Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PA: Antler Restriction

PA: Antler Restriction

So how is it going in PA with that antler restrictions? Is it working?

2010 Elite GT500, 70lb, 30in draw. In all snow camo!

Myself personally I think it has worked, at least in my area. I have seen a great deal more 2.5 and 3.5 year old bucks especially on the cams. I have been getting at least two or three P&Y class bucks on the cams every year for a few years now. I have not been able to take advantage of this in a few years, but it is nice to know that there are some quality deer in my hunting area. I don't have pics but I know there was a buck in the 180's taken just a few miles from where I do most of my hunting. No matter what there will always be people that say that there were big deer here before the AR, but I think it has definitely improved the hunting for what I would call a quality deer.
    Stevens Inception
    Steelforce Broadheads Prostaff - Steelforce Phathead SOB 100's
    Hot Shot Maunufacturing Field Staff - Hot Shot Vapor 4 finger

I agree with the above post. I think it's working. I've seen a bunch of 2.5 year olds the past few seasons and a handful of some P&Y bucks but couldn't get a shot. However the downside is the 1.5 year olds are also getting bigger and are being shot before they have a chance to get their second set of antlers. So overall yeah I'd say its been good.
    Hoyt CRX 32 @ 28.5", 72 lbs, Trophy Ridge Sight, Easton Axis 340 arrows, Tru-ball release, Rage 2 and 3 blade Chisel tips (100 Grain)

It's working amazing in my area as well. Lots of people but the deer are definitely getting larger. My plot had quite a few good ones last year. Still not midwest quality but if you spend the time in the woods you can take a p&y yearly.
    Elite Energy 32 Ninja
    7 pin Hogg It Hunter .010
    QAD HDx Rest, K-Tech Stabs
    Winners Choice Strings, Easton Carbon Injexions/FMJ's
    Rage Hypodermics

Antler restrictions working in my area as well! Had a majority of P&Y's but they gave me the slip!
    2014 Hoyt Faktor 30 Blackout
    2012 Hoyt Rampage

Re: PA: Antler Restriction

Same here seen many nice bucks compared to years before the restriction.

MR6 Switchback XT

I guess i'm the minority here. I can't say I haven't seen big bucks but I can't relate it directly to saving deer with less than 3 (4 in some wmu) points to a side. It had to have worked in some cases simply because not shooting small buck ultimately alows them to grow bigger, however the AR was put in place to "manage the herds". I believe it would have worked much better had they not allowed a minimum of 1 antlerless tag to 80k hunters along with a full week (and in some areas 2 weeks) of antlerless rifle season. I've heard as well as see here people have seen improvements, although in my area the doe population has been absolutely demolished. Our property borders federal land and about 500 acres the owner donated for hunting making it meaningless to try and manage. People are always crossing the property lines and after 8am on rifle opener if you haven't shot a buck your best bet is to wait until next year. They've all been pushed for miles and anything thats brown and moves has about a 98% of having lead thrown their way. I'm all for restrictions on antlers, but point count only (especially 3 to a side) is not an effective way to go about it imo
    2013 Elite Pure 76#/31.5" - XT Hunters - 125g viper tricks

I think it has worked

Yes, the antler restrictions have definately improved the quality of buck being taken in PA.

Joe
    RingerCams - Keeping Your Eyes on the Prize!!!
    www the 12-ring . com
    Custom Predator GT500, Stage One Threads, Custom Posten, Custom Sword Twilight Hunter, Maxima Hunters
    383 grains @ 300fps

12 counties in Michigan just adopted the Antler point restrictions, I'm curious to see how it works. I strictly manage my land for QDM but I'm still not sure it's right to tell landowners what kind of deer they can harvest. I'm kind of torn on the issue, yes I would love it if everyone passed yearling bucks, but everyone gets something different out of hunting and I'm not the kind of person to tell everyone how and what kind of deer they should harvest as long as it's legal.
    Elite Energy 35 84lbs 30" Easton FMJ 510 grains 293fps
    Hoyt Buffalo Recurve 71lbs @ 30" Beman Nightfall 300s
    Bowtech Tribute 104lbs 30" Easton FMJ Dangerous Game 250

Not near me. I see small bucks everyday but vey few big bucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacobh View Post
    Not near me. I see small bucks everyday but vey few big bucks
    Here's a follow up for you and those that claim it hasn't worked. Were you seeing better calibre Bucks before the restrictions were implemented? Because I suspect that although you're not seeing 180"ers all day, you probably weren't before either.

Jesse
    Your Beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does!

I have a place in Bradford County PA and did most of my hunting up there until about ten years ago. Now I do most of my hunting in SE PA where I live. I spend 200+ hours a year in a treestand between the locations. In general I think they are working but one thing I notice when I go upstate for rifle season is a severe drop in the number of hunters. We used see orange everywhere we went and there was a lot of pressure moving deer back and forth between farms etc. Now you hear very little shooting (even when doe opens). Even the restaurants and hotels are not crowded. So, is it the ARs or does less hunters mean less pressure resulting in more bucks making it past 1.5 years old? Most likely it is a combination of both. In the SE, I see a lot more buck than I used to but only a slight increase in bigger bucks. My conclusion is, yes there are more big buck in general but I am unclear on a definitive reason.

I've been seeing nice bucks on the farm I hunt, but they were there before, too. I noticed a big change when they first changed the doe seasons. After a couple years, I was lucky to see a few doe in a season. I stopped hunting there for about 5 years. Nobody else on the farm has shot a doe since, and the heard is coming back. I hunted there again the past two years, and nice bucks are coming in for the doe during the rut.
    I would say the gypsy moths killing all of the oaks over a decade ago, and the regrowth of thick saplings and briers on the adjacent state land, keeping hunters off and creating great cover, has contributed more than the program.

I too like the 3 pt system, I live in Md, but hunt in Penna, I have been hunting up in Clearfield county for 21 years, and when they did the 3 pt system, I was mad at first,
    and after a couple years went by you could really see the difference , Me and my son both got 8 pt last season, got mine first day son got his second day of season,I have seen alot of nice bucks up there, I think they should do this here in Md also, give the little ones a chance to grow up, myself i always let button; s and little does walk

I can say I see more scrubs chasing does now then I did before. I've seen about the same caliber bucks now as I did 10 yrs ago but more small bucks and a lot less does. A 180" deer in Pa is not a common occurence

Quote Originally Posted by belovian View Post
    Here's a follow up for you and those that claim it hasn't worked. Were you seeing better calibre Bucks before the restrictions were implemented? Because I suspect that although you're not seeing 180"ers all day, you probably weren't before either.

Jesse

Its working! Prior to the antler restriction being in place, my dad, brother and I killed a small buck every couple years. Since the restriction, I have killed a bunch of beautiful buck! I love and support the restriction. That beaing said, the 1st time I had to let a buck walk because it did not have enough points, I was ticked(this was about 5 yrs ago). I try to post some pics in a while.
    Mathews Switchback XT and Darton Vapor 70# @ 28"Wisker Biscuit Rest, Sims stab.
    Viper Sights, Gold Tip arrows, NAP Spitfires/ Slick Tricks.

I think its working I scouted this past weekend up at state game land 13. I was surprised to find a lot of very large rubs/rub lines. Trees rubs that large are definitely not made by young'ns. I live in NJ and my area implemented antler restrictions years ago and it definitely has worked.
    Now rockin a PSE Phenom and Dominator 3d
    Put'n the work necessary for my success
    Respect is earned not bought
    "Do work son"

I know a lot of people in Mo say it is working. I heard a lot of negative about it when it went into effect. Takes a few years but

IMO any kind of buck managment helps.

Since The antler restriction

2011November 2011 052.jpg

Here are a couple since the restriction. I know they arent the biggest ones ever posted on AT, but for around this part of PA, they are nice deer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mathews Switchback XT and Darton Vapor 70# @ 28"Wisker Biscuit Rest, Sims stab.
    Viper Sights, Gold Tip arrows, NAP Spitfires/ Slick Tricks.

I wish all of NJ had antler restrictions!

Quote Originally Posted by belovian View Post
    I can honestly say the only difference i've personally seen has been an increase of the smaller scrubby bucks. We've had good genetics where I'm at in SW pa since I can remember, my uncle shot a 160 mainframe 10 two years before AR. It'd be foolish to say theres no big bucks, i was lucky enough to harvest a 126" 9 point with 20" spread this year, but i cant relate that to protecting 3 to a side, it was just lucky enough to make it to 2.5 years because im 99% positive he was legal last year. Even as poorly executed as the AR was, it would have worked 10 fold had PA stayed with 3 day antlerless rifle season after buck season. Its as simple as deer like deer. With the huge cut in doe numbers you will inturn see a cut in buck as well...if there's no doe to breed the buck will go where there are doe to breed, just as many people are saying in PA. If you are going to attempt to manage herds, You have to manage herds efficiently, AR is helpful, 80k antlerless tags with weeks of high power rifle is not.
    2013 Elite Pure 76#/31.5" - XT Hunters - 125g viper tricks

Wow!
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbs4421 View Post
    2011November 2011 052.jpg

here are a couple since the restriction. I know they arent the biggest ones ever posted on at, but for around this part of pa, they are nice deer.
    Now rockin a PSE Phenom and Dominator 3d
    Put'n the work necessary for my success
    Respect is earned not bought
    "Do work son"

Some will say no but I have to say that the buck have gotten a lot bigger around me. Now I will say the past two years havent been very good though.

ARs are NOT working out well in my area. In fact, I feel the genetics for producing larger racks (again, IN MY AREA) have gotten worse since the ARs went in effect. This is based on spotting, trail cam pics, and actually harvests. Sure, there are a couple nice buck taken every year around me. But no more than were taken in the 80's and 90's. The scary thing that I see now is that most 1.5 year olds are spikes and Y-bucks. Pre ARs, it was very common for the 1.5 year olds to be 6's and 8's. It was kind of rare to see a spike in the pre AR days.
    2014 Bowtech CPXL
    SH Hunter Hoggit/PNP/Hamskea/ACCs/NAP Quikspins/Wac'em Triton
    Life Member - United Bowhunters of PA, NRA

There's no school like the old school.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast