Thread: Arrows fishtail?

Arrows fishtail?

I just finished building some arrows and fletched 3 of them, shot them and noticed that they are fish tailing. I was wandering if there is anything else besides center shot/hand torque that causes arrows to fishtail. I know I torque my bow because I have tried bareshaft tuning and that doesn't lie. So that is what I think is causing this to happen. Or maybe it has something to do with the arrows? Just wanted to here what the folks here on AT think. Thanks!

"Spend more time shooting less time nitpicking you're shooting!"
    Hoyt VE+
    Tru ball
    B stinger
    Carbon Express

Did you spin test your shafts? Could be a faulty shaft.
    Mathews Solocam Z7 Xtreme, Monster 7.0, Conquest Triumph, MR6, Creed, 2 MR5'S, Drenalin, Gold Tip, B-Stinger, Axion, Truball
    Hough's Archery-Pro Staff
    Bohning Staff Shooter
    Truball Staff Shooter

Re: Arrows fishtail?

Are you sure you aren't getting fletching contact on your rest? Are you spined correctly?

Team Whack- Sees NoDeer
    Team Whack 'Em & Stack 'Em- Sees No Deer
    SPIKEPRESS-http://www.archerytooling.com

how do you know it fishtailing? need arrow info, bow specs how your shooting ect.
    Hoyt Vantage X8, NAP rest, HHA sight, TRU Ball Max Pro 4

Like NoDeer said, the first thing I'd look at would be fletching contact with the rest or cable. Next would be to check spine, then bow specs and tune. Bow torque can also cause issues with arrow flight as well. Go down this checklist and be systematic and you will solve the issue. Good luck!
    Mathews Switchback XT and Switchback S2
    HHA Optimizer DS 5500 and OL 5019
    Ripcord Code Red Arrow rests
    Torqueless Grips
    NASP Instructor

torqueing will do it ever time!
    curtis
    martin onza 3 , rytera nemesis
    pearson legend , pearson advantage, pearson marxman

I think it is torque because they are CX250 at 50lbs 28" 275gr, they spin beautifully. I do get fletching contact on the right side of my prong but I can never get rid of it center shot is on, about 1/8" high nock point, #8 blade and still geting contact. Will bow torque cause fletching contact?
    Hoyt VE+
    Tru ball
    B stinger
    Carbon Express

Quote Originally Posted by Jette View Post
    I think it is torque because they are CX250 at 50lbs 28" 275gr, they spin beautifully. I do get fletching contact on the right side of my prong but I can never get rid of it center shot is on, about 1/8" high nock point, #8 blade and still geting contact. Will bow torque cause fletching contact?
    It could. Have you tried turning your nocks slightly to reorient you vanes? Also maybe a little overspined? A CX 250 is 400 spine, correct? Have you shot through paper?

Team Whack- Sees NoDeer

I know my bow did that for awhile when I backed the limbs out to 60 lbs. Try maxing out your poundage and see what happens. If not id say fletching contact.

Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Indoor rig I presume? Put feather on it and the issues are gone if its fletching contact. Unless your shooting a biscuit for hunting or a dropaway for 3d/indoor I always will use feathers.
    2013 Assassin-hunting
    2010 SWAT- 3d
    2006 Old Glory-spots

Quote Originally Posted by NoDeerInIowa View Post
    It could. Have you tried turning your nocks slightly to reorient you vanes? Also maybe a little overspined? A CX 250 is 400 spine, correct? Have you shot through paper?

Team Whack- Sees NoDeer
    I have shot bareshafts through paper with a 1" high left tear. I didn't shoot with vanes through paper yet but I am assuming it will shoot a bullet hole because nothing on my bow has changed and my last arrows had contact as well and they shot a bullet hole. But who knows! Tomorrow I am going to shoot through paper.
    Hoyt VE+
    Tru ball
    B stinger
    Carbon Express

About 2 weeks ago I did fool with my yoke cables added and removed some twists. Well I took them out and put them back because they did not help my problem. Well I or the person doing it might have left a twist in the right side there is no cam lean but I don't think it was the original configuration. I am saying this because it was right after this that I noticed some fish tailing/ corkscrewing in my old arrows which had not been doing before. I didn't pay attention to it because I was very tired at the time and figured I was torquing the bow out of fatigue. Well there is no way I am torquing the bow bad enough to cause this much fish tailing could it be the yoke cables are miss configured that is causing this? (The arrows shoot a high left tear from about 5 feet) sorry this post is so long but this might answer my question! Thanks! " I very we'll could be torquing the bow but I have been shooting the same setup for about 2 years and am very familiar with it and don't feel that is the problem just wandering if it could be the yoke cables causing it"
    Hoyt VE+
    Tru ball
    B stinger
    Carbon Express

It seems to me, after you say that your yokes got messed with, you need to start tuning again. Also, wouldn't a high left tear indicate an overspine condition?

Team Whack- Sees NoDeer

Quote Originally Posted by NoDeerInIowa View Post
    It seems to me, after you say that your yokes got messed with, you need to start tuning again. Also, wouldn't a high left tear indicate an overspine condition?

Team Whack- Sees NoDeer
    Looks like that is what I will have to do. If it ain't broke don't fix it I tried to fix it, but at least I know what the problem is and I can fix it. As far as the spine it is a little high CX 250@50lbs 28" I will probably add a little weight to the front and hopefully fix that as the tear is not that big maybe 1/4-1/2" high left. Thanks for he advice!
    Hoyt VE+
    Tru ball
    B stinger
    Carbon Express