Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bow Review: Bowtech Experience

2013 Bow Review: Bowtech Experience

I know that there are several reviews on here about the new Bowtech Experience, but I thought that I would share my thoughts for anyone that is interested. Also, unless I have missed it, I haven't seen a review with a DFC for the Experience, so I will show that in this review as well.

Finish- Over the last several years, I have thought that Bowtech was a little behind other companies in the finish department. Not just the limbs either, but I am talking about the riser finish. I am not a real particular person when it comes to finish, but I have always been able to see blemishes in the Bowtechs that I have owned, and/or worked on, and of course everyone is familiar with the limb finish issues that have plagued Bowtech over the last few years. While the limb issue is still in the air for the 2013 bows, I will say that this Experience that I am doing the review on, is darn near flawless. This bow has a very nice finish, and so far the limbs are perfect.

Experience Pic.jpg

Specs- The bow is a 60-70 lbs model, and is maxed out at 70.8 lbs. The axle to axle measured 32-1/6", brace height measured 7", and the bow is set at 28.5" draw length that actually measured 29". The draw length on this bow measures 1/2" long, and the letoff is just a little bit shy of 80%, coming in at 78%.

Feel- This is one area where this bow really shines for me. I like a bow that balances well, and this one is perfectly balanced. Also, I love the grip on this bow. To me, as with the Insanity, Bowtech has nailed the grip on this bow. The draw cycle on the bow is very nice. It is very smooth from start to finish with a nice transition into a good valley. It has no hump or dump into the valley, it is just a very nice transition. The valley on the bow isn't quite as big as some of the binary cam bows, but it is still a high let off and very managable valley. I have seen where some people say to set the mod 1/2" shorter than the draw stop peg to get a bigger valley. I don't see this as necessary myself, but I did try it to see how it felt. I like the feel of the bow the way it is supposed to be set up better than setting the mod 1/2" shorter. That said, it did increase the length of the valley when set up this way.

Tuning/Speed- When I got this bow, the cams were out of synch and I did not shoot the bow like this, so I can't give you a "straight out of the box" type review here. All I did though, for this review, was synch the cams, and made sure that the timing was set to the factory recommendations. I put a Limbdriver Pro V rest on, set the nock point at 1/8" high, and went to the paper rack. After just a couple of shots, it was shooting perfect bullet holes. The Over Drive Binary Cam System is my favorite cam system out there because of it's tunabilty and of course this bow is no different.

Experience Bullet Hole.jpg

After I got the bow shooting bullet holes, I got out the Chronograph. I shot 3 different arrow weights, and here is what I found:

Arrow 1 - 354 grains
    Average speed- 327.4

Arrow 2- 406 grains
    Average Speed 306.2

Arrow 3- 454 grains
    Average Speed- 291.3

Experience Chrono Reading.jpg

Using Backcountry IBO calculator with arrow #1 the bow's IBO is 342, with arrow #2 the bow's IBO is 337, and with arrow #3 the bows IBO is 336. Although I didn't shoot the bow at 30" draw length to see what the bow actually shoots at IBO specs, the calculator figures the IBO to be a little faster than rated. I am not a big fan of "figuring" IBO on these calculators, but I have been pressed for time and just haven't had the opportunity to set the bow at 30".

DFC- As I said, I have been a little short on spare time recently, so I haven't had a chance to really get into tuning this bow. I just set the bow to factory recommendations and synched the cams. When I get a chance, I'll probably see what I can get out of the bow. I will say this though, I don't think that I will get a lot out of it. The DFC is pretty darn good when set to factory recommendations, and seeing as how this is my personal bow, I don't know if it's worth my time to gain a few feet per second. My Easton Bow Force Mapper is STILL out of commision (PACT has had the darn thing for 2 months) so I plotted the DFC with a piece of graph paper, a weight scale, and draw board. That said, here is the DFC:

Experience DFC.jpg

As you can see the bow hits peak weight at about 6" into the draw cycle, and holds peak weight for about 5". It then drops about 1/2 lbs for about 1" and then drops almost another 1/2 lbs and holds that for about 2" before dropping into the valley. You are only losing about 1 lbs throughout the peak of the DFC, which is pretty efficient.

Shooting- On the shot the bow is very quiet, and dead. The thing that I like is there is really no kick at the shot either. After the bow has been shot, it just sits there balanced in your hand. Very nice. I have only had the bow for about a week or so, and have only shot it a couple of sessions, but I shoot this bow pretty well. The bow holds steady without a stabilzer, as this bow didn't have a stabilizer bushing installed from the factory. So I haven't even shot the bow with a stab on it. The bow stacks arrows though at every distance that I have shot with it. I even shot a 40 yd Robin Hood on my 2nd shooting session. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

Experience Robin Hood.jpg

Overall, I am very impressed with the bow. I think that Bowtech took another step forward with a very stable, and advanced shooting platform. Continuing to improve upon, what I think, is a very good design base.

Awesome review and thanks for taking the time to do it. I totally agree on shooting it at factory settings as far as draw length modules and cable stops. I moved the cable stops a position back and while I liked the let-off that I got I did not really care for the draw cycle. It looks like it still exceeds or meets ibo even at heavier arrow weights which is good of course. I love mine and I still haven't put a stabilizer on it and may not lol. Good review.

Thanks for the review. It pretty well says the same as the others--this will be a super hunting bow. I shot one back to back with an Insanity for about an hour on Friday and put my order in for the camo Experience. Alot of folks really blasted Bowtech when this bow was released, but I really have a hard time finding a flaw on this offering. It delivers what I want in a hunting bow--well balanced, quiet, planty of speed, easy to draw, accurate and a true pleasure to shoot. I've owned two other Bowtechs and this one is the best of the bunch. Happy hunting.

Excellent review. Very thorough.

Re: 2013 Bow Review: Bowtech Experience

STOP THE PRESSES!

I agree with the fact it is well balanced. After my first time holding it, I had my first experience with a bow feeling like an extension of my actual body. But I was disappointed with a harshness in the draw. I didn't say it was harsh or bad but rather a "harshness".

You, the reader, might not even notice it if you don't draw a variety of bows but one of the bows I had drawn just prior was the 2013 Mathews Monster Chill. No comparison. Btw, 2013 Elite Hunter was smoother as well but I bought the Chill not long after that.

And Mathews wasn't even in my prior consideration. Experience might be far better than many bows but shop around until you are sold from within.

Eric

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    STOP THE PRESSES!

I agree with the fact it is well balanced. After my first time holding it, I had my first experience with a bow feeling like an extension of my actual body. But I was disappointed with a harshness in the draw. I didn't say it was harsh or bad but rather a "harshness".

You, the reader, might not even notice it if you don't draw a variety of bows but one of the bows I had drawn just prior was the 2013 Mathews Monster Chill. No comparison. Btw, 2013 Elite Hunter was smoother as well but I bought the Chill not long after that.

And Mathews wasn't even in my prior consideration. Experience might be far better than many bows but shop around until you are sold from within.

Eric

We are glad you are happy with your chill but many of us have shot multiple bows and decided on the Experience. The Experience draw cycle is not "harsh" "bad" or rather "harshness." lol.

Spectacular review! Thanks for posting this info!

Great review on a fine performing bow. I think it's going to be a fitting replacement for my Invasion.
    Prairie Phoenix.

Awesome review. Well done sir.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

[COLOR="#0000FF" [/COLOR]

STOP THE PRESSES!

Eric

The felt draw is a subjective issue for each person.

However, I will say this. An Experience is not harsh drawing, it does not even have any "Harshness" as you call it. That's what the DFC map is there for. It clearly shows there is no harshness to it.

Now what the bow does exhibit is some stiffness on the pull. But again, that's why I put the rotating mods in one hole size shorter than the posts. It makes the bow pull easier, has a longer valley, has less holding weight, and the bow will almost hold itself back at full draw.

With the mods set to factory settings, it is a little stiff and the bow does want to take off if I ease up a fuzz. Not like a DNA or most any speed bow, however. Nowhere near that bad.

I've yet to see anyone claim the Experience is as easy to pull as some other bows on the market, but with the mods set to one shorter than the posts, it's very close to the Answer I used to own.

Glad you found a bow you like. I know I have.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

[COLOR="#0000FF" [/COLOR]

I haven't had the opportunity to shoot the Experience. I am looking forward to it because I love my Invasion.

I have also read some personal reports that the Invasion draw was rather harsh but at 60 lbs you could never convince me of it. Nowhere nearly as easy to draw as the Elite Hunter at 60 lbs but what is?

However, I found the ease of the Invasion draw to be remarkable in comparison to it's speed and holding ability. I fully expect the Experience to be just as efficient in every way.

Doug
    but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the Spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ dwells within you.....Romans 8

Excellent review.

STOP THE PRESSES!

Eric

I'll reread my review again, but I don't think I said anywhere in it that the Experience had a better draw than the Chill or Hunter. I don't think I compared it to any bow nor did I say anything like "its the smoothest bow I have ever shot". I just stated that the bow has a very smooth draw cycle and transition into the valley. Smooth doesn't necessarily mean that it is easy to draw back. It just means that it is a constant pull from beginning to end without having a hump or dump into the valley.

Nice review. I know I like mine...

and I pick mine up tomorrow
    Prairie Phoenix.

fantastic review........... thank you

very good review....great job! BTW if we were to look at the draw OBJECTIVELY....it's pretty aggressive. Right in line with the insanities and the Invasion. They produce great speeds and there is a lot of great things to say about them, but they all have very aggressive DFC's.
    Carbofast X-blaster target stabalizers
    Vendetta Hunting Stabalizers
    Now offering PCO products featuring RAKX deer suppliment

Yup. I think bowtech made a great bow this year. Nice review.

They are very nice bows with a great looking finish and balance extremely well, nice review OP.
    www.bowfitters.net 219-775-8446
    Strings and tuning info/pricing....click here
    Printable service form: Bow Fitter's LLC service order form

Nice review and I loved the bow at 29'' wasn't harsh at all at that draw, until 30.5-31'' it was harsh and bad drawing.
    2014 BT RPM 50lbs for wife 378 grain arrow 271 fps and 42 fps faster then her elite.
    2013 Hoyt spyder LD specs to come.
    2012 CPXL SH camo 52lbs 436 grain arrow 279fps.
    2012 Elite answer 52.5lbs wifes
    SZ 350

2013 Bow Review: Bowtech Experience

Nice review and thanks for posting the draw force curve.
    I agree with your review and think Bowtech has possibly built their best bow yet.
    At least it's the best I have owned or shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nicely done review with good solid info and pics. I will sell the draw cycle is unique and for me it was more needing to get used to it than it being harsh. I have a 71# Destroyer and it wasn't any worse or better so to speak... But when you get the Experience bare shaft tuned its a whole different animal. It would be the Bowtech Butter cause its smooth and draws like butter!

I am thinking hard on getting one...
    Bowtech
    Doinker
    Spot Hogg
    Tight Spot

Thanks for all of the positive responses to the review guys.

Great review with info. People can use. Thanks.

Great review and good information. I ordered mine yesterday and it should be here in a couple of weeks (fingers crossed). I went black, 60 lb limbs and will set it at 28.5" draw. Planning on shooting Maxima Hunter 350 cut to 28.5". Can't wait!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast