr arrow, about 195 fps out of your wife's bow.

AA says 650/700 spine with an 80 grain point for a 26" arrow.
    Charter Member LOFT Archery Team
    Vantage Elite +
    Sureloc, Britesite Protuner, X Terminator Stabilizers
    60X Strings, Truball Sweet Spot, Thurman Scopes, VAP Bullets

I've gone the expensive route of finding which works best...I've found that in some instances, what the software says will work great...don't work great.

That said...my wife's setup would be similar to what would work well for your wife. I tried to go the fat arrow route to help with line cutting...and just couldn't find anything that really grouped well...everything was too stiff; would be okay at short distances but anything beyond 20 yards was wide open as to where the arrow would go. I put her in some Gold Tip Ultralite 600s with 80 grain glue in tips...badda bing...can shoot lights out with those. Fat shafts are nice if you can get them to group...other wise, precision works best. Another good shaft to look into would be the Easton Carbon Ones....these use to be the Redline shafts...wife had some of those in 690 spine that worked really great but Easton dropped the Redlines and that's about when I began the quest to find her something else.

My son use to shoot the redlines also. we ended up shooting Epic ST 600 and I cant remember what wt point and thay shot good at 40#. I may have a few left aroung the shop. I will check.
    (Hunting) 07 Guardian HD Grey –Beamen ICS hunters, QAD, ProLine Strings.
    (3D) 2013 Bowtech CPXL – GT 22's, Axcel 3ooo with Black Eagle scope, BoDoodle Pro rest, ProLine Strings, Doinker Avancee

I'm older than dirt and shoot light poundage (38 # @ 27 3/4") . Trust me when I say that the VAP's are the greatest thing for light poundage since sliced bread and I've tried many of them. Been shooting them for almost three years. I refer to them as the poor man's X-10
    Vantage Elite +

Some gold tip series 22 shafts would be nice, you can build them pretty light and they are just bigger than a hunting arrow. Don't baby her, if she is a real archer then she will take off and enjoy the sport for years and if she isn't then let it go.

I agree with "unclegus" and the VAP shafts. She could probably use the 600 which are about 5.5 gpr and an 80 grain point. To go to the fat shafts you will have a heck of a time trying to tune them as they are quite stiff especially that short.
    Team PSE, PSE Militia, DS Advantage sight Team FeatherVision

I like the Gold Tip series, they are very adjustable. The shaft lengths and weights, you should experiment with. I ended up pretty much with the points just slightly past the front of the riser. I shoot indoors 5spot with x-cutters. 190gr up front, 4 in feathers. If I were shooting 3d I would go with GT 22's. For field archery ultralights. The entradas are reasonable, and good shafts. For anything other that 5 spot I would look into the various vanes available. Everyone has their favorite, so you will end up experimenting. I think the correct balance of the arrow to your wifes bow setup, and shooting style will determine what she ends up with. The real fine tuning will come once you have everything else right.
    What's a Sailor doing in Oklahoma?
    Hoyt PCEXL, Doinker/Easton Stabs, Easton Fatboys/ACC's
    Hamskea Rest, CR Apex Scope, FeatherVision Lens
    Strings-Ray knight, Davis Sight, Stan SX2

I expect she will shoot indoors (20 yards) at paper 70% of the time (at least initially). Hence the reason for the fatter shaft.

I ordered some VAPs for her last night if she wants to shoot outdoors or past 20yds.
    OK Archery DST40

Reaper Custom Strings

If you want to take the budget route try easton xx75's I shoot a 40# DW 29" dl using 2213's full length with 150 gr. glue in points 4" bohning Killers for 520 gr. arrow with a .5 spine and 8.9% foc they group quite well for me indoors and a doz. for less than 100$ built out ready to go.
    Last edited by Scojen; February 7th, 2013 at 10:38 AM. Reason: sp.
    Rule #1 K.I.S.S.

1976 Bear Tamerlane Victor (retired)
    2001 Mathews Conquest Pro/lite, Killian Checkit sight
    Easton 2213's, CR Scope 4x lense.

If it's just indoors, I gave a young lady who shoots 25# and has a 25 1/2" draw a half dozen 27" xringer HV's with 80 grain points to try just because they're so light, and she is shooting them thru a Heartbreaker with a .008 blade and they fly extremely well. I know I couldn't believe it.
    Vantage Elite +