Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best 3d arrow for wife. 40# draw

best 3d arrow for wife. 40# draw

Just wondering what some of the women or light poundage shooters are shooting. im thinking a cxl 150.

i set my wife up with Black Eagles
    30# to 50# Carnivores for hunting.
    30# to 50# Clallengers for 3D and spots.
    these shafts are extremely durable and built with the same high tolerance as all other Black Eagle shafts
    she shoots 42# with her Ibex and Accomplice 34 with a 26"DL.
    Athens Factory Staff Shooter http://www.athensarchery.com/home 2012 Athens Recluse-----2013 Athens Judgement
    Perfection Turkey Calls ProStaff
    Straight N Arrow Staff www.snaarchery.com
    bcbowdesigns.com, Trinity Archery Field Staff---- Hamskea Archery Shooting Staff

If your not looking to spend a ton of cash take a look at the gt entradas. My wife shoots them pretty good
    2010 axe7

Both my Wife and Daughter draw 44-46 lbs and absolutely love their Goldtip Ultralight 600's. I did have a set of CXL 150 s but have found that arrow really likes and flies best with a heavy point. They tried but did not like that shaft lost too much speed for 3d. The 600's fly great with a glue in CDM point 70 grain weight and their arrows end up around 235 grains and fly like bullets. The Black Eagles mentioned by VAHUNTER01 haven't tried yet but look very interesting and I think also would be a better choice that the CXL.

Not the best choice. Find some old CX 100's. They will be lighter and faster. Then there are arrows like the axis in 600 spine but they are not a really light arrow. A Easton flatline 500 is actually lighter. This is all guessing on a 26 inch arrow weight You might shave a grain or two off of those I mentioned here but they are light, fast and fit the bill of what you are looking for in a 3D arrow for light draw weight.
    <+><

My wife is shooting 40 lb weight at 26.5" draw. I got her some CXL 150s and we just couldn't get them to fly good without a heavy point in the front...and once we did that, the arrow was so slow that it offset any advantage that a fat shaft might have given. I thought about going the Black Eagle route as well, but those shafts are .500 spine just like the CLXs are...meaning they would also favor a heavy tip and we'd be right in the same boat as the CXLs.

So I did like these other guys have already said...Gold Tip Ultralite Entrada shafts...600 spine with 80 grn target nibb. These are standard carbon size arrows but at 600 spine, they matched her bow better in spine selection and fly better than anything we've put through it yet. They are shooting 257 fps out of her bow. Another great choice are the Victory VAP shafts...they are real small diameter but you can get them in a good range of spine sizes that would fit the bill if you're after speed and good shooting. We rigged one up that was close to 230 grains and it shot right at 270 fps out of her bow in 600 spine. But they are about the diameter of a stick of spaghetti lol

I also would say go with the Gold Tip entrada 600's.both my wife in the oldest son has been using them for the last 2 years and have a lot of luck with them.my wife is shooting about 46 pounds and her arrows 25 1/2 inches with 2"blazers&screw in 75grpoint weighing in at 260grains+-

Quote Originally Posted by deer down View Post
    Just wondering what some of the women or light poundage shooters are shooting. im thinking a cxl 150.
    What is her draw length?

40# 26.5 draw length. She shoots a gold tip velocity 500 hundred now. Maybe a lighter 600 spine would be the way to go. Sounds like it anyways. Thanks for all the input

GT600 ultralights cut 27" 27.5" draw 40lbs

Quote Originally Posted by K&K View Post
    GT600 ultralights cut 27" 27.5" draw 40lbs
    Same for us and my wife's Diamond Razor Edge, except that her draw is 27". So's mine, which means I can shoot her bow and I do- the light draw is great for practicing releases.
    2009 Hoyt Alpha Max 32 @ 27", 62 lb.- Hunting
    2011 Hoyt Alpha Elite @27", 57 lb. - NFAA
    2011 Hoyt Contender @ 27", 52 lbs- Indoor Spots
    2012 Hoyt Vector Turbo @27", 57 lbs- 3D

Gt ultralight 600 at a 58lb 23inch draw is what the wife shoots with a 100g tip best set up we have made in 4 years with an ibo speed of 247 she is happy so hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Terminator View Post
    My wife is shooting 40 lb weight at 26.5" draw. I got her some CXL 150s and we just couldn't get them to fly good without a heavy point in the front...and once we did that, the arrow was so slow that it offset any advantage that a fat shaft might have given. I thought about going the Black Eagle route as well, but those shafts are .500 spine just like the CLXs are...meaning they would also favor a heavy tip
    Not so. my wife is shooting a 80gr glue in tip in her Challengers and a 85gr field point and 85gr slick trick with the Carnivores.
    both set-up is getting great flight and a perfect hole through paper.
    Athens Factory Staff Shooter http://www.athensarchery.com/home 2012 Athens Recluse-----2013 Athens Judgement
    Perfection Turkey Calls ProStaff
    Straight N Arrow Staff www.snaarchery.com
    bcbowdesigns.com, Trinity Archery Field Staff---- Hamskea Archery Shooting Staff

How light are yall getting the gt 600's

Cut at 27" with 3" feathers,80gr glue in points,dip and nock comes out to 256grs

Easton A/C/C's would be a good way to go. You could cut these to 25"

24.0-25.0" arrow:
    Size: 2-04
    Spine: 0.920
    6.50: gpi

Arrow weight (25): 162.5 gr
    Nock: 12 gr
    Point: 70 gr
    Feathers: 12 gr

Total Weight 256 gr

I built some Black Eagle Challenger 30/50's for my wife's 3D setup, and she just shot her first shoot with them this past weekend. She tore it up and was loving the new arrows. I put 100gr glue in's up front to keep FOC up and help with wind outdoors.
    Interested in a custom tune? Visit us at . . . . .

tatersarcherysolutions dot com

My wife is shooting hunter class and will need screw in points. Either 65. Or 75. Grain .

Easton Ion 600's. Very light and shoot flat!

My wife is shooting hunter class and will need screw in points. Either 65. Or 75. Grain .

Quote Originally Posted by VAHUNTER01 View Post
    Not so. my wife is shooting a 80gr glue in tip in her Challengers and a 85gr field point and 85gr slick trick with the Carnivores.
    both set-up is getting great flight and a perfect hole through paper.
    That's still a 500 spine arrow that is pretty heavy for a 40 pound draw weight. An ultra lite Challenger cut to length for that draw length that the OP specified (26.5)....with 85 grn nibb, g-nock adapter (or even standard nock adapter), nock, and fletching is going to be around 285 grains....just by taking the component weights and the shaft weight and adding it all up. Which is 85 grains over 5 grn per pound.

The OP said his wife is going to need screw in tips...so that means for the Challengers, the screw in insert weighs 30 grains by itself...when he puts his 75-80 grain tip in the front of it...he's looking at 110 grains up front....which is going to bring the total arrow weight up to around 310 grains rounded off....so he's right in the position I said we were in with the CXL 150s....good flight because of the heavy front end...but weighs so much the line cutting advantage is offset by such a loss in speed.

If the OP's wife is shooting known yardage...then no big deal....but if she's shooting unknown yardage...then that speed loss is going to really show if she's off by a little bit in her yardage.

I have 12 cx100s selects with glue in points, 6 have been cut and shot and 6 are full length, the 6 that are shot have pink blazers with zebra stripe pattern and look as new. pm me if interested.

75 grain points 275 grains total, 25 7/8 carbon to carbon.

Another vote for some older cx100's. pretty light and durable especially if you set them up w/ 3-60 unibushings and g-nocks in the back, and fletch w/ 2" feathers.

Gold Tip ultra lights they are a great arrow. 600 spine she would be able to shoot them to 47 pounds if needed.

If she is a beginner then the womens stake is basically 20 yds every shot so I would get a tough arrow such as a gold tip ultralight and be done with it. When she gets in shooting shape and can draw in the 50's lbs range then you can spend more time worrying about speed if she plans on backing up and shooting a class that is longer than 20 yds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast