Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixing camo patterns?

Mixing camo patterns?

Just got into archery and aim to deer hunt next season. So far all of my hunting clothes are Realtree AP but I was still looking for a lighter early season jacket for bow hunting next season. Found one I really like priced really good at closeout but they only have it in Mossy Oak Break Up Infinity. Since bow hunting is done at much closer ranges than gun hunting, anybody think it really makes a difference to the deer if you have mixed camo patterns? Anybody ever had a deer get spooked like this? I don't want to sound dumb asking this but I've never been within bow range of a deer, always sat in a blind with a rifle 100 yds from deer. I live in NC and hunt mixed oaks and pine trees.

You can wear whatever you want and as long as you're 20 feet off the ground it won't make a bit of difference. No matter what you're wearing they will pick up on your movement before anything else.

I personally think that mixing camo patterns is a great idea as it breaks up your outline better than one camo pattern.
    Team Exit Wounds
    2014-2015 ArcheryTalk Deer Contest

#1 Florida State Seminoles
    Defending National Champions

Oh , and I like to be on the ground and in their face.
    Team Exit Wounds
    2014-2015 ArcheryTalk Deer Contest

#1 Florida State Seminoles
    Defending National Champions

Doesn't matter at all. Movement matters the most.
    Xpedition X-ring VII-Prime Impact-Strother Infinity-Strother Wrath SHO
    Prime Shift-Elite GT500-Elite Judge
    Co-Owner - Catfish Customs - Custom string, sling, arrow and kolorfusion work.
    Top quality strings at working man prices! Call/text anytime 616-970-5355

Mixing camo patterns?

Nothing wrong with mixing camps to match your surroundings an some of the better spot and stalk hunters do it quite often. Including chuck Adams. I wore nothing but hand me down mismatched camo until I was about 23. Never had any issues killing deer. Not going to lie though these days I like all my camo to match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    Lethal Injection Archery

i shot one of my bucks this year at 21 yards, in tan khaki's and a dark grey hoodie. My climber was only 6 feet off the ground due to the high winds that day. Camo patterns are all about $$$$.

Man just wear your birthday suite. It was used for years and they never had a problem.

Hell yes it matters. i was wearing a mossy oak shirt and realtree pants one day and this huge 250" monster spotted me from 100 yards away, and i didnt move at all. Deer dont want mixed camo in the woods

It really doesn't matter. Gerry Blair once called in a pack of javelina wearing a Santa suit just to show that it was movement and not camo that mattered.

I used to gun hunt sitting on the ground. I tried find pants that matched the leaves and a coat that matched the trees and undergrowth. It sounded like a good plan. But I really don't think it mattered.

Doesn't matter, as most have said above, it all comes down to movement. I've wore hand me down cammo for years without any issues. But the one thing I do say I love is a good gillie suit. I found one as Bass Pro on clearance and I love it. Wear what ever you want under it to stay warm or even stay cool and it doesn't matter. My gf wears black ski pants under the gillie suit pants and she kills more deer than me. But I suspect there are other things going on besides the pants...ha
    Creed, QAD HDX, SlickTricks attached to my Beman's- Deadly Combination.

Wearing camo is overrated. Just be still. I have killed as much game wearing blue jeans and a plain colored t-shirt as I have all decked out in camo. Camo is a huge marketing ploy, and it has worked well for camo manufacturers.

Deer dont give a rats butt about what you are wearing....
    Liberalism is a mental disorder

Little secret, the absolute BEST camo pattern is sitting still! Move when they are not looking or head is hidden or they are distracted and they'll never pick you off. That being said they will get you!

Turkeys on the other hand it does seem to matter.

Its good to see a lot of guys starting to see the light about camo. To some extent, the hunting industry is all about marketing and selling product more so than actually helping improve success.

OP, since your new to the sport, don't get caught up in the idea that money will buy you success...it won't in most cases and you will be much better off in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by hidden danger View Post
    I personally think that mixing camo patterns is a great idea as it breaks up your outline better than one camo pattern.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by hidden danger View Post
    Oh , and I like to be on the ground and in their face.
    And agreed!

SCFox

Have killed plenty of deer with mixed camo. Doesnt matter. Like everyone else said just make sure you're high enough in the tree and you limit your movement...
    Things and Stuff. I need a Navy Seal bow!

I shot a buck this year wearing Blaze Orange at about 17 yds. He walked right up to me, and never saw me 'til I released.
    Pearson Z-32, QAD, Truglo
    Martin Pantera, G5 Expert
    (wife's)Martin Bengal, Whisker Biscuit, Truglo 1 Pin

[QUOTE=dblungem;1066455935]Its good to see a lot of guys starting to see the light about camo. To some extent, the hunting industry is all about marketing and selling product more so than actually helping improve success.

OP, since your new to the sport, don't get caught up in the idea that money will buy you success...it won't in most cases and you will be much better off in the long run.[/QUOTE

This is some very good advice. I could not have said it any better myself.

I hunt in mixed hardwoods forest. Mixed camo might just blend in better Turkey hunting, I prefer to mix camo patterns. I just buy what I find at a good price and haven't had too many deer or hunters complain. Now for my wife, she picked up on my camo not matching right off the bat!
    '13 PSE DNA 30" 60# 315 fps, Gold Tip Pro Hunter 5575
    09 Elite GT500 29.6" 66# 307 fps -Stage 1 Strings - Tater Tuned!
    Maxima Hunter 350 - Blue Streak Selects 350 Summit Treestands
    Slick Trick Mags, Treelimb Premium Quiver,
    "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

As I read some of these replies, I just have to laugh. Do some of you know how to hang a stand and how side and back cover in a tree work?

Hell yes it matters. i was wearing a mossy oak shirt and realtree pants one day and this huge 250" monster spotted me from 100 yards away, and i didnt move at all. Deer dont want mixed camo in the woods
    TheMidwestHunter.com

I might try this set up. I got the idea from another thread.

treestand.jpg
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." ~Unknown~
    Lowering standards increases success rates!!
    Lefty Elite Answer 27.5" DL, 62# DW (Red Speed Mods) 426grain Victory VAP w/SS Penetrator FOC 17% . That's right I'm a lefty.

Cool thanks for all the great replies and great info. I laughed my butt off about the guy wearing a santa suit to call in javelinas haha.

Quote Originally Posted by dblungem View Post
    Its good to see a lot of guys starting to see the light about camo. To some extent, the hunting industry is all about marketing and selling product more so than actually helping improve success.

OP, since your new to the sport, don't get caught up in the idea that money will buy you success...it won't in most cases and you will be much better off in the long run.
    Avoid buying the spray scent killers too. Wear clean insulated rubber boots (I keep mine in a plastic bag and put them on right before I enter the woods and take them off right after I exit the woods) for trekking in and out and always keep the wind in your face.
    "The Carnivores will feed when launched from the Creed"

I've killed my two biggest deer in mossy oak pants and a military digital jacket. One on the ground one in the stand. Camo pattern is way down on the list of priorities for deer hunting. Wind direction is number one and being still is number two. Also hitting what your aiming at is kinda important too...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast