Thread: Bear Grizzly Recurve..good choice or not

Cool Bear Grizzly Recurve..good choice or not

Those of you on the trad forum, know I'm between a recurve and longbow for my first traditional bow. Bear grizzly catches my eye as its beautiful, but it's 58". Would it be just fine for me if I'm a 6ft 2.5 guy with a 30"dl?

Bow will be used for both hunting and archery target practice. I kinda like the idea of a shorter bow, so I can slide it over my shoulder and back while on the move hunting. Also tree stand hunting

Isn't the recurve a warrior bow?

$ range for this bow is exactly what I want to pay

Let me know your thoughts! Thanks and God Bless

For your DL and just starting out, way too short. I would not go below 64", preferably 66" or up, and look for something on the lighter side, say around 35#, for starting out. Later, when you can shoot good and know how to work around it, a short bow won't be such a handicap.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanford View Post
    For your DL and just starting out, way too short. I would not go below 64", preferably 66" or up, and look for something on the lighter side, say around 35#, for starting out. Later, when you can shoot good and know how to work around it, a short bow won't be such a handicap.
    Thank you so much for your reply. Why exactly would a 58" bow not be good? Compared to a 64-68" bow

It's hard to find a recurve/longbow that is 64-68" long,$350 and less...and that also has dark wood lol

A short bow for your DL will stack out real fast and the string angle will be tight and cause finger pinch. The geometry just all works against you.

You want a decent, good-looking bow and have the budget for one. If you get the "wrong" decent bow, I will most certainly hear your screams all the way across the ocean and North American continent.

Archery has a tremendous learning curve, though it can be a fairly fast one if you are diligent and dedicated.

I pose that you will need two bows to attain your goals (or one three-piece bow allowing for a second set of limbs).

Your first bow (assuming separate bows) can be the cheapest one you can obtain with a light draw weight and of fairly decent length. Sanford mentions at least 64" and up. This is good advice. Don't know what is available in Germany, but bows like the Samick Polaris in 66" can be had here in the states for $120. They are not lookers, but are fantastic performing bows to get started on at a ridiculously low price. Start surfing the learning curve on a bow like this and let the bank account keep earning interest for the next bow.

Once a bow is in your hand, the heat's off. You're on your way, and while learning to master basic archery you can be studying up on where you want to go with your next bow when ready. At a point you will be answering your own questions as to the style of bow you wish to make your "main" bow for target and hunting purposes. You'll have read forums and visited bowyer's websites and become familiar with the huge variety of bows available for your purposes.

Your second bow will be your well-thought out dream bow, and yes ... you will probably be able to get it in the perfect wood and color combination that you desire. Without compromise. Or in a rush. And at the right length. And right draw weight. And of the most appealing style.

The first bow can be ugly and unattractive. But it will get you up to the next level as well as any high-dollar bow would ... for relative pennies.

I've got some beautiful, expensive bows. I've also got some ugly, cheapo learning bows that are worth their weight in gold.

Just my thoughts. Measure twice ... cut once.

Good luck.

PS. I stained a Polaris riser to black ebony and painted the limbs black. That took care of the ugly. Dark bow - no problem with some elbow grease.

Wow some great advice!!

Thank you guys so much!!

Bear Grizzly Recurve..good choice or not

Entry level Samick=value.

I got the 68" red stag longbow recently and like it a lot. Especially for ~$200.
    Finish was not that great but you get what you pay for.

Also consider the samick SLB at 69" for around the same price
    Hoyt GPX, Spigarelli BB riser, TradTech Titan III, Hoyt Tiburon
    Border Hex6 BB2 & CXB. Hoyt formula F7
    Board bows and selfbows galore

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch View Post
    It's hard to find a recurve/longbow that is 64-68" long,$350 and less...and that also has dark wood lol
    Look at the Omega, among others, and you can get it unfinished and make it as dark as you'd like.

http://omegalongbows.webs.com/warrantyandfaq.htm
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight....your tactics suck!"

Re: Bear Grizzly Recurve..good choice or not

Thin Man- You have been turning out some really good responses.

Just wanted to say thanks

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

With your draw I would go with a 64 inch bow or better. A 58 inch bow at your draw will NOT be a pleasure to shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Long Rifle View Post
    Look at the Omega, among others, and you can get it unfinished and make it as dark as you'd like.

http://omegalongbows.webs.com/warrantyandfaq.htm
    I'd love to build him one, but shipping a full length bow overseas would push the price out of his budget range

Kegan I'd suspect anything he bought on this side of the pond would do the same.....
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight....your tactics suck!"

Quote Originally Posted by ChadMR82 View Post
    With your draw I would go with a 64 inch bow or better. A 58 inch bow at your draw will NOT be a pleasure to shoot
    I call BS on that one.

You can enjoy shooting that bow.