Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Recurve

16 69.57%
  • Longbow

7 30.43%

Thread: Recurve Bow vs. Longbow?

Recurve Bow vs. Longbow?

Hello, I'm a beginner archer and was wondering what you guys think is best: a recurve bow or a long bow? I'm not interested in compound bows and prefer to shoot traditional archery. Anyways, I was looking at the PSE Blackhawk Recurve Bow vs. the PSE Legacy Longbow. Obviously longbows are longer, but do they offer any advantages over recurve bows? And vice versa.

In short, what are the pros and cons of longbows vs. recurve bows?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelJdog View Post
    Hello, I'm a beginner archer and was wondering what you guys think is best: a recurve bow or a long bow? I'm not interested in compound bows and prefer to shoot traditional archery. Anyways, I was looking at the PSE Blackhawk Recurve Bow vs. the PSE Legacy Longbow. Obviously longbows are longer, but do they offer any advantages over recurve bows? And vice versa.

Thanks!
    Same draw weight...

the recurve bow will provide more arrow speed, than the long bow.
    www.nutsandboltsarchery.com
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...=who+wants+dvd
    Send me an email for DVD = $25.00....

alanlui@comcast.net

The recurve is arguably less forgiving of the shooter than the longbow, but faster.

A reflex/defex long bow or a horse bow as they are more stabel. The best thing to do is try a lot of each and go with what feels the best to you.

Which is more accurate and smoother?

A Long bow will be more accurate and way more smoother than a recurve because of it's length and design. I started on recurve, switched to a 64" longbow because they are easy to shoot, comparatively.
    Savage Model 11 - Nikon ProStaff 3X9X40 - 85 grain HSA Sierra HPBT
    Remington 870 Wingmaster 26" WadWizard Supreme Choke
    Mathews Helim - 64lbs - Hogg Father - G5 Archery Expert II

A recurve will give you faster arrow speed, but is less forgiving. Longbows are smoother and a tad more accurate IMO. I shot a 50# Bear Montana at Bass Pro the other day and it was a lot smoother and easier to hold at full draw than my 45# Super Kodiak (recurve).
    2012 Bear Anarchy, 65# @ 29", Spot Hogg Real Deal, TR Revolution rest, 8" B-Stinger Sport Hunter Extreme, GT Velocity XT 300

1970 Bear Super K

i have a few of PSE recurves and i really like them....i have a BEAR RECURVE COLLECTION and they are nice too,but i like the pse's for hunting. the BLACK RAVEN is my favorite.
    WHITETAILS, WHAT DREAMS ARE MADE OF
    CLOSE SHOT ARTIST

PSE AXE7--PSE DNA

This question can be answered a number of ways. First off, there are just as many longbows that are as fast or even faster then recurves. If and when you decide to look for a bow you may be better off looking at used equipment on a a number of sites( stickbow.com, Tradgang.com and right here) rather then some of the bargin basement stuff that is offered. Longbows have come a long way from what was being built 20 years ago, hybrid design has some of both recurve and longbows best in one bow. Some longbows to look at are A&H ACS, Morrison, Centaur, Zipper. Recurves, Morrison, Zipper, RER, Dryad. The prices on most of these are going to be high but it gives you a idea whats out there and then you shop accordingly for used equipment.

Thanks!
    At the same draw length and weight the recurve will probably be a tad faster... even though the longbow is well... longer (which usually adds to a bows stability) I'll have to assume the brace will be shorter which is usually counter productive to a bow being forgiving... of those two bows mentioned I'd go with the Blackhawk to learn on... if for whatever reason you wanna stay with PSE for around the same cost you could spring for a Optima or Summit... both much better learner bows imo.

But if you just wanna be trad for the sake of being trad then either or will suffice... the learning process will be as long or as short as the amount of effort you put into learning how to shoot this style of archery... I LOVE TRADITIONAL ARCHERY... it can be either very very rewarding or cause you to yank all your hair out.
    TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow >>>-------->

If you are looking at a good high quality bow at a great price i would check out mohawk longbows as well as the byron Ferguson longbows. Both are around $500 for a hand made bow.
    Savage Model 11 - Nikon ProStaff 3X9X40 - 85 grain HSA Sierra HPBT
    Remington 870 Wingmaster 26" WadWizard Supreme Choke
    Mathews Helim - 64lbs - Hogg Father - G5 Archery Expert II

Quote Originally Posted by Classic Ranger View Post
    A recurve will give you faster arrow speed, but is less forgiving. Longbows are smoother and a tad more accurate IMO. I shot a 50# Bear Montana at Bass Pro the other day and it was a lot smoother and easier to hold at full draw than my 45# Super Kodiak (recurve).
    Horribly inaccurate... don't see much longbows in regards to Olympic archery do we?

Since I'm a beginner, I don't want to spend too much on my first bow. I was thinking the Red Stag (1 pc.) Recurve Bow or the Red Stag Longbow. Which is better?

Since I'm a beginner, I don't want to spend too much on my first bow. I was thinking the Red Stag (1 pc.) Recurve Bow or the Red Stag Longbow. Which is better?
    I would personally go with a recurve.