Thread: An arrow length vs draw length question....

An arrow length vs draw length question....

So I'm new into archery after about a 20 year break, so basically new all together. When I bought my bow from a guy here he sold me a few arrows, they are roughly 27.5" we'll call it. Fast forward to me trying to support the local bow shop, I go there to pickup some new arrows and decided not to take any of my others with me, I wanted their advice on spine/length/etc. They tell me that since my draw length is 28" then they like to add 1" to the arrows and cut them at 29". Quite the difference.

Well I find out that they screwed up the installation of my QAD HDX rest, so I'm losing faith in their knowledge, and looking around I see that not many people are shooting arrows that are an inch over their draw length.

So what do you all shoot? Here's a picture of my current 29" arrow and another with a draw length indicator arrow. The picture of the 29" arrow is at a slight angle, so it's even farther past the riser then in looks. Bow is an Elite Answer, 28" draw, 60#, QAD-HDX rest if it matters. In the picture with the length indicator arrow, for reference, my rest is right about 24.5" on the arrow. Thank's for any advice.

Are u at full draw in the second pic. Looks to me that you are closer to a 26" draw length............
    14 FAKTOR 34 - 12 ALPHA ELITE - 11 ALPHABURNER -
    04 FRANKEN-TEC

My DL is 26.5" and my arrow length is usually right at 27'.
    Mathews Solocam Z7 Xtreme, Monster 7.0, Conquest Triumph, MR6, Creed, 2 MR5'S, Drenalin, Gold Tip, B-Stinger, Axion, Truball
    Hough's Archery-Pro Staff
    Bohning Staff Shooter
    Truball Staff Shooter

I shoot a 28" draw with 28" arrows. Now, I went to smaller cam (27") and am gonna have my arrows cut down an inch. Personally, I dont like the broadhead on top of my arrow shelf.
    Fur: '11 Elite Pure (Max-1)
    Foam: '12 Elite Pure (ninja)
    Indoors: '12 Elite Tour (ninja)
    B-Stinger, Gold Tip, TRU Ball/Axcel, Trophy Taker

Quote Originally Posted by brushdog View Post
    Are u at full draw in the second pic. Looks to me that you are closer to a 26" draw length............
    arrow shows 26.5 but add 1.75" for draw length.
    Fur: '11 Elite Pure (Max-1)
    Foam: '12 Elite Pure (ninja)
    Indoors: '12 Elite Tour (ninja)
    B-Stinger, Gold Tip, TRU Ball/Axcel, Trophy Taker

How tall are you for a 26.5 draw? Im 5-10 and shoot 27.

It just depends on what you are looking for. For maximum speed (and minimum arrow weight), you could shorten it up a lot from those pictures if you wanted to. Lots of people run arrow lenghts as much as 2" shorter than their DL if they have the rest set up for that. The spine is also affected by length, so you can adjust for that too if you need to.
    Hoyt Carbon Matrix Plus
    PSE Supra with UF cams
    Prime Centroid LR
    -Have also owned: Bowtech, PSE, Bear, Jennings, and and old bow I can't remember the maker anymore (not a brand snob)

Remember Draw Length is measured from nock point to a point 1 3/4" in front of the deepest part of grip. So it looks like she is at 28"draw length.

Some people that shoot bigger fixed blade broad heads need to place the broad head in front of riser for clearance and or bow hand finger protection. Some people cut the arrow length to help tune arrow spine, some people cut them as close as possible to rest, say just 1/2" longer than needed.
    Contender Elite RKT Cam Ray Knight Special 63/30 1/2, 355grn Flatliner 212MPH,Hogg-It 7pin
    09' Martin Bengal 60/30 355grn 187MPH

I am a 29 inch draw and shoot either 27 1/8 in shafts or 27.5 shafts so with the knock they are about 28 inches long, The two important things are performance and safety, you don't want a arrow so short that if it falls off the shaft it could get into your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by stork64 View Post
    It just depends on what you are looking for. For maximum speed (and minimum arrow weight), you could shorten it up a lot from those pictures if you wanted to. Lots of people run arrow lenghts as much as 2" shorter than their DL if they have the rest set up for that. The spine is also affected by length, so you can adjust for that too if you need to.
    This is true.

But I cut my 3D arrows longer than my draw length because I use them for hunting too. I like my broadheads just a little bit forward of my bow hand. So as long as spine isn't an issue the extra length doesn't hurt you except for a very little bit of speed and FOC.

Bet those 27.5 arrows look good when you draw them... so at back berger hole it is at 25.5... so add 1 3/4 for dl. If you gonna hunt with broadheads you want it out past front of riser away from those fingers for safety. If only fp and target shooting then arrow could be shorter.
    '12 Pulse, Blk/AP Snow 60/30 Anchor Sight, T.R. Micro Alpha V5, LD Pro V, Paradigm SOS, Ktech SS/Vbar...3D. '09 GT 500, AP camo, 60/29.5 T.R.V3, LD Pro-V, Ktech string stop, Doinker Dish Anchor Sight, Pro Line threads. Critter Gitter! Accunocks/FOBS!

Did I miss it? or what spine are the arrows?
    Could make a difference when cutting them.

I cut my arrows to where I get the best performance.
    The Original Bling Sling. www.hnsarchery.com
    I make the Bling Sling
    NASP "Homeschool Team" Leader
    Level 2, USA Archery Instructor

That shows a TRUE draw length of approx 25.75", which means his AMO DL is 27.5"

There is no set in stone formula for length.....especially now that most of todays bows have riser cutouts big enough for broadheads.
    The only good rule is make sure you have enough arrow length in front of your rest, and consider things like you might want to tweak DL, change rests, how close do you want BH's to your hand, etc.
    The thing to take advantage of is optimizing your arrow spine......cut length based on optimal spine.

So 1" longer than AMO DL is not necessary, and longer than most people cut. If I were to pick an arbitrary rule of thumb, it would be 1" in front of berger (same as .75" less than AMO DL, on most bows)......but I focus on optimal spine first.

Also for a new person that may adjust their draw length either longer or shorter, having the arrows longer always means you can trim them later. If you cut them perfect to just barely fit then they may end up to short. Better a little long at first.
    Contender Elite RKT Cam Ray Knight Special 63/30 1/2, 355grn Flatliner 212MPH,Hogg-It 7pin
    09' Martin Bengal 60/30 355grn 187MPH

Personally I use a Trophy Taker arrow rest I shoot a 28.5 inch draw my arrow length is 27.25 and my arrows fly great never had a problem shooting a short arrow or a longer arrow I shoot my target arrows with only a 1/4 inch of clearance. I use the same rest it is full containment like yours if you put your fork up on your QAD rest then have them cut your arrows 1/2 inch in front unless you do not feel safe or an inch so you have adequate broadhead clearance fro. Your hand.

I have a similar setup on both my Answer and Assassin. 28" DL and 60-62# DW. My arrows are 0.400 spine (GT 5575's) cut to 26.25" end of insert to inside of nock. Tunes fine even if I crank up the DW to 65-66#. BTW I shoot a whisker biscuit so I have minimal worries about broadheads falling off the rest near my hand.
    Elite Answer, 65lb 28"DL, VaporTrail Strings, GoldTip XT 5575, Montec 100gr.
    Pick your spot, let 'er rip!

The arrow lenght depends on several things. draw lenght, setup, rest, type of shooting and most important thing is the shooter.
    Both of my bows are 29" draw and same rest, my hunting arrows are 28 1/2" long and 3D arrows are 27" long.
    I don't like broad heads that close to my hand. 3D arrows are 1/4" past the rest. Just how I see it any way.
    3D Bow Open Class:2014 Hoyt Pro Comp Elite FX Jet Black, 60 lb, Spiral Cam
    3D Bow Hunter Class:2013 Hoyt Carbon Matrix G3 Pearl White, 60 lb, RKT Cam
    Spot Bow: 2013 Hoyt Alpha Elite Red Fusion, 50 lb, RKT Cam
    Hunting Bow: 2012 Hoyt Carbon Element Blackout, 65 lb, RKT Cam
    Something Different Bow: Hoyt Buffalo Recurve 45 lb

Quote Originally Posted by XForce Girl View Post
    Did I miss it? or what spine are the arrows?
    Could make a difference when cutting them.

I cut my arrows to where I get the best performance.

She's got it right. Correct arrow spine trumps all else. If that ain't right, ain't nothing else gonna be right, esp with fixed blade broadheads.

Generally speaking, for most of my bows, they spined out well with the arrows cut around the same length as my AMO draw length.

I have cut them a tad shorter but seldom longer. Many people like the end of their arrow to be even with the front of the riser/arrow shelf for safety reasons, or better broadhead clearance.

IMO, it sure looks like your arrow is pretty long and I would have to question it as being the proper spine.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

I have 30" DL. Recurves, I shoot 31" arrows. Compound, depends on what the shot is goign to be. 30" or 29". I am not a 'speed freak', so, the longer arrows I tune for work fine for me and get me nice groups.
    Unabashed Stick Bender - Samick Polaris, Samick Sage
    PSE Stinger 3G Skullworks #60
    Golden Eagle Falcon
    ProLine Point Break New Wave Tsunami Target Bow

Thanks for the comments. I have a hunch that I was borderline on spine stiffness and they didn't have the lower one so they error'd long to make them work. Gold tip XT Hunters with 7595 shafts, I think the bow was maybe maxed at 62#, 28" would have been too short for those.

Thinking I'll get some Carbon Injexion's from Eders and make them 28" for hunting.

I changed my mind from the post above already, likely go 27" since I'm using the QAD rest, should be long enough for sure.

Drawing your bow without a full weight arrow is asking for trouble. Put some points on just in case...

My draw length is 29" and my arrow length is 27.5 " about one 1" past my arrow rest.
    Parker Sidekick XP 40# DW, 26" DL
    WB, Easton Epic 500, Scott Wildcat

Quote Originally Posted by Dangasaur View Post
    Drawing your bow without a full weight arrow is asking for trouble. Put some points on just in case...
    Good "point" and I appreciate the safety tip.

draw your bow, find out how far it is to your rest, add an inch to that length. then spine your shafts to that length at the draw weight you shoot. use point weight to fine tune spine.