Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heavy draw weight recurve crossbows

Heavy draw weight recurve crossbows

With these smaller crossbows looking to be the big hit this year, with their very heavy draw weights, I've been thinking about how many people will love to have one but simply won't be able to cock one. I think some folks will learn the hard way, they'll buy one and then realize they can't cock it. Yep, their short draw length will help a bit but not to the point they are easy to cock...by a long shot. With that in mind, I would recommend these bows' manufacturers be working on robust crank cocking devices, if they aren't already doing it. JMO:-)

MOON

Super "Small" Recurve Xbows- The Future of Recurve Hunting Xbows

STRYKER 350- LS 390 COMPOUND XBOWS - YOU CAN SPEND MORE .......

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    With these smaller crossbows looking to be the big hit this year, with their very heavy draw weights, I've been thinking about how many people will love to have one but simply won't be able to cock one. I think some folks will learn the hard way, they'll buy one and then realize they can't cock it. Yep, their short draw length will help a bit but not to the point they are easy to cock...by a long shot. With that in mind, I would recommend these bows' manufacturers be working on robust crank cocking devices, if they aren't already doing it. JMO:-)
    Yup. Been thinking the same thing. Us guys with bad shoulders can't do it. And those guys with good shoulders may be joining the club with us guys with bad shoulders after they cock those bows enough.

Moon, to be honest the Matrix 380 wasn't much different than the Equinox and the 355 a lot like the Vortex in cocking effort. These bows are targeted to people who wanted more speed and most people should be able to figure out if the bow is too much for them. I think there will still be more customers buying the lower poundage bows.

Arrow

LOL! Bit of a stretch IMHO.

I'm mid-fifties. Went to the crossbow due to a few too many shoulder injuries (no longer can draw my compound). Left side is pretty much Hooped.
    Ran an Ibex the first year. No issues cocking that one.
    Went to an Exomax second year - a tad more effort, but I wasn't shooting as much target work as I do now. Was OK for hunting.
    Grabbed the Matrix 380 the second I could (Drool Factor & Lust). No Regrets!

I have cocked and shot the 380 approaching 100 times over the course of a day. Actually find it just a tad easier (for me) to cock than the Exomax was.
    That of course is using the rope cocking aid - there is No Way I'd ever be able to cock the Matrix by hand!

Given that experience, methinks the discussions of the efforts involved to cock these bows is being just a tad over-exaggerated...

Cheers,
    Nog

Yep, I've cocked both of them and they are quite a bit harder to cock than my Vortex which works on my shoulders. You hit the nail on the head. Constant shooting heavy traditional bows over the years has me paying for it now. I see it all the time with guys starting in their 50's.

I installed the Ten Point ACCUdraw cranks on the Vortex and Ibex just in case and I think I'm close to needing them. I dare not install the ACCUdraw on a Matrix 380 with its very heavy draw weight. I think the answer for those that insist on shooting one and can't.....the Excal crank built to handle the extra draw weight is the answer. I'm working on one now:-)

Noggin, every individual with shoulder problems is different. I think time will back me on this one:-)
    MOON

Thumbs up

... Noggin, every individual with shoulder problems is different. I think time will back me on this one:-)
    Time will get us all... eventually!

I'm hoping there's at least another Good Decade or so left in this ol' bod!
    Given that I've driven it like a bloody Race Car (with far too infrequent "pit-stops" along the way) that may not end up being the case. When it happens, I guess I'll be looking at some sort of cranking devise (or just drag along a couple more Young Guns to help out! LOL!)

Cheers,
    Nog

Funny how time starts gaining speed as we age up. A week seems to last about a day now and a day seems to last about an hour:-) Another problem for me is that I shoot literally every day year round. Some folks hang their crossbows up until season is back in. I never get a break:-)
    MOON

The question was asked on the Excal forum and the Excal dude said that the current Excal crank cocker will work just fine on the Matrix 355 and 380.

Being 72(almost),I believe some type of crank would be needed,Thats why I will always have at least 1 Ten Point as a backup

Who needs a Matrix when you have a black Vixen?? Kills deer as well. Imagine that?

I will agree.....lot of shooters going to need a cocking aid. Small, unique bows but stiff
    John 3:16
    Matrix 380

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Time will get us all... eventually!

I'm hoping there's at least another Good Decade or so left in this ol' bod!
    Given that I've driven it like a bloody Race Car (with far too infrequent "pit-stops" along the way) that may not end up being the case. When it happens, I guess I'll be looking at some sort of cranking devise (or just drag along a couple more Young Guns to help out! LOL!)

Cheers,
    Nog
    Lookin' for another dime myself, IN! A dozen would be even better...
    "Never judge a man... Till you walk a mile in his swamp." -----Swamp Donky

I don't know the strength of that skinny little cord used on the Excal cranks but I'm not using it. It's going to get replaced. Just my opinion. This cocker was given to me and had cocked nothing but a very low draw weight Excal and upon inspection, one side was getting ready to snap. I'll feel much better with some overkill in this case:-) I asked the fellow that gave me the cocker and he said it came out of the box new with that cord. Like I've said, I hate these things but not as bad as having my shoulder cut....again
    MOON

If you need or want a crank to use the bow you want i say go for it.

I don't know the strength of that skinny little cord used on the Excal cranks but I'm not using it. It's going to get replaced. Just my opinion. This cocker was given to me and had cocked nothing but a very low draw weight Excal and upon inspection, one side was getting ready to snap. I'll feel much better with some overkill in this case:-) I asked the fellow that gave me the cocker and he said it came out of the box new with that cord. Like I've said, I hate these things but not as bad as having my shoulder cut....again
    I agree with you on this. The small cord is about scary. I keep an eye on mine for damage but so far so good. It seems to be very strong cord. I am back to cocking using the rope cocker again and worry more about the rope and the hooks on it. Have you ever had a hook break on an Excal cocking device?

I have a DTMss on the way, sure hope I can cock it...I do have a bad right shoulder
    Despite what your momma told you,
    violence does solve problems

Quote Originally Posted by ibex1 View Post
    Who needs a Matrix when you have a black Vixen?? Kills deer as well. Imagine that?
    What about a thumbhole stocked carved tip limbed vixen Miss Vixen kills many tick toters

Kong Matrix 405 Fast Strong n Deadly
    Marie Laveau Matrix 355
    Banshee MXB 320
    vixenmaster strings

Moon

I believe you need to get you a 80-100 pound Ventilator before you end up giving yourself a hurnia or a concussion from a rope cocker. Lol

Honestly I would like to see some of the neat things you could come up with for a scorpyd. I know you think they are ugly and you probably can't change that for yourself but I know you could make some cool improvements I believe.
    Scorpyd Ventilator/ Scorpyd Velocity
    SPEED DOG>>-----> sniffen out the speed
    Archery: Ain't no way to make this up..when its runnin through my blood... Ain't no hiden the truth...Just what I do!!
    Tenpoint Carbon Fusion/Excalibur Vortex/Vortex Optics-Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP

You (Moon) have the advantage of a short, narrow recurve with a wide choice of draw weight and performance options. My Phoenix should do anything I need, but a shorter, lighter, narrower recurve with something like Vortex performance would certainly be nice.
    <')))><

VS.......don't get me started I will be using one temporarily, working with a certain company in developing a new crossbow scope. My "associate" will do the cocking. The long power stroke is worse on me than the heavy draw short power stroke recurves. I just finished a review on a different brand and it just does not appeal to me. I won't list the things I don't like about the design because we've been there and done that. No need to get that crap started again:-) I'm an archery traditionalist at heart and I love the simple functionality of recurves. I think the Stealth SS may be my last compound crossbow. From that point it will be recurves.....at least that's my plan:-)

I am interested in reading your, and others', arrow tests though. Keep em coming:-)
    MOON

Joe, you hit the nail on the head! I already know I personally will end up hunting with a mid performance SS recurve. That short narrow design is so comfortable to hunt with it will be hard to go back to the heavier and larger full sized Middletons and Excalibur crossbows. I have one that fits that bill perfectly but it is 32" wide. If we can get the limbs down to 28" with that lighter draw weight.....I'm where I want to be:-)

The photo below shows my Excal Vortex in the middle, a shorty with full width limbs on the right and a shorty with 32" limbs on the left. I will take a photo today with a 28" limb setup for comparision.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MOON

Quote Originally Posted by Obi-wanShinobi View Post
    Moon, to be honest the Matrix 380 wasn't much different than the Equinox and the 355 a lot like the Vortex in cocking effort. These bows are targeted to people who wanted more speed and most people should be able to figure out if the bow is too much for them. I think there will still be more customers buying the lower poundage bows.
    Having owned both an Equinox and a Vortex - plus two 'surgically enhanced' shoulders - I feel qualified to politely disagree with your conclusion, Obi... Repeatedly cocking the 225 draw weight bow was considerably more strenuous on my wings; not to mention harsher shot and tough on serving. Tried a mechanical cocker but found it both slow and noisy. So, I opted for a Phoenix to practice with and a Vortex to hunt with. Have not cocked a 380 Matrix, wonder if the narrower limbs and shorter pull makes it easier to cock? BTW, cocking my 365 fps Cyclone (compound) isn't a breeze either. Word for the cocking disabled: Try before you buy.
    Why do I hunt? Simple, it's BASIC.
    Why do you breathe?!

Excalibur, Mission, single shot rifles and handguns

Shooting Kodabow 125-225 lb models ,I am good till I hit 225 lb model but now I see no need for any thing higher than Express model 185 I am going get these limbs next to go with my 200lb Zulu.Higher the poundage more noise ,vibration ,arrows start to be hard to group well.

I just got off the phone with Derrick Middleton, for those that are getting the new 375ss he is working on 315 and 330 limbs for this bow now too, so if the 375 (250# draw) are to hard to cock on extended range shoots you will be able to swap them out for 315 (200#) or 330 (225#) limb sets. He will still be making all the other bows with the longer limbs in the future but will be coming out with 315 and 330 versions of the new shorter platform as well. And for those that have ordered the new bow and are waiting on shipping he informed me he was not satisfied with the string and now has a string he feels is best suited for the bow and shipping begins tomorrow...ENJOY !
    Despite what your momma told you,
    violence does solve problems

Well bowhunter that is great news and thank u, on Derrick and 330-315 SS and string issue I feel 330 SS be more what I would hunt with.
    Again thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast