a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: How thick to slice jerky???

How thick to slice jerky???

Hey guys! Getting ready to make some jerky in my dehydrator - normally I use ground, but I don't want to do that this time - I'm curious, how thick do you normally cut your slices?? Any other tips??

Thanks!!

I slice my meat at 1/2" however I dont dry the meat, I wet Jerk the meat and smoke or cook to 150 degrees then seal in bags and freeze,.. no sence turning good meat into leather

I use a jerky board. I slice it as thin as I can. It is just right when once its dry you can just about see through it.
    Walk softly, carry pointy sticks.

i'm with sleeperls. I like it thin, just dont overcook it, once you pull it from the smoker it will continue cooking. i like 1/8 of an inch think, no more than 1/4
    Prime Centroid 62lbs
    GT Velocities 300's Rage 125 Extremes
    Owner of: Foerster's Meat and Mounts
    Ask about our euro mounts

I'm new to the jerky thing, but I'm chiming in anyway. (I'm using a dehydrator now for the record.) I've sliced over 1/4", was shooting for 1/4", but ended up more like 3/8", and really liked the thick cuts. My jerky co-conspirator disagrees. Last time we went 1/4" or less. Jerky was still good, but a little thin for my taste.

I think its really just a matter of personal preference. It's a lot of trial and error to get your process dialed in.

Speaking of jerky, its time to rotate my racks.

I've cut it pretty thin and also over 1/2" inch before. Its all personal preference!

Quote Originally Posted by kevinfoerster View Post
    i'm with sleeperls. I like it thin, just dont overcook it, once you pull it from the smoker it will continue cooking. i like 1/8 of an inch think, no more than 1/4
    This cut usually works best for me too

I've got a deli meat slicer which I set to 1/4" for beef and 5/16" for elk and deer. Game meat is much more lean so you can get away with thicker cuts and not over dry the meat.

I bought one of these off eBay. Works even better than I had hoped. Makes slicking jerky very fast and every piece is the same thickness. Absolutely would buy one again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Jerky-Bo...item338041cd5d
    2012 Elite Answer 28", 61lbs, HHA Otimizer XL5510 .010, QAD HDX, Doinker Dish, Surgical 340's, Square-Up, QAD Exodus & Ulmer Edge Broadheads
    2008.5 Elite GT500 28", 62lbs, HHA OpimizerXL5510 .010, QADS HDX, Doinker Dish, Surgical 340's, Square-Up, QAD Exodus and Ulmer Edge Broadheads

1/8th inch
    If it looks like crap, smells like crap, tastes like crap, lies like crap; it’s more than likely a politician from Illinois.

Never tried cutting slices ,just ground meat
    Anyone have any good recipes for the oven and do you have to use a cure if your making this type of jerky.
    Tips would be great for this newbie

1/4" with high mountain cure = amazing jerky

With my dehydrator, 1/4 inch thick. Seconded on the high mountain.

Orange County, People's Republik of Mexifornistan
    Do you want hard chewin' jerky strips or softer, kippered chunks?
    ’11 Hoyt Carbon Element 65lb draw, Spot Hogg Hunter sight, QAD HDX drop-away rest, 8” Axion Gridlock 3D Hunter stabilizer, Archer Xtreme Carbon Vapor (camo dipped) quiver
    The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

Re: How thick to slice jerky???

Quote Originally Posted by BOOYAH View Post
    Never tried cutting slices ,just ground meat
    Anyone have any good recipes for the oven and do you have to use a cure if your making this type of jerky.
    Tips would be great for this newbie
    I've toyed with recipes for whole meat jerky and think I found a amazing one finally. Maybe I should post it up. Or pm me

Softer pieces