Thread: string hitting arm

string hitting arm

I have a new bow that is 38 inches axle to axle. Is a longer bow like this more prone to have the string slap your arm?. Or would it be more likely because the draw length is too long.

Sounds like the draw length is a little long, can you shorten it? --BB

Draw length.

May need to adjust your grip...knuckles out at a 45 roughly degree angle..draw could be a touch long
    Hoyt faktor 34
    Hoyt podium elite on the way
    Black eagle arrows
    Pro staff for shrewd,walk on archery products, first string...

Could be your grip or draw length. More than likely your draw length.
    2014 Mathews Chill R 28" 64lbs, 85% Rock Mods, Axion GLX Gridlock 5 Pin, NAP Apache, KTech Tech 5, 28" 340 GT Exp. Hunters

It is a Mathews apex 7. I am shooting a 29 inch draw and would need to buy a 28 inch cam to shorten it

Draw length maybe too long, or form issue. How tall are you?
    My Favorite Compound Bows for Target Spot, Fingershooting, & Hunting:
    PSE Moneymaker X
    Hoyt Pro Comp Elite
    Mathews Apex 7 (*Best Original Versions Only)
    Elite Hunter and My Favorite Recurve * Bear Super Kodiak Recurve 65# *

Are you right handed or left handed?
    ~ 2013 PSE Stinger 3G ~ HHA Optimizer ~ QAD HDX ~ BeeStinger Stabilizer ~ TRU Ball Boss X ~ HogWire Custom Strings & Cables ~ Carbon Express Maxima ~ QAD Exodus Broad Heads ~
    ~ Mathews Apex 7 ~ CBE Tek Hybrid ~ QAD HDX ~ BeeStinger Stabilizers ~ TRU Ball Abyss ~ HogWire Custom Strings & Cables ~ Easton Flatline ~ Leupold Binoculars ~ Easton Hip Quiver ~

From what I've seen string slap is usually a grip issue. With proper form and grip I can shoot a bow with a draw length 3" long and still not hit my arm. But putting too much palm into the grip rotates your arm very close to the string and torques the bow at the same time, and you'll get string slap. Top pic is correct grip with thumb pad right of lifeline, bottom pic has too much palm on the grip which puts my arm right on the string.

Bear Mathews
    PSEHoyt
    Bowtech Elite

Get serious and catch us if you can refuse to follow!

as everyone said..it is most likely DL too long and/or grip issues. The only time I have had a string slap, was when I was first learning compound, and was because of my grip (too much hand in the grip)
    Podium X 37 spiral -CXL-SA scope
    PCE XL spiral X-CXL-SA scope
    PCE spiral X-CXLC-SA scope

dl too long...tip: next time your ready to shoot...take a half step forward with your right foot...don't move your left foot then aim at target...it will open up your stance.
    WHITETAILS, WHAT DREAMS ARE MADE OF
    CLOSE SHOT ARTIST

PSE AXE7--PSE DNA

Quote Originally Posted by kevfish View Post
    It is a Mathews apex 7. I am shooting a 29 inch draw and would need to buy a 28 inch cam to shorten it
    They have a 28.5" cam too. I also suggest wrapping your riser grip with some tape, it's easier to maintain a grip on that smooth polished metal riser.
    Go Retro!

same here shootin a bow that the DL is to long for me (loaner bow) and it was my grip.
    changed grip where my pinky was out and down resting on my stab , no more string slap.
    now working on holding the bow like in pic 1 above , no string slap.

nothing but a form issue.

do you hold the bow to shoot it? If so, stop doing that.

get a sling

knuckles between 30/45*...only thumb pad pushing from the center of the riser...arm naturally straight, not bent, not locked...fingers draped across the "back" of the riser---little to no pressure.

let the bow fall naturally at the target.
    USA Level 2 Instructor
    2012 PSE Supra ME, 47#,ACC, Davis sight;2012 Dominator Pro 3D 55#; DS Advantage; ACC's
    Win-Win Inno Carbon Riser/Tropics 36#(38 tof), Redline arrows 690- DS Advantage-282grn@ 195fps
    2011 Hoyt Vantage Pro, XT 2000, Sprls, Sure Loc W BE 6X, ACC's 408g @ 259

I've got to go along with how you're gripping your bow. A long draw length may promote what you're experiencing, but it doesn't cause it. Jellymon posted a couple of good pics. If your bow is in your grip hand and your hand is flexed away from your riser, your forearm rotates toward your string and you will hit it and as you know, it hurts. Sometimes a LOT!! I shot a bow with too long of a draw length for quite some time. By gripping the bow properly, string contact is not an issue. But if your bow does have too long of draw length, get the proper cam for it. Good luck.

Is there a string stop on that bow? Just an Idea