Thread: Turkey diaphragm call

Turkey diaphragm call

Just got my turkeys calls in the other day and I'm very comfortable with it in my mouth now. Already making some noises. What are some of your techniques to making yelps, purrs, clucks, cutts,and kee-Kees. Or post some good videos on YouTube to check out. I have watched a couple on there already.

2010 Mathews Z7 29/70, QAD Ultra Rest Pro HD,Trophy Ridge Micro Alpha V5 , Gold Tip Pro Hunters 340s, Tight Spot Quiver, G5 Meta Peep, 2 Blade Rage Chisel Broadheads

2012 Mathews Helium 29/70 Qad Ultra Rest Pro Hdx, HHA Optimizer, Gold Tip Pro Hunters 340s, Tight Spot Quiver, G5 Meta Peep, 2 Blade Rage Chisel Broadheads

Re: Turkey diaphragm call

No help??

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    2010 Mathews Z7 29/70, QAD Ultra Rest Pro HD,Trophy Ridge Micro Alpha V5 , Gold Tip Pro Hunters 340s, Tight Spot Quiver, G5 Meta Peep, 2 Blade Rage Chisel Broadheads

2012 Mathews Helium 29/70 Qad Ultra Rest Pro Hdx, HHA Optimizer, Gold Tip Pro Hunters 340s, Tight Spot Quiver, G5 Meta Peep, 2 Blade Rage Chisel Broadheads

To purr act like you are trying to rev up a hocker.
    With age your purpose will become clearer

Scott Ellis from Woodhaven has some You tube vids that are good. I have the Zink Mouth call basics video it's also helpful.
    " Good luck we're all counting on you"

Anymore help?

Practice, practice, practice

I (kyle) have used just about every mouth call out there. I have called competitions and worked for a call company Woods Wise hunting calls. The truth is you really need to go buy a sack full of them from different brands. Depending on whether or not your a beginner or expert will determine how many reeds you can use. I like to use a 3 reed mouth call. The more reeds the harder they are to blow. The reason I say go and buy a sack full is because every person seems to like a different call but once you find that call your set!! There are so many different reed cuts out there it's not even funny, and this will play a huge factor on which sounds you make raspy vs. clean etc.. I personally love the ghost cut! Most call companies make a ghost cut and I love it because I can imitate almost every call a turkey makes, and I can switch it up from sounding clean to raspy. I hope this has helped some!!
    www.team-radical.com

Family Not By Blood, But By Tradition!

For making noises the first thing you need to know and practice is that the middle part of your tongue never leaves the roof of your mouth. When your jaw drops to make the call the reed is still pushed up to the roof of your mouth. Not with the tip of your tongue but with approx. the MIDDLE part of your tongue. To start you need to just make some solid noise. Start out by making a constant keeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Then to get the rest of the yelp you'll make a haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa noise with your jaw dropping. To make the yelp combine those to two and ul be set. Truth is yes it takes ALOT of practice to the point of where you feel like you want to give up. But once you get it it's like riding a bike. You can do it!
    www.team-radical.com

I agree that practice is the key. I am no expert by anymeans, but if you have ever listened to a flock of turkeys, they usually sound horrible so if you make a bad note, don't worry too much. Most people try to make word sounds to make different calls. Purrs are usually just buzzing your lips, or "put", "calk". Just put one in and play around with it. The sounds will come. One big thing is to try to control the volume. Loud to locate, and then soft to finesse a bird in. Good luck out there this spring.
    Athens Archery Factory Staff Shooter
    Foxy Outdoors Field Staff
    Monsters Inc. Pro Staff
    Hips Targets Pro Staff

Thanks a lot y'all! I just got the yelp down. Well not totally but have been successful to make a yelp everytime I try now.. Now one to make another call.. Do you all say different words for different calls or just the way u move the air under the reed and above the tongue??

clucking involves popping your lips. purring involves constant air vibrating your lips. Kee Kee is like making the sound wah wah-- wah wah wah. A misconception I (kyle) believe a lot of people make is that every call is like saying a word. Yes this will help you start but in reality when your calling your not thinking about words when blowing the call. It make look dumb but im sure you have seen the experts hold their hand out and act like its a turkey. Well it works and will help you. The biggest thing to remember when yelping is think of weak car starting. It turns over slowly at first then speeds up. Thats the best way I can describe it. Remember there is really never a pause when yelping and make sure that your tongue stays glued to the roof of your mouth. At first your going to keep thinking about your tongue needing to be on the roof of your mouth, but when you forget about it and your tongue naturally stays there you will be golden and can create any sound you want. Hope all of this makes sense.
    www.team-radical.com

i learned by listening to real turkey recordings, and trying to mimic them. Bought a couple of different calls and started. Sounded like a dieing duck for the longest time, but still got turkeys to gobble. Like others have said practice, practice, practice. Never in the car alone this time of year without a mouth call.
    Elite Z28

To start, close your eyes.......close your mouth in a normal way , and feel how your tongue is laying across the roof of your mouth. Your tongue is even across the roof of the mouth and lightly touching it. This is how the tongue should lay across the reeds of the call, when the call is in your mouth. Your tongue needs to be in contact with the reeds at all times, to work properly.

DON'T SAY WORDS TO MAKE THE DIFFERENT CALLS!!!!!! For the most part , saying a word, will make you remove your tongue from the reeds of the call.

I can tell you some words to give you an idea of how to make different calls, but don't actually say them. Learn to control the airflow without saying a word.

To yelp , there are two notes. A higher note and a lower one. For the first one, say shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, like your trying to tell someone to be quiet.(about the only word i can think of that doesn't remove your tongue from the call). The harder the tongue pressure and more air flow, the higher the note will be. The second note , you just drop your tongue pressure off the reeds a little, and reduce the air flow some. Speed it up and you will get a yelp. Remember, control of the airflow is key to all calls.

There are a couple different clucks. A high pitched one and a lower pitched cluck. To do this, you have to pop your lips while keeping your tongue on the reeds. Say pit for higher pitch, and put for lower pitch. Remember to just pop your lips, not actually say the words, or you will remove your tongue from the reeds.

To purr, you can vibrate your lips, or make like a gargling sound in your throat.

Cutting is just a rapid series of clucks, with varying pitches.

Hope this helps.

Perfection turkey calls has a great DVD for leaning to use a mouth call.
    it goes over everything from taking care of your calls to how to use and make all of the calls
    that you will need in the spring or fall woods.
    perfectionturkeycalls.com
    Athens Factory Staff Shooter http://www.athensarchery.com/home 2012 Athens Recluse-----2013 Athens Judgement
    Perfection Turkey Calls ProStaff
    Straight N Arrow Staff www.snaarchery.com
    bcbowdesigns.com, Trinity Archery Field Staff---- Hamskea Archery Shooting Staff

Quote Originally Posted by kdemkey View Post
    Thanks a lot y'all! I just got the yelp down. Well not totally but have been successful to make a yelp everytime I try now..
    the yelp and soft clucks is all you really need to get a Tom within range. atleat with Easterns. less is always best!!
    please do not think that you need to make every call that you see in the hunting videos to kill a bird.
    calling a lot and calling loud is entertaining to watch but highly unnecessary.
    keep it simple with a few soft yelps and clucks and you will have a good time.
    a lot of people have trouble learning the purr. just dont give up.keep your mouth call in your mouth whenever possible.
    practice,practice and practice some more.
    some of the worst turkey calling i have heard has been from real hens. learning the rythem of the call is very important.
    Athens Factory Staff Shooter http://www.athensarchery.com/home 2012 Athens Recluse-----2013 Athens Judgement
    Perfection Turkey Calls ProStaff
    Straight N Arrow Staff www.snaarchery.com
    bcbowdesigns.com, Trinity Archery Field Staff---- Hamskea Archery Shooting Staff

Re: Turkey diaphragm call

Thanks still trying to get the hang of it

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by kdemkey View Post
    ... and I'm very comfortable with it in my mouth now.
    That's what she said...
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

My blog, the "Displaced Sandlapper"