After seeing the burlap bull target in another thread I decided to try to make a tom target. Not cost effective I guess unless you just happen to have a few hours to kill and a bunch of stuff already on hand to work with. I'm happy with it.
In case anyone is interested here's what I used:
Core is a 1/4 of a shot up blob target.
The leg stand is a 1/2" plastic pipe hammered into the core.
Ditto for the neck and tail.
Head, an extra tom head from a "007 transformer" decoy.
Everything rounded out with plastic grocery bags and wrapped with used shrink wrap, a piece of shipping tape or two.
I had already gotten the body formed before I thought about the camera. The body is a slab of old blob target running parallel with the back line with another smaller section for the front edge of the breast. This picture shows leftovers...
Wrapped and on it's way.
Then I used plastic bird wire to wrap the body and secured it with small tie wraps.
Next I used burlap blind material with a big needle and string to encase it all. I also added another layer of plastic bird wire over the target area to hopefully make it more durable.
Finally, I hauled it out and painted it.
Looks like 3-4" penetration and normal "blob" effort to remove arrows.
Other than time I have $0 in this thing having already had all the stuff left over from other projects. Yeah, I took the time to photo the deal so I could show it off if it worked.