Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trophy Ridge react sight review (video)

Trophy Ridge react sight review (video)

This sight is amazing. I have never been able to shoot very well over 40 yards. After I got this one set up I was wadding arrows with it at any distance I wanted to shoot.

www.ikesoutdoors.com Bow and Product Reviews, How-to videos and more
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ikesoutdoors

Nice review! Thanks a lot for sharing ! I need one of those sights! Got a camo one you want to sell?

Another great review! I am surely getting one of these! Hopefully I will get some better shots at 50-60!

Spot on review. This technology is for real and I like you Ike, have found myself a helluva lot more confident at those 50 and 60 yard shots. Pins are dead on and all the guesswork is done for you. Just a heads up, the sight is made of ballistic copolymer material and not aluminum. Supposed to be stronger yet lighter. Build quality seems fantastic. I guess time will tell how it holds up but I honestly have no doubts about this sight.
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30 Xtra 65/28
    Axcel Armortech HD Vision Pro
    Hoyt QAD HDX
    6.5 Fuse Carbon Blade
    Easton daTorch 330 w/Muzzy Trocar heads

I ordered mine an hour before I saw this review! That calmed my nerves a little and assured me I made the right choice! Any suggestions on how far out I want to screw it in? How is the pin size at 50-60 yds

I put mine in the last set of hole making it as far out as possible but that is just me. The deer I was shooting at was an old beat up Glendel full rut so it's a pretty big target. The pins out to 60 were fine on it. I could still see the target without it being completely covered. I shot the 3D course we have setup and even on the small delta targets at 40 the pin size was good.

Looks like that bow throws a mean arrow! Good combination.

It tuned out really nice. The arrows are flying like a dart.

First off I do not understand why everyone keeps saying the smart pin technology is new. Trophy ridge has the exact same technology on the Judge sight two years ago. With that said, I have shot bow the Trophy Ridge Judge and the React sights and here is my opinion…

First off the technology does work, and the sight in general is a very well built sight, but there are a couple of things I am not crazy about, and remember this is just my opinion. The first thing is the fiber optic colors. I am not a big fan of the green, green, red, green, green color configuration. To me it’s just too easy to confuse yardage pins in the heat of the moment bow hunting. Another thing I may be nit picking about is the pin size. I prefer a .010 for 50 + yard shots and the pins are not interchangeable on the react sight. The last thing I do not like about the sight is that there are no 2nd or 3rd axis adjustments. And as a tree stand hunter 2nd and 3rd axis adjustments are a must have on my sights.

The last thing I want to mention from an ethical standpoint and again this is just my opinion, if you are not comfortable shooting 40-60 yards in a hunting situation I would not use this sight in a hunting situation until you become comfortable shooting at those distances. Don't just trust the sight, trust your ability.
    Mathews Chill R - 26.5" # 70
    QAD Ultra Rest HDX - Axcel Armortech Pro HD - Mathews T-Series Quiver - Axion Limb Damper
    Doinker 10" Platinum Hunter Stabilizer w/ 8" Side Bar - Doinker AOSM and QD's
    Gold Tip XT Hunter

Anodized finish doesn't have to be glossy, it can be a dust or matte finish as well. There is also a anodizing finish some people call hard anodizing known as type 3 anodizing. If it isn't anodized then it's more than likely powder coated.
    12' Hoyt Carbon Element ~Spot-Hogg Hunter, Axion Pulse & Death Grips.

[/B]
    Quote Originally Posted by WhitetailAce View Post
    First off I do not understand why everyone keeps saying the smart pin technology is new. Trophy ridge has the exact same technology on the Judge sight two years ago. With that said, I have shot bow the Trophy Ridge Judge and the React sights and here is my opinion…

First off the technology does work, and the sight in general is a very well built sight, but there are a couple of things I am not crazy about, and remember this is just my opinion. The first thing is the fiber optic colors. I am not a big fan of the green, green, red, green, green color configuration. To me it’s just too easy to confuse yardage pins in the heat of the moment bow hunting. Another thing I may be nit picking about is the pin size. I prefer a .010 for 50 + yard shots and the pins are not interchangeable on the react sight. The last thing I do not like about the sight is that there are no 2nd or 3rd axis adjustments. And as a tree stand hunter 2nd and 3rd axis adjustments are a must have on my sights.

The last thing I want to mention from an ethical standpoint and again this is just my opinion, if you are not comfortable shooting 40-60 yards in a hunting situation I would not use this sight in a hunting situation until you become comfortable shooting at those distances. Don't just trust the sight, trust your ability.
    honest question here.....why are 2nd and 3rd adjustments required for you?

I was considering one of these too. Only thing I don't care for is the lack of different pin colors.

Quote Originally Posted by MjBears57 View Post
    [/B]

honest question here.....why are 2nd and 3rd adjustments required for you?
    Simplest answer is because of the downward shooting angles from a tree stand.

On the React sight your 1st and 2nd axis should be set perfectly by the design of the sight itself. And as long as your first and second axis is set you are good to shoot your bow on a level plain. The third axis is a different story. If third axis is not level and you are shooting on an uphill or downhill angle you are going off target to the right or left. And at 40 yards that left or right difference can be a signifigant amount.

I may not be the best person to explain how third axis leveling works, but I understand how it works. There are some really good threads on AT that discuss third axis and those threads can explain third axis leveling better than I can.
    Mathews Chill R - 26.5" # 70
    QAD Ultra Rest HDX - Axcel Armortech Pro HD - Mathews T-Series Quiver - Axion Limb Damper
    Doinker 10" Platinum Hunter Stabilizer w/ 8" Side Bar - Doinker AOSM and QD's
    Gold Tip XT Hunter

Thanks I will look into it. I know my current spott hogg doesnt have 3rd axis and i shoot well from my treestand. I am going to learn something new today tho!

I'm definitely looking at getting this sight. To me it's not that I don't believe I can confidently shoot 60 yards, it's I don't feel confident in sighting in my pin at that far. I'm relatively new to archery, and I'm unable to tell (only sometimes, less and less every day) when a missed shot is due to incorrect form, last second torque, or an equipment issue.

Being able to fine tune this sight at the closer distances to put you that much closer to the 50 and 60 yard bullseye lets you have the confidence in the sight and work on proper form/release techniques. If one flies for the hills I'll know it was me. Lol. For the quality construction, user friendly nature of the product, and the 5 pin rheostat sight with bubble level it seems like a good investment for $150-160.

--Alex

So do you have to set up your top pin for 20 yards? Or can it be 15 or 25? Wouldn't the pin gaps be the same in those ten yard increments no matter where you started?

Maybe someone can help me here. i have a new hoyt spyder turbo set at 62 pounds maxed out it is a 29 draw and im shooting victory vforce hv v1 arrows cut at 28inches my bow chrono 2 313 i have dialed in at 20 yds and my second pin is right on at 30, does this mean i do not have to use the top dial on my react to set the 40 50 60, i have only had the bow for a few days and have maybe 50 shots thru it . thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by BradMc26 View Post
    So do you have to set up your top pin for 20 yards? Or can it be 15 or 25? Wouldn't the pin gaps be the same in those ten yard increments no matter where you started?
    I'm not entirely sure, but I believe due to the ballistic calculations that went into the construction of this sight that it needs to be 20 yards. I haven't seen anything anywhere else saying you can sight it in at different distances. I think it only works for bows in between 260-340 fps too.

--Alex

Quote Originally Posted by aarontriton View Post
    Maybe someone can help me here. i have a new hoyt spyder turbo set at 62 pounds maxed out it is a 29 draw and im shooting victory vforce hv v1 arrows cut at 28inches my bow chrono 2 313 i have dialed in at 20 yds and my second pin is right on at 30, does this mean i do not have to use the top dial on my react to set the 40 50 60, i have only had the bow for a few days and have maybe 50 shots thru it . thanks in advance.
    If the 20 and 30 are set accurately then no. It could help to try those long distances though to do some fine tuning. You may only be off a half inch at 30 yards and can't really tell, but at 60 it would be a couple. I would suggest trying it at those distances at least to build the confidence you have in your gear and in your ability to make those shots.

--Alex

Ike,

I would be interested in hearing about using this sight for different yardages as well.. any way you could try it for us? I have used 25yds as my first pin for several years and would like to continue that if possible.

Also, any way you could compare your overall feelings about durability and adjustments directly compared to something like a Spot Hogg or Axcel pin sight?

Thanks

Ike it isn't clear to me if you can lock the adjustment nobs. Is there something (second nob) that keeps these from getting bumped and turned?? This sight seems very legit, but I want to be sure it won't move on me after I sight it in.

The video showed a locking nob for the 30-50 yard pins.
    2013 IBO World Champion & 2014 IBO Indoor World Champion
    [B][COLOR="#FF0000"]Stanislawski Archery Products Pro Staff
    Buckeyeporshops.com Prostaff (Apparition Scents, Black Eagle Arrows, Bulldog Targets and .30-06 Outdoors)

There is locking knobs for the 30-60 pins and also up and down and left and right...I just put one on my vector and dialed it in less than 15 mins I will test the durability and the locking mechanisms this upcoming spring turkey in the mountains

I went ahead and bought mine this past weekend. I am very happy with it. Very easy to adjust, very bright, accurate, and it looks good. The only thing I'm not entirely impressed with is the weight. It seems a lot heavier than my previous sight. Granted, that previous sight was very cheap and came on my bow as part of a RTH package, but it was a very noticeable difference. Another way to look at it though is that weight also means its more durable and made out of higher quality materials.

I like it and I plan to definitely keep it on my bow.

--Alex

Quote Originally Posted by timbawolf98 View Post
    Ike,

I would be interested in hearing about using this sight for different yardages as well.. any way you could try it for us? I have used 25yds as my first pin for several years and would like to continue that if possible.

Also, any way you could compare your overall feelings about durability and adjustments directly compared to something like a Spot Hogg or Axcel pin sight?

Thanks
    I would think that based on the concept of the sight, that you could set it for 25,35,45,55,65 instead of setting it for 20,30,40,50,60. The 30-60 yard pins are adjusted after the 20 is set based in arrow drop (ballistic calculations) slower arrows drop more than faster arrows in measured distances.
    HUNT LONG, HUNT HARD and HUNT SAFE

NRA Life Member

Genesis 27:3 Take therefore I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, go to the field and take me some venison.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast